Search Unity

Unity UI + Windows Store 8.1 = Fail

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Cherubim79, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Cherubim79

Cherubim79

I've had major issues with Unity ever since 4.6 (and now 4.6.2), the most recent is just building a simple scene with some Text/Buttons and a resource XML file loaded to populate the Texts causes an app crash on splash when deploying XAML C# or C++ on Windows 8.1.

Other problems I've had are taking an existing project and trying to use Unity UI and the Text/Buttons don't show up at all when deployed, but do in the Editor.

I'm not sure why, this all seems like things that should be tested prior to a release as they're so very basic, elementary basic. Windows Store seems like an after thought of Unity development, and the standalone needs to better implement touch screen support as well. If I hold down my finger on standalone it acts much differently than Win Store, some inconsistent behaviors.

I know that this is secondary to most of the Android/IOS crowd, and that's fine, but it cripples me since I'm on a convertible Dell 3000 Inspiron and actually take my notebook around to show people things, and also try to build useful apps aside from just games.

Anyway I'm going to roll back from 4.6 and go back to 4.5.5, this is my own UI framework I created in the 4.3 days called VirtualUI and I'm going to pick back up development on it.

You can get it here: http://virtualui.codeplex.com/

Nice things I have that Unity UI doesn't (even though some people have tried to patch them in after 4.6):
    - Color/Date Pickers
    - Data Repeater Grids
    - Dropdowns
    - 3D Charts (3D Pie, Area, and Bar)
    - A Textfield with a 3D cursor

What I don't have though are the sexy image sliced button templates, mine is all SpriteRenderer based, but actually works. I'm sick of running into headaches every time I get the tiniest bit of movement on trying to do Windows Store in 4.6, it's absolutely Godawful annoying and stress inducing.