Search Unity

Unity User Conference: Unite 2007!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jun 4, 2007.

1. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

For people who can't make it, a good solution could be to set up your own user groups and meetings in your area and invite ones that may have expertise in certain areas to your local user group meetings.

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

You're right Taumel. You win.

3. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I wouldn't bother buying a ticket to San Francisco if the conference were some 100% free hippy love-in in Golden Gate Park or whatever.

I don't think it'd do well for OTEE's image, either.

-Jon

4. taumel

taumel

@HiggyB
    This is not about winning. And this is also not about what i can afford or not. It's a discussion about how such things could be organized better so that it's affordable for more. $300-$400 are not the same for everyone and all over the world. If i think of a lot of indy-dev lists then this is too high but as i said maybe these are not the people you want to show up there.

5. drJones

drJones

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

We're sorry that not everyone can afford it but we still feel it's a fantastic offering for the price for those that can make it. We definitely want all users if possible but that's just not possible. I'll say it again: no matter what the cost, no matter where it's located, some folks won't be able to afford it or make the trip. Does that mean we specifically don't want them there? Certainly not.

Thanks for your feedback, your thoughts will be considered when we plan future conferences.

7. Samantha

Samantha

I'm sure even if the conference were $0, some people would still manage to find new imaginitive ways to complain.

8. taumel

taumel

@drJones
    Any google coordiantes? :O)

9. hsparra

hsparra

Thank you for the responses :D The insight helps temendously. I plan to definitely poke around some more. My preference is close to the conference, so it is good to know more about the area. After I do some more research I will post back. If others want to stay at the same place I would be happy to inquire about getting a block discount.

10. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I agree that for some the airfare will be the bridge they can't cross, but I think that'll be true wherever Unity holds conferences ... west or east coast of North America, Charles G's apartment in NYC, Europe etc. It'll always be the airfare.

But I personally think that the conference pricing itself is a steal. I'd probably plead with my wife to let me spend twice that amount and still think it's a great bargain.

I am going. Scraping everything I have to go, but definitely going (missing both my mom's and my sister's birthdays to be there). [If only to shamelessly sell Widget Monkeys t-shirts :D ]

11. StarManta

StarManta

If airfare to the site is $200 (a steal), hotel for 3 days is $100 (yet another steal), and food for 3 days is $100, that's $400. How many people do you know that are in the narrow range where they can afford $400, but not $700?

And if you really think that $100/day/person is a lot of money for a conference, I'd like to see you plan one for less. (I mean, seriously, I would. More conferences are better.)

12. nafonso

nafonso

The conference is not expensive. Just for some of you to get an idea, prices for some AI conferences were much higher. One that I recall is ACE (www.ace2007.org) where the prices where €550-€750 (or €350-€450 if you were a student).

I personally only think that it is expensive because of the plane ticket, from Portugal the flight alone is around €1000. But this is because I'm a student, if I was a working and had some spare money, I would probably try to attend it anyway.

Regards,
    Afonso

PS: The prices from ACE in my opinion are not only stealing but also raping you! :wink:

13. ktravers

ktravers

I have been to many conferences all over the world and this is a very fair price at least from my basis of comparison. I'm glad you are putting it on and I can't wait!! See you there! Thank you!

14. podperson

podperson

This seems like an amazing opportunity and a great deal -- so I hope it happens. That said, Unity is a hobby for me and not my day job, so holding it on weekdays means I need to take leave from work -- adding to the effective cost (we Americans get terribly short vacations).

Anyway, I hope I can figure out a way to make it.

15. hsparra

hsparra

I plan on being there. I just don't know right now what city I will be coming from.

16. Lka

Lka

How many days per year?

17. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

For most Americans 2 weeks is considered generous... or top of the line. Americans gather up to 2 weeks per a year vacation time as they work for a company for several years. It's considered a bonus. Most other countries will find this crazy. I personally get zero vacation time at my current job since I haven't been working there long enough to earn it. In fact I've never "earned" a proper vacation at any comnpany I've ever worked for... typical for the American workforce though.

Ethan

18. Lka

Lka

Yes, it's insane! :D
    At least you (in general) earn more money..
    :(

19. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

And while that's generally true for nearly all companies I was lucky enough to be at two that broke the mold. At Macromedia and then Adobe I received 5 weeks of vacation per year, but it took me eight years of employment to build up to that amount (new employees get two weeks per year, after two years there are periodic increases).

The conference creeps closer y'all!

20. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I don't think it's that bad, or else it's a regional thing (and my state's near the bottom, economically). I've never started with less than 2 weeks (10 days), and made it to 3 weeks at one job (4 weeks required 20 years, which wasn't gonna happen. ;) ). These weren't high-end executive jobs or anything, either.

Yep, I did some searching, and it seems the average number of vacation days in the U.S. is 13. However that's behind that of Europe/Canada/Japan/etc...in some cases way behind....

--Eric

21. pete

pete

pretty much i am always on vacation but i never get a day off. :?

22. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I don't find it that bad either (well personally I'd love two weeks of paid vacation), I feel lucky just to have full medical coverage... but that's a whole other ball of wax :wink:

But I think the average in most of Europe is around a month, plus their average work week is around 35 hours?

Anyway, to bring this back around to the Unity conference, I'll be taking a week off without pay :roll:

23. Lka

Lka

I think the average in Europe is 40 hours, I know in France they have 35 hours but this is not a great deal because I've read they had pay reduced and most of them still work 40 hours for less money.

24. GusM

GusM

Any chance for the users who will not be able to assist, to get somebody capturing the main coferences? I would really love to get them...

25. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Great idea! At the very least making them available in PDF or whatever format.

26. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Gus and Davey: we'll be posting the session materials after the conference for sure, and on top of that I'm making arrangements to have preo session videos recorded and posted as well. :)

27. GusM

GusM

Very cool, they will be really usefull for all. Thank you so much.

28. AaronC

AaronC

Thats good news HiggyB, Thanks
    AC

29. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I'm finally booked now. See everyone there!

30. hsparra

hsparra

Can you tell us at what level the "Shading and Shadows" session will be at? In other words, how good will we need to be at shaders to follow along?

31. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

That session won't be one that focuses on in-depth custom shader writing in particular so you don't need to be a shader guru to benefit from the session. Rather it's focus will be a bit more general, discussing how one uses shading and shadows efficiently and effectively.

32. VeganApps

VeganApps

For those who can't be there it would be great if someone at the Unite would record the lectures and share these videos.
    Then the whole community could profit by this great meeting.

Of course only if this is OK with the organizers.
    Hmm... I wonder if it is. :|

33. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:39 pm

So the "someone at Unite" that will be recording these is us, OTEE.

:)

34. VeganApps

VeganApps

Woops. :oops:
    Didn't read the whole thread..... -skiped some posts *ducks*

:idea:

That's wonderful news! I'll definitely watch and work through everything.

:mrgreen:

35. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

It happens, no worries... :D

36. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

This might be an inappropriate question to ask for several reasons, but I'm curious what the sign up rate is so far for Unite... I really hope a lot of people are going, but you never can tell how successful something like this will be.

37. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I don't have the total attendance count on hand at the moment but I can say that they seem to be well within our expected range so we're happy with things so far. And in case folks missed it, we extended the early registration deadline by offering a rebate coupon that can be used through August 20th (it gets you the same price as the early registration price):

UNITESPECIAL

So if you're not signed up already and considering going, then get to it and you can still save $100!

38. podperson

podperson

I have no complaints about the location or the conference price ... but I live on the other side of the country and it would come out of my very limited vacation time. I hope it goes well and you at least break even, because it's a great thing you're doing.

39. heyyeah

heyyeah

hi, did anyone else have issues with the coupon today? I'm reading through August 20 as including August 20.. which is fast coming to a close here.. just got my leave approved.. so hoping someone can tell me how to fix.. i'm getting 'not a valid rebate coupon' regards, heyyeah

40. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

A few folks (heyyeah included) have had issues with the extended rebate coupon and have been taken care of. If there are others in the same position then please drop me a line (Private Message or email, tom@unity3d.com) and I'll take care of you.

51 days and counting... :D

41. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

hey aNTeNNa trEE, are you still staying out in Oakland? Wanna split a car rental four four days with anyone else who'll be on the Bay's east side?

Anyone hanging out at Yoshi's or the Boom Boom Room? I know where to get great sushi as well.

42. cgoran

cgoran

Ever checkout Kamakura in Alameda?

43. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Never did, but heard both wild ravings about it or mediocre reviews. might have time when I go but my buddy's house in Oakland where I'm staying Wed-Fri nights is close to a really really good Thai place that I love so may wind up there either Wed or Fri (Thurs being the social thing, and Tuesday night being down in Soquel).

44. skyrider

skyrider

Hy all. I'm from Italy and I'll be with you for User Conference.
    I can't belive it yet... :D :D :D

45. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

24 hours from now for me and I'm on the plane out. See you all in 48!

46. slashdotray

slashdotray

I wish all a good conference !!
    :D

47. kaaJ

kaaJ

Unfortunatly I can't make it to the unity conference,
    since I'm on a (working) vacation in Malta.
    I hope it will be in europe next year...

I wish you all and OTEE good luck at the conference!

Grtz,
    kaaJ - Dirk - GravBall

48. Ryuuguu

Ryuuguu

Don't forgot your AC power supply for your Macbook, like I did. The Apple store say 2 week back order, and suggested I try ebay if I can't wait. Other store suggested I try apple.

I will be trying to borrow a connection to charge up my batteries. Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Grant

49. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Wish I can be there and meet a lot of unity developers in person.

Oh well, I guess I can just say "See you all Next Year".

Hopefully it's not like the chicago cubs next year every year :)

Have fun at Unite2007!

Ray