Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity VFX Graph Exponential Smoothing help

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by rawa_unity520, Feb 26, 2020.

1. rawa_unity520

rawa_unity520

How to do Exponential Smoothing in vfx graph unity? I’m using Azure kinect to connect my hand position (x axis only) to a float or a value, but it looks kinda jumpy and im trying to smooth out the number and make sure it transitions smoothly. would appreciate your help.

2. Olmi

Olmi

Hi @rawa_unity520,

I would smooth out the data before it goes to VFX Graph. Any particular reason why the smoothing should happen in there, not earlier?

3. rawa_unity520

rawa_unity520

Yes, I wanna do it inside vfx graph because i will be adding other values to it later. also it's something that i always wanted to achieve inside vfx graph.

not sure if you ever played around with Spark AR before, but they got a built in node for that, which it gives the value ease in and out with every change.

4. Olmi

Olmi

Smooth the value on the C# side of the things, pass the value to VFX Graph. Nothing prevents you from adding other values to it later inside VFX Graph. Sorry but I don't see the problem here. Besides, VFX Graph is not really capable of handling things like accumulating values over time to get an average or such.

5. rawa_unity520

rawa_unity520

i agree for that specific examples but in most cases i will be using it inside vfx graph. also im not a developer which is another barrier. you can easily achieve that in spark ar so thought might be slimier. pretty sure there's a way tho. thanks for the reply!