Search Unity

Unity version usage [Updates Now in Publisher Forum]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Aras, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elzean

Elzean

I agree too.

My main issue with the other graph is because i'm color blind and i have lots of troubles to figure out which versions are on the graph...

twobob likes this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have the same problems, but I'm not colour blind. :)

3. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Still on 4.7.2 Now starting to consider to move to incoming versions due to Vulkan Single pass VR & The lightmapper which is essentially Beast whitch should have NEVER been removed. But theese features still seem to be in too early stage so....

4. Cuboom

Cuboom

Update would be nice. Thanks

5. s0manyth1ngs

s0manyth1ngs

Anyone have an update on version usage?

I'm preparing my first package as a publisher for the Asset Store. I would like to prep multiple versions so people don't have to rebuild broken materials, but I'm noticing even different packages within the same version seem to break assets (i.e. 5.0 to 5.6). It would be really useful to know the most common used versions for each unity build so publishers can prep/update accordingly and developers don't have to deal with broken assets.

Thanks!

Qbit86 likes this.
  6. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

5.4.1 should be enough.. Older versions does not support next-gen graphics features. And newr versions dose not has important features.

7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I second that!
    I also believe the "editor sessions" statistic is more useful than "editor downloads". As an asset store publisher, I'm interested to know how often a certain editor version is being used, rather than how often it has been downloaded.

8. larku

larku

Could we possibly get some updated stats?

9. SoundStormLabs

SoundStormLabs

Is there any update on the most recent versions? Where could I find this information? I literally did ctrl+f+"analytics" and the word "analytics" does not exist on Unity's home page, so I have no idea where to look.

alexanderameye and Nyarlathothep like this.
  10. AltSoftLab

AltSoftLab

Please update. Thanks

UnityLighting likes this.
  11. Nairda_Draziw

Nairda_Draziw

This is a valuable information. I add my voice, please update it.

UnityLighting likes this.
  12. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

There is updated information in the Publishers forum.

To Join the Publishers Forum - Active Publishers Only
    1. Refer to the email you receive when a package is accepted to the store.
    2. Find the section with the title "Continue the Conversation!"
    3. Fill out the form. Once a week or so, we'll go through and approve publishers. You'll then have access to the forum, which will be visible at the very bottom of the forum contents page.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    zwcloud, Peter77 and Mikilo like this.
  13. Mikilo

Mikilo

How can we access this forum?

14. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

To Join the Publishers Forum - Active Publishers Only
    1. Refer to the email you receive when a package is accepted to the store.
    2. Find the section with the title "Continue the Conversation!"
    3. Fill out the form. Once a week or so, we'll go through and approve publishers. You'll then have access to the forum, which will be visible at the very bottom of the forum contents page.

15. Mikilo

Mikilo

16. syscrusher

syscrusher

Hello, @AndrewAssetStore

I read your August 14 post, but that poses a problem here. I have an asset that I'm getting ready to submit to the store, but I need to decide how far back to support as I publish it. I've tested on Unity 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 2017.1, and 2017.2, but I am not sure whether it's worth supporting 5.4 or not. Since this is my first submission to the Store, I can't follow your suggestion to join the publishers' forum. Is there any other way to get a snapshot of the version usage data?

17. TonyLi

TonyLi

As of June 25, the number of users who used Unity for a significant amount of time were roughly:

Unity 5.6 and 2017: 65%
    Unity 5.5: 18%
    Unity 5.4: 8%
    Unity 5.3: 5%
    Unity 5.2: 1%

I'm eyeballing a chart, and I don't represent Unity, so please take this as completely unofficial.

My recommendation is to release on Unity 5.5+, since by now the percent of users on 5.4 is probably even lower.

18. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

If you've already tested on 5.4, and the percentage of users is more than zero, it seems a waste not to support it.

--Eric

19. TonyLi

TonyLi

I was once the fence about suggesting that. I think you're right, though. The major API changes are from 5.5 to 5.6, versus 5.4 to 5.5, so the additional support burden shouldn't be much. The thing that put me on the fence was that, as new Unity versions come out, the tail of older versions grows. There's something to say for making that tail reasonably short to start with.

20. syscrusher

syscrusher

Thanks, to both of you, for the extremely helpful replies.

My code works on 5.4 through 2017.2 with zero conditional compiles, so there's no extra "burden" to support 5.4. My concern was just what @TonyLi says, that I don't want to immediately start with a long tail of versions. The issue is my need to test with all those versions, plus new ones as they emerge, each time I fix a bug or add a feature.

Food for thought. I haven't made a final decision yet, but you've given me the raw data I need to make a well-informed decision. Many thanks!

21. DerDicke

DerDicke

22. ZimM

ZimM

Oh well. I guess it's time for me to drop Unity 4.x support... Good riddance.

AndrewAssetStore likes this.
  23. syscrusher

syscrusher

FWIW, I've decided to support 5.4 through 2017.2, but only (officially) the latest release of each major version (e.g., 5.4.6f3 but not 5.4.5, etc.). My code, even my custom shader, work correctly in all of these versions, modulo Unity's automated API updates along the way, so I see no reason to turn away potential customers. If I were starting from scratch on a new asset, though, I would probably drop 5.4.x and start with 5.5.x based on the numbers from @TonyLi, figuring that by the time I was done, the usage of 5.4 would drop further.

Thanks again for that info, really helpful.

24. SarfaraazAlladin

SarfaraazAlladin

Now that it's 2018, I would love to see an updated usage graph :) This thread is an amazing resource for asset store devs.

Qbit86 likes this.
  25. Mikilo

Mikilo

This is not going to be updated.

The graph is only available for publishers having access to the forum.

I put a link above.

26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've locked this thread now so that people can stop replying to it and be funnelled to the correct quoted answers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.