Search Unity

Unity / Visual Studio connection broken (Package Manager???)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ecurtz, Mar 10, 2019.

1. ecurtz

ecurtz

Unity 2018.3f5 and Visual Studio Mac Community Edition 7.8.2 absolutely refuse to work together. Unity can launch VS but it won't actually open the correct solution file or any files if I double click them in Unity. If I happen to try and open a file while Unity is in play mode it will often lock up and I have to force quit.

I wasn't see this issue in 2018.3f3 but I also upgrade VS, so I don't know which is to blame. Can't open anything from the 2019.1 beta either, so maybe that point to it being VS?

2. ecurtz

ecurtz

If anyone else hits this I finally had to downgrade Visual Studio to the version installed by the Unity 2018.3 installer.
    Never get off the boat... or upgrade Visual Studio.

3. ecurtz

ecurtz

Nope it's back.

A little more information: I believe it's related to either the Package Manager or using asmdef files in the project. It initially manifests as Visual Studio not recognizing a package that's been added via the package manager. At that point the Unity/VS connection is broken and it won't open any files from Unity. I seem to be able to reset it by deleting all the VS .sln etc. files and the Library folder in the project after quitting both apps.

4. ecurtz

ecurtz

Reported the bug
    Case 1136352
    Still happening but I found a semi-workaround. If I switch the External Editor preference from "Visual Studio" to "Open by file Extension" it will open the files... But not the VS Solution. :(