Search Unity

Question Unity UWP Windows app package certification fails, errors & dump file below, please help.

Discussion in 'Windows' started by EdwinOlima, Jan 30, 2023.

1. EdwinOlima

EdwinOlima

Validation result – failed everything else passes

Deployment and launch tests

PASSED

Bytecode generation

FAILED

Platform version launch

· Error Found: The high OS version validation detected the following errors:

o Cannot launch App

o Cannot launch App

o The app appname 2.2.2.0_x86__v723f335pbkb8 failed platform version launch test.

· Impact if not fixed: The app should not use version information to provide functionality that is specific to the OS.

· How to fix: Please use recommended methods to check for available functionality in the OS. See the link below for more information.

PASSED

App launch

FAILED

Crashes and hangs

· Error Found: The crashes and hangs test detected the following errors:

o Executable C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\appname_2.2.2.0_x86__v723f335pbkb8\Joy Striker.exe was detected by Windows Error Reporting and experienced a crash or hang.

o Application appname_2.2.2.0_x86__v723f335pbkb8 was detected by Windows Error Reporting and experienced a crash or hang.

o Crash dump file C:\Users\edwin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\AppCertKit\appname.exe.80412.dmp was created by Windows Error Reporting and provides additional information.

· Impact if not fixed: An app that stops responding or crashes can cause data loss and is a poor user experience.

· How to fix: Investigate and debug the app to identify and fix the problem.

Dump Summary

------------

Dump File: appname.exe.80412.dmp :

Last Write Time: Mon 30 01 2023 21:51:29

Process Name: appname.exe : C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\...appname …r_2.2.2.0_x86__v723f335pbkb8\appname.exe

Process Architecture: x86

Exception Code: 0xC0000005

Exception Information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

Heap Information: Not Present

System Information

------------------

OS Version: 10.0.22621

CLR Version(s):

Modules

-------

Module Name Module Path Module Version

----------- ----------- --------------

Joy Striker.exe C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\appname_2.2.2.0_x86__v723f335pbkb8\appname.exe 0.0.0.0

ntdll.dll C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 10.0.22621.1105

verifier.dll C:\Windows\SysWOW64\verifier.dll 10.0.22621.1

vrfcore.dll C:\Windows\System32\vrfcore.dll 10.0.22621.755

vfcompat.dll C:\Windows\System32\vfcompat.dll 10.0.22000.194

kernel32.dll C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll 10.0.22621.1105

KERNELBASE.dll C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll 10.0.22621.1105

user32.dll C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll 10.0.22621.1105

win32u.dll C:\Windows\System32\win32u.dll 10.0.22621.608

gdi32.dll C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll 10.0.22621.608

gdi32full.dll C:\Windows\System32\gdi32full.dll 10.0.22621.963

msvcp_win.dll C:\Windows\System32\msvcp_win.dll 10.0.22621.608

ucrtbase.dll C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll 10.0.22621.608

verifier.dll C:\Windows\System32\verifier.dll 10.0.22621.1

wow64cpu.dll C:\Windows\System32\wow64cpu.dll 10.0.22621.608

2. StrangeWays777

StrangeWays777

Bump. We're having the same problem.

3. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Was your game rejected from the Microsoft Store submission with this error? Or did you see this when running certification locally?

4. EdwinOlima

EdwinOlima

I wrote to Microsoft support and they said my online security package was causing the problem. This was relaxed and the file uploaded to MS Store packages but the following errors arose about the package:

upload_2023-3-4_14-16-8.png
    The Manifest file looks something like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<StoreManifest xmlns=http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/2015/StoreManifest>

<Dependencies>

<DirectXDependency Name="D3D11_HWFL_10_0" />

</Dependencies>

</StoreManifest>

In addition if one tries to create x64, Visual Studio certification check throws error as shown further below:

upload_2023-3-4_14-17-25.png

dump file attached.

So the only packages one can create are x86, ARM, and ARM64. These packages will pass the Windows App Certification Kit (but with warning below because deployment & launch tests cannot be done, i.e. one cannot check box below). When the app packages created are uploaded to Microsoft Dev Dashboard, they generate the errors shown at the start of this post above.
    upload_2023-3-4_14-18-10.png
    I tried doing all the above with a plain empty project from Unity Editor using all standard defaults and I cannot upload to the Microsoft Store. They are looking into it as well, but if you could reproduce the problem and advise that would help as well. many thanks.

The recent response from Microsoft is below, and it would be good if Unity to get together with them to sort out the issue, please. thanks

REPLY FROM MICROSOFT - UNITY PLEASE ASSIST
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. We are reviewing your request and will follow up when we have additional information.

Please let us know if you need any additional assistance.

Thank you,
    Microsoft Store Team

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  5. TheoIO

TheoIO

@EdwinOlima I am having the same exact issue. I fail the exact same tests. ( Cannot Launch App - even though the app runs fine on every device I have tested ).
    Was the fix to disable Windows Defender? Or something in Unity?

For the xml issue I had the same issue too - fix was to just copy and paste the first line of this sample xml over the same file in Visual Studio - they don't even look different but somehow this fixes it and VS shows no squiggly line under the xml after I have done this.

6. EdwinOlima

EdwinOlima

Theo, thanks for the tip on the StoreManifest.xml file, it worked!

With regards the software that was blocking my upload, it was the "Online Security" setting that my internet provider has for my account. Using it, a web app, one can block access to gaming sites, social media sites from our home network. So what I had to do was, not to block these websites, and then I was able to upload the gameapp packages to Microsoft App store.

7. TickTockTech

TickTockTech

There's a UTF-8 non-breaking space (U+FEFF) as the first character. Can be deleted by opening the StoreManifest.xml file pressing Home to go the the very start and pressing Del to delete the invisible character.

8. TheoIO

TheoIO

Thanks @TickTockTech - I submitted a bug report. Hopefully it gets fixed.

TheSleepyKoala and EdwinOlima like this.
  9. TheSleepyKoala

TheSleepyKoala

@TickTockTech I also came across this weird issue when I attempted to upload my .appxupload packages; somewhat odd that it's an issue, to begin with. :/

10. lindwurm_co_jp

lindwurm_co_jp

Unhandled exception at 0x76442579 (gdi32full.dll)

Attached Files:

11. DarkFact

DarkFact

I had the same issue with StoreManifest.xml. I used the above fix and that addressed that problem. It was indeed just a bugged generated character at the start of line 1 in the xml. However it still can't build out for me I get:

upload_2023-7-9_20-7-24.png

The same thing is kicking out for me. loads and runs fine when I run them on any configuration meant for those packages about 15 different systems meant for x64, Xbox, and Arm64. I have checked, rechecked and double checked everything I can think of and I can't find out why it won't certify the app. I am getting pretty desperate to get this done. If anyone has any advice, I am all ears. Tried building (Clean), I have made sure nothing changes anything that shouldn't, fixed the xml and still it won't get any further. I also make sure to empty my build folder, so it is making a build to an empty folder, not over writing things. It just drops those two errors. But I can't replicate those fails at all under any test conditions I create. Thanks in advance for any pointers. This is a completely empty 2D project that works fine and a 2D URP project that seems to work just fine but still won't pass cert. As a side note I did notice it has the previous company name in there of PixelSkull when it should be wolf pack so I don't know if maybe that will help.

12. DarkFact

DarkFact

Small update it works when tested online with the xml fix but not with the local app cert that fires off when you do the initial package creation from VS2022