Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Unity URP texture samples

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Vagabond_, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi. it is Yeas 5068

Unity Technologies eventually DID FIXED everything about their engine.... and eventually URP is working properly ("""me reading the official UT docs and looking at the fancy SRP advertising""") and then you decide to install Unity v1234567890.3.5068f1 and URP v1234567890.1234567890f1, setup a material with almost full set of texture and you built your application that runs well enough and looks kinda nice.... but then you decide to add only one additional texture as detail albedo.......................... and then after another 3 hours of waiting for Unity to complete shader compilation, you get this nice and lovely message from your "best virtual friend".....

upload_2022-11-28_22-2-30.png

pointing to the DEFAULT ( and constantly advertised URP ) Lit shader that says:

upload_2022-11-28_22-3-17.png

and then you remove that texture from the "Detail Inputs" slots and your game is compiling again... yeaaahhhhh : D

I'm so pleased with Unity Technologies and their "technologies"
    Yeah it is kinda nice because in that year i can relax waiting for Unity to build a 1990's looking game while playing another game on a mobile device that runs application with realtime GI... oh, or even that throws you into the game ( like Jumanji may be : D )

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    soleron, BOXOPHOBIC and DEEnvironment like this.
  2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Instead of leaving a salty message, make a proper post asking for help.
    If you don't like unity, simply use something else. No one forces you to use it

3. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

The problem with urp is that with each version, they keep adding built-in textures to the shaders. A custom detail shader which worked fine in urp 7 or 10, might have too many samplers in urp 12 because reflection probe blending, light cockies, etc. were added.

I'm in the same situation right now with one of my assets, after 3 years of people using it, you can't just remove textures to make room for the unity ones.

And the solution, inline texture samplers where possible. Except albedo, all my textures are now using repeat_bilinear/clamp_bilinear depending on the use case. This limits the user to choose a texture filtering, but it's the only way to make it work.

Another solution is to reuse the sampler from Albedo to the other textures, but this will cause some other problems, so I choosed predefined samplers.

PS: Salty, but I can understand why. URP caused me so many problems over the years. I still try to find the reason for its existence, but I can't find any.

Vagabond_ likes this.
  4. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Oh I just realised this is the urp lit shader o_O

5. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

That's the point, it's not a shader i've written... you have a feature set and you can not use, It all works in editor but when you try to build, it breaks after 2-3 hours of compilation !

I don't like to sound salty at all, but how you add support for an asset store package, or use URP in a project as something in it breaks all the time !

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    BOXOPHOBIC likes this.