Search Unity

Unity Update Can't Access FPS Microgame Files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ningkamess, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Ningkamess

Ningkamess

I recently downloaded the 2020 Unity version on my OS Mojave Mac. After downloading the FPS Microgame tutorial from Unity Hub 2.4.1 I am told to Install Unity 2019.4

I have just deleted Unity 2020 to make room for Unity 2019. This seems like something that shouldn't be...

-D

2. sxa

sxa

It makes a lot of sense that beginner-level tutorial material requires the use of a specific version of Unity; the differences between one version of Unity and another can be enough to throw up warnings and errors that will likely confuse and/or dismay the target audience.

angrypenguin likes this.
  3. Ningkamess

Ningkamess

True I guess.

But it's more of an issue with the "current" version not being able to access the "current" preliminary tutorial files from their front page, rather than the program being confusing or dismaying.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The tutorials always lag behind the latest Unity versions. The skills you learn in older versions generally apply to the latest anyway, even if a window is slightly changed or an obsolete API is finally removed. You won't see any significant workflow differences unless you go older than 2018.3 (with the exception of if you are going to utilize some brand new features).

Trying to always stay on the latest Unity version is usually a mistake anyway, for various reasons.

angrypenguin likes this.
  5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I think it's a valid User Experience complaint. If they need a specific version that's fair enough, but they should be clear about that in advance and, given the target audience, should explain why.

Joe-Censored likes this.