Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity version usage [Updates Now in Publisher Forum]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Aras, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

It's no biggie for me. If you want to support multiple versions, you need to test your package in these versions. Thus you have multiple Unity installed already.

2. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Can you publish a new graph for March to show off the Unity 5 usage? :)

3. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

I second this. :)

Vanamerax likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Me too... Unity 5 usage :) ... We want to see it ..

Vanamerax likes this.
  5. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Ness, Fenyx and Lex4art like this.
  6. jashan

jashan

Great! Thanks!

7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thanks a lot for the update! That's already quite a lot of Unity 5 users. I didn't think people would jump onto the Unity 5 wagon that quickly o_O

8. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Thanks for the update! :)

9. Physical_Liquid

Physical_Liquid

I second this motion!

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The lake ripples as a monstrous form stirs, perhaps awakened by the children that squeal and shout playing happily without care along the bank.

Nicrom and jashan like this.
  11. jashan

jashan

<scared>

12. diggerjohn

diggerjohn

As a side ... is it possible to look at a unity file and determine what version it was produced in?
    Or is there some other file in a project that would provide the info?

13. vividhelix

vividhelix

@diggerjohn - on windows, if you look at the properties of the .exe, the version number of the executable will be Unity's version number. I haven't found a way to change that to be a custom build number.

14. inas

inas

Hi @Aras

Is there any update on editor version percentage? Just like other publishers, we would love if unity also add this information on http://stats.unity3d.com/

ps: so we can stop bugging you ;)

15. Graph

Graph

Heyo @Aras can we have the new me? :D

16. isabelle

isabelle

Unity Technologies

Here is the numbers for June 2015 (Editor sessions by version numbers)
    4.3 3.2%
    4.5 7.8%
    4.6 31.4%
    5.0 40.0%
    5.1 17.6%

Graph, codestage, Lex4art and 7 others like this.
  17. TonyLi

TonyLi

I sometimes wonder if the only Unity 4.3 sessions are from asset developers like me working under the impression that people are still using 4.3 when in reality we might be the only ones generating sessions....

18. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Well as far as I understand the 4.6 sessions seem to be from people who's project has been in development for quite some time and dont want to risk problems with upgrading, or are people who are creating 2D games and have seen worse performance in Unity 5.0 as far as mobile goes, thus sticking to 4.6 for the time being. At least that is what I've gathered from posts here on the forum

19. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

The 4.3 sessions are probably people shipping console games who can't upgrade to 5.0.

20. AlmightyGames

AlmightyGames

I posted my first Unity Asset Store package this week, and found myself so confused about which version of Unity I should install to create the package. (I read through as much documentation as I could find on Google to try and figure out which version of Unity is best for creating packages in the store). I was torn between Unity 5.0.0 and Unity 4.5.0... From reading docs, I thought I understood that I would only be able to pick one of these formats. There was very little information for a newb about uploading your package in several formats. I honestly thought I was going to be forced to choose just one. So I uploaded my asset in 4.5.0 (first). Mainly because one of the docs I read suggested to choose the oldest version of Unity you can. I was curious if I could post more than one, so.. as a test, I uploaded 4.6.5 (next), and to my surprise, both versions appeared in my Publisher account as Unity Packages. I really wish this was better documented. So I went ahead and uploaded my current version of Unity, which was 5.1.1. By now, I had spent several hours just uploading packages, and was too tired to upload the same thing in 5.0.0. (I still haven't done so, and now the asset has been published. I guess it's a live and learn experience)

I told myself, for future reference, I'll be sure to only upload my assets in versions 4.5.0 and 5.0.0, since these seem to both still be highly used according to your statistics. It would be nice to see stats like that made available in the Unity Asset Store docs. I think more beginners would appreciate having an up-to-date statistics chart to help them make decisions like this. And maybe make it just a little bit clearer to the beginner that they should upload older versions of BOTH Unity 4 and 5, not necessarily the most recent release, unless it is required in order to use their asset.

Finally, I'd like to mention that I currently have four versions of Unity installed on my computer. v4.5.0, v4.6.5, v5.0.0 and v5.1.1 respectively. The ONLY reason I have versions 4.5.0 and v5.0.0 is to upload packages to the Unity Asset Store. I have v4.6.5 installed because I am developing a game that uses someone else's package which is not yet compatible with Unity 5. And I have Unity 5.1.1 installed for another project I am working on which requires no purchased or downloaded assets (all original). This seems like a lot of wasted space to me. I'd like to recommend that Unity investigates a different method for uploading packages and making things more compatible other than requiring people like me to install four different versions of some rather hefty software onto my machine. I have configured Unity to not automatically load the last project, so as to prevent all of my projects from getting auto-updated. I think this whole thing is a mess. But other than that.. I am very pleased to finally publish my first asset! :) Just wanted to share my recent experience..

NatalyCreates and Vanamerax like this.
  21. chingwa

chingwa

I have more than 10 different version of Unity installed :D Welcome to asset development!

randomperson42 and AlmightyGames like this.
  22. AlmightyGames

AlmightyGames

Wow! 10 versions? Seriously!?! Thanks for the welcome message. :) I wonder what you need 10 different versions for? (curious)

23. chingwa

chingwa

Only because I've had items on the store for 3 years... starting in Unity 3.5... I could probably get rid of all my 3.x versions at this point, so that would free up some space. Basically everytime there's a new version of Unity I usually have to load up all my assets to make sure they still run. You'd be surprised how many times something has broken between even minor versions... but my assets are quite complicated.

I bet I'm not alone though, we should do a poll about how many unity versions developers have on their hard drive :)

AlmightyGames likes this.
  24. TonyLi

TonyLi

About 10 for me, too. If a customer contacts you for support, you want to be able to reproduce the issue with the same version of Unity that they're using.

25. AlmightyGames

AlmightyGames

Ahh! Now that makes sense! Thanks for sharing. I guess I am going to need a second hard drive. :)

26. TonyLi

TonyLi

Also what @chingwa wrote. If you write a script for Unity 4.5.0, Unity 4.6.6 might log a warning about deprecated methods. Same for changes from 5.0 to 5.1 and beyond. Before submitting, you'll want to test your scripts on as many versions of Unity as you can.

27. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Most of the space Unity uses is because of the playback engines, so if you have versions of Unity you're only using for uploading, just delete the playback engines.

--Eric

28. Saxi

Saxi

Would be nice to have a checkbox during install to not install them.

Vanamerax and randomperson42 like this.
  29. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yeah that's in the plans.

Anyway, updated first post in this thread to reflect Unity editor version usage for 2015 July.

codestage, Lex4art and Peter77 like this.
  30. Kronnect

Kronnect

Good to know users move on to newer versions quite fast. That means lot of innovation spreading!

What's the average delay between launch and getting the majority (>50%) of user base on that release? 6 months?

31. lasse

lasse

Unity Technologies

Updated Asset Store downloads stats for the last couple of months. Good pickup of 5.1 and a predictably steady but slow decline of 4.x users.

Attached Files:

Ness, Lex4art, Baroni and 1 other person like this.
  32. patrik-org

patrik-org

Just what I was after. Thank you :)

33. aboccala

aboccala

Any update for September 2015 ? would be curious to see how Unity 5.2 is changing the overall picture

34. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Second that, Curious to see how well 5.2 is being picked up

Kronnect likes this.
  35. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Updated first post with current editor version share.

aboccala, ZimM, codestage and 4 others like this.
  36. TonyLi

TonyLi

FWIW, despite my speculation earlier, Unity 4.x sessions are not just limited to asset developers building assets in 4.6 under some mistaken impression that people still use it. I still get at least a few emails every week from people who really are using 4.6. (But nothing earlier than 4.6 in at least 6 months.)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  37. codestage

codestage

It's a reasonable and expected behavior since update to Unity 5 requires license update for the Pro version users and many people started projects in 4.x and project upgrade to the 5.x may be too harmful for them and too costly to maintain.

38. aboccala

aboccala

Aras,
    Could we have one more update of the current stats from November ?
    Unity 5.3 out now and 4.6 now very close to end of life, I think the latest figures could be a lot different than the ones from October.

39. Saxi

Saxi

4.x maybe end of life, but a lot of people use it as 5.x is still a mess. Probably not a lot % wise, but a lot of people that actually ship.

40. Kronnect

Kronnect

Is it? For me, 5.1.1p4 on MacOSX is quite stable and resource efficient ... when you use know its limitations. I have got used to some Mono Debug crashes/Unity hangs, aborted my WebGL project in favour of mobile and a few more issues with UI (Inputfields, auto scaling, ...), but generally speaking I have been able to pass over those things...

41. aboccala

aboccala

Unity 5 might have a few more bugs than the old Unity 4, but I find that nature, Unity5 being younger than 4.x;
    however I personally find the latest Unity 5.1.4 and 5.2.3 fairly stable; I haven't tested Unity 5.3 too much though...

42. aboccala

aboccala

Either way, some updated stats graphs would be at least a good "hint" on latest trends...

43. Lockethane

Lockethane

@Aras Have you guys thought about making this like the hardware stats like Oliver mentioned? I.E. being able to see trends over time more easily, more accessible?

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  44. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I'd like to have it, yeah. The problem is, it does not happen automatically and everyone's busy doing something else :)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  45. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Updated 1st post with 2015 December data.

tobiass, Lex4art, Baroni and 3 others like this.
  46. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Thanks for sharing the info,
    an update regarding Asset Store customers unity version could prove very useful too.

47. Trinary

Trinary

I find it interesting that most Unity devs are using PC, but almost all of the large established game development houses that I've been to lately are on 100% macs. I think the two groups would have different buying behavior.

48. ZimM

ZimM

Nothing beats Visual Studio + ReSharper for C# development. MonoDevelop is a joke. I'm pretty sure this is a big part of the reason why.

49. Trinary

Trinary

I agree, and I've asked a couple of companies why they were using macs, and they said that they do it because it's really difficult to track down iphone specific exceptions (which do happen too often to be ignored) when you're on a PC. So I suspect that a large portion of that 15.7% mac users is from established development houses.

50. recursive

recursive

You also need to take into account the dynamic of those of us who split our 2 installs between a PC and a Mac.
    I do general development on my PC at home, but I always do mobile work on my Macbook pro, since I can test iOS features directly on the devices themselves.

I'm still more productive using Visual Studio, as are all the other programmers I work with that do heavy-duty Unity dev.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.