Search Unity

Unity VFX Graph Exponential Smoothing help

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by rawa_unity520, Feb 26, 2020.

1. rawa_unity520

rawa_unity520

How to do Exponential Smoothing in vfx graph unity? I’m using Azure kinect to connect my hand position (x axis only) to a float or a value, but it looks kinda jumpy and im trying to smooth out the number and make sure it transitions smoothly. would appreciate your help.

2. Olmi

Olmi

Hi @rawa_unity520,

I would smooth out the data before it goes to VFX Graph. Any particular reason why the smoothing should happen in there, not earlier?

3. rawa_unity520

rawa_unity520

Yes, I wanna do it inside vfx graph because i will be adding other values to it later. also it's something that i always wanted to achieve inside vfx graph.

not sure if you ever played around with Spark AR before, but they got a built in node for that, which it gives the value ease in and out with every change.

4. Olmi

Olmi

Smooth the value on the C# side of the things, pass the value to VFX Graph. Nothing prevents you from adding other values to it later inside VFX Graph. Sorry but I don't see the problem here. Besides, VFX Graph is not really capable of handling things like accumulating values over time to get an average or such.

5. rawa_unity520

rawa_unity520

i agree for that specific examples but in most cases i will be using it inside vfx graph. also im not a developer which is another barrier. you can easily achieve that in spark ar so thought might be slimier. pretty sure there's a way tho. thanks for the reply!

unityunity