Search Unity

Question Unity uses all available memory on startup and crashes my computer

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by unity_6E2B144A3B115A54FB05, May 13, 2022.

1. unity_6E2B144A3B115A54FB05

unity_6E2B144A3B115A54FB05

This seems to happen pretty much always: I create a new project, and when loading it up my memory usage will quickly ramp up to 100%. While it's resolving packages it will usually hang up my machine, so much that it freezes and I can't do anything but hard restart it.

For some reason after several attempts I managed to actually open a project and play around with it for a while, before it crashed, and after that I wasn't able to open it again, this time getting stuck on "Initial asset database refresh"..
    To be fair I managed to open the same project a second time, after several (around 10) attempts, only for it to keep eating my RAM once it opened, and crash my computer soon after.

I've tried both with version 2021.3.2f1 and 2022.1.0f1, same result (except I managed to get it to work only with the 2022 version)

So far I've tried:
    • Reinstalling Unity/changing version
    • Installing both with and without Unity Hub (it seemed to give issues initially)
    • Removing the Temp folder inside the project
    • Running diagnostics on my memory to rule out a hardware issue
    • Disable Windows Defender and Firewall
    • Disable my VPN
    • Run Unity with -noUpm

Some more info:
    • I'm running on 16GB of RAM and all in all a decent rig, this has never happened to me before;
    • I've installed the Android support module, with the SDK and everything;

For science I'll try with Unity 2019, but really so far my experience has been incredibly frustrating.
    EDIT: Unity 2019.4.39f1 seems to work fine.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Anything in unity log files that could hint at the problem?

3. unity_6E2B144A3B115A54FB05

unity_6E2B144A3B115A54FB05

I can't make much out of it, but maybe it's hinting at something?
    Editor log: https://pastebin.com/xyvVG0tv
    Upm log: https://pastebin.com/ZUKCQcx7
    These logs were from a newly created project using Unity 2022.1, I think it failed before even trying to get the packages.

Also, the 2019.4.39f1 version seems to work so far.

4. Spectrellian

Spectrellian

Dont know if anyone still has this Problem but for me it seems to happen when I am connected to a VPN, in my case Mullvad VPN. If active Unity keeps loading the RAM until the computer crashes.

Turning off the VPN and restarting Unity Hub and Unity worked for me to fix this. Quite annoying though