Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity version usage [Updates Now in Publisher Forum]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Aras, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

So I looked at unity editor usage (from analytics). Thought that might be useful in deciding which unity versions to support in your AS packages. Here's data from last month (2015 Nov 19 - Dec 19), excluding sessions from beta versions. OS share is 84.3% Windows, 15.7% Mac.

UnityVersions2015Dec.png

Older data from 2015 October:
    UnityVersionUsage2015Oct.png

Older data from 2015 July:
    UnityVersions2015July.png

Older data from 2015 March:
    UnityVersions2015Mar.png

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  2. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

Thanks Aras.
    This is a huge help :D

BenHuang likes this.
  3. chingwa

chingwa

Is this actual editor usage... or is this unity versions logging into the asset store? does the editor automatically log statistics back to UT when it runs? I would love to believe the above and dump 3.5 support for my assets. :D But somehow I just don't believe the statistics.

Perhaps 3.5 users are just an extremely vocal minority.

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

This is % of total editor sessions (of the ones that did not have analytics disabled in preferences).

5. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Thank you for the September update.
    It would be cool to have those stats available somewhere regulary, like you do with the hardware stats. If it's not too much to ask :)

6. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Argh, you are reminding me I have to go and publish new hardware stats! :)

7. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

No beta data?

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

4.3 still has a big enough share and would be the recommended version i guess

9. orb

orb

I'm guessing 100% of the beta users use the beta ;)

AlanMattano and Kiwasi like this.
  10. BHS

BHS

We tried to find these statistics before, but couldn't. This is very useful information. It should be part of Unity publisher's section and be updated every couple of months.

We no longer have to waste weeks of development to also support Unity version 3 users when they are almost nonexistent.

Thanks again for the information. I hope this can be continued for feature versions of Unity.

11. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Current beta usage (2014 September): 81.5% sessions using 4.6; 6.6% using 5.0; the rest various versions of 4.5.x and 4.3.x patch releases before they were released. Total number of sessions using beta versions is close to 10% of total editor sessions.

12. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Really useful, thanks!

13. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Updated with 2014 December data.

14. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

I thought a lot would be still reluctant to update to 4.6, so I also kept my 4.5 Unity. :D

15. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Wow i would have thought most people were on 4.6 by now for the new UI

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

4.3.4 is still the best choice for asset developers i suppose. I will postpone upgrading until this is down to 4.2 levels.

17. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

4.6 is still very new. Many productions are in-progress, and it can be risky to upgrade mid-production.

That said, for all iOS users I'd strongly advise to upgrade to 4.6. Unity 4.6-based version is the oldest one that will get 64 bit iOS & Metal support soon (of course 5.0 will get that too).

18. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Very useful, Indeed ! Thanks a lot Aras !

19. lasse

lasse

Unity Technologies

For Asset Store logins for the past 3 months, the numbers look something like this:

3.1 <0.001 %
    3.2 <0.01 %
    3.3 0.01 %
    3.4 0.10 %
    3.5 0.74 %
    4.0 0.36 %
    4.1 0.39 %
    4.2 0.75 %
    4.3 8.50 %
    4.5 62.05 %
    4.6 24.82 %
    5.0 2.25 %

/L

20. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Also very useful info!

21. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

It's (probably?) a terrible thing to ask....

But is it possible to have geo-located stats? Especially for market comparison as they skew the results terribly (I'm looking at you China!).

Thank you in advance Aras!

ChrisSch likes this.
  22. jtok4j

jtok4j

Wow, this is just what I was wondering last week!

Thanks for this info. It is exactly what I needed to know for my packaging on the AssetStore. :D

randomperson42 likes this.
  23. jashan

jashan

Awesome - this is very useful! Thanks Aras and Lasse! So 4.6 is still a little behind but I'm sure that will change rather quickly.

24. jerotas

jerotas

Anyone know why so many people are on 4.3 still?

25. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

I guess many project was on going since forever and people won't risk doing the upgrade to unity 4.5 or 4.6 as there are major changes. Actually I myself saw that some android devices can not load games built with Unity 4.5+ but working fine with 4.3 builds, all with the same source code... Not sure if it's a bug or something but to be safe, I always used 4.3 to build for Android

26. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Console platforms, perhaps.

27. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Not that many people doing console games (by a long shot); anyway they'd probably be using 4.4.

--Eric

28. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

No, a number of the console platforms are still stuck on 4.3. I say 'perhaps' because I'm not sure what percentage of our users are likely to be in that situation, but "I'm targeting a console for which 4.3 is the only option" is the most compelling reason to be on 4.3.

29. vividhelix

vividhelix

Silly question, but can't find where I can set what Unity version my asset supports. I looked inside Unity and also on the web interface...

30. jerotas

jerotas

You can't. Unfortunately the minimum version is auto-filled with whatever Unity version you're using when you submit the asset for review. So keep a version of whatever version that is around. I have 5 version of Unity installed myself.

31. vividhelix

vividhelix

Do you know if I resubmit if that will update the minimum version? I'll try that for my next submission...

Either way, thanks for the answer.

32. jerotas

jerotas

Yes it will :) No problem.

33. vividhelix

vividhelix

One more silly question...my asset currently says only available for 4.6.1 - does that mean that users with lower versions won't see in in the asset store? Or will they see it, but not be able to install it?

I've almost always ran the latest version of (non-beta) unity so haven't run into any packages I couldn't install, but not sure how it all works...

34. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yes.

--Eric

35. vividhelix

vividhelix

I'm still amazed at how much better these forums work than unity answers - I used to spend some time there helping out, but this here feels much livelier.

Thanks!

ChrisSch likes this.
  36. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Same here. I used to spend all the time in unity answers asking Qs and answering Qs, and then I moved to the forums and sort of forgot all about answers. But then again I didn't ask any questions in a while that weren't a discussion. :D

37. afonseca

afonseca

38. RichardKain

RichardKain

Extremely useful. I was beginning to think about what past versions I would want to target for support for my Asset Store plug-in. 4.5 and above was a given. I believe I heard that the new version control tools in the Asset Store manager are pretty keen. I'll check in on them when I get home, and see what they provide. My new version is going to be more segmented, so I could easily create a more backwards-compatible version. With this data, I'm thinking targeting anything before version 4.0 would be a waste of time.

39. jashan

jashan

Hi @Aras and @lasse, now that Unity 5 is out, and 4.6 has been out for a little while - would you mind sharing updated data? This is super-userful ... maybe there's also a way to integrate both of these statistics (editor versions overall and editor versions used to log into the asset store) right into http://stats.unity3d.com/editor/ - that would be even better; but as long as there's updates in this thread every few months, I'm fine :)

40. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Also, any chance of publishing the Windows/Mac split? Am thinking of publishing an editor asset that would require dependency on Windows-only code...

41. RichardKain

RichardKain

I'm actually doing the same thing. I was planning on throwing in a pre-compiler conditional to remove the Windows-dependent feature from other platforms. It would be informative to know what kind of reach I would be able to expect from the full version of the editor script.

42. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Better still, please add the functionality to stats.unity3d.com

Kiwasi likes this.
  43. Saad_Khawaja

Saad_Khawaja

Is it just me or is it an incredibly basic functionality that Unity should just add to the Package Manager? Just choose the minimum version the asset will run on.

That and the ability to buy assets from your store credits. It seems like nobody at Unity wants to improve the asset store any more.

44. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That's determined by the version of Unity you use to upload. It can't be feasibly be done any other way.

Why make blatantly unfounded accusations like that? They've been continuously adding and improving stuff since the day it was introduced. Just recently they completely overhauled the update process (most of the functionality aside from the actual uploading was moved the web site), and added the ability to upload multiple versions of the same package, among other things.

--Eric

45. RichardKain

RichardKain

I'm very much looking forward to using this new feature! Definitely going to take advantage of it for my next version update.

46. Saad_Khawaja

Saad_Khawaja

Oh. Ok. I take my words back as I I haven't created any asset for a while so need to check again.

I completely disagree with this. Why do I have to lose the market share of say Unity 4.3 when I make an asset in Unity 4.6 knowing that it will work on lower versions? Why not just have a combo/list in which you have to choose the minimum version of the asset before uploading? It's easy to add - give me a good reason why it shouldn't be added.

And also, I suppose paying from store credits is an essential feature which has been overlooked for the past few years now. Half of Envato's sales are from the users who pay from their earnings on the stores (themeforest, graphicriver etc)

47. jashan

jashan

Um ... you STOLE MY IDEA! ;-) EVILLL! ;-)

<runsBecauseHeTauntedAHippoWhichOnlyFewEverSurvive>

But yeah, I agree with hippo and myself that it would be awesome to have it on the stats-page ;-) ... so I guess that already makes us at least three.

48. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You can't guarantee any compatibility if you manually select it. Only actually being in the appropriate version of the editor can do this. This has been discussed before and this is the answer from the engineers.

--Eric

Socrates likes this.
  49. jashan

jashan

Because most likely, it will actually not work when you have used Unity 4.6 to do the upload. Almost certainly it will not work. You usually cannot open packages built with new versions of Unity in older versions of Unity. You might be able to, but you're on very slippery ground and it's kind of likely that there will be some weird stuff going on that you didn't expect.

And the thing is: If you really know that it will work on lower versions, this means that you've just tested your package in that lower version. Then why not use that version to do your upload?

twobob likes this.
  50. lasse

lasse

Unity Technologies

@jashan is pretty much spot on. There are cases opening newer packages in older Unity versions is known to work and other cases where it definitely won't. And then there are the other 99% of the cases where it probably will (not) work.

Up until 5.0 we've assumed 100% backwards compatibility (old package, new editor) and 0% forwards compatibility (new package, old editor) because it was the safe thing to do. With between 500 and 800 new packages on the store every month, that kind of safety matters now more than ever.

That said, downloading from an editor older than the one used to upload makes sense sometimes. A recent example involved a publisher moving on from 4.3 to 4.6.2 where a customer was stuck with a project on 4.6.1. In cases like that "computer says no" is a sucky policy from a customer point of view. So we are considering loosening up a bit on this. Be prepared for big red warnings about fire, brimstone and spontaneously self-combusting projects if and when that happens... :)

In any case, requiring publishers to upload from the oldest Unity version(s) they want to support is not unreasonable I think.

Socrates likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.