Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity UI SVG support script

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by phil-Unity, Sep 5, 2018.

1. amcagurban

amcagurban

upload_2019-1-24_17-24-31.png
    Oh, I use RectMask2D in my game and it works without any problem. Don't you use RectMask2D?
    Anyway, hope you'll solve your problem asap :)
    Bu arada kral Türk müsün? Üstteki postta attığın resmin adı 'Ekran Resmi'

2. hitwill

hitwill

Once I have imported an SVG, how do I change the fill of a path through code? (or even get a reference to the SVG?) I can't find any documentation.

3. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

The way to do this would be to parse the SVG file to get a vector representation of the file (vector Scene), then you can change any properties before tessellation. For example:

Code (CSharp):
    1. string svg =
    2.     @"<svg xmlns=""http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"" xmlns:xlink=""http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"" viewBox=""0 0 216 216"">
    3.        <g>
    4.            <polygon id=""Poly1"" points=""...""/>
    5.        </g>
    6.    </svg>";
    8. // Import the SVG at runtime
    9. var sceneInfo = SVGParser.ImportSVG(new StringReader(svg));
    10. var shape = sceneInfo.NodeIDs["Poly1"].Shapes[0];
    11. shape.Fill = new SolidFill() { Color = Color.red };
    13. // Tessellate
    14. var geoms = VectorUtils.TessellateScene(sceneInfo.Scene, tessOptions);
    16. // Build a sprite
    17. var sprite = VectorUtils.BuildSprite(geoms, 10.0f, VectorUtils.Alignment.Center, Vector2.zero, 128, true);
    18. GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>().sprite = sprite;
    You can have a look here for a more complete example:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...b/master/Assets/RuntimeDemo/SVGRuntimeLoad.cs

hitwill likes this.
  4. hitwill

hitwill

This is GREAT! I have been looking for sample code for a couple of days but couldn't find the link. Thanks!

One question - is it possible to apply the generated sprite to a 3d object, like a cube? Would the sprite go into the material for the cube? What would be the best way? (A high level response would be great, then I can just do the code myself)

5. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

I assume you want to apply it like a texture? Given that vector sprites are essentially triangle meshes, you won't be able to UV map it to a 3D object as-is. Instead, you could convert the vector sprite to a texture, then apply it to the object.

You can either import the SVG asset as a "textured sprite", or convert it programmatically using the VectorUtils.RenderSpriteToTexture2D method.

6. hitwill

hitwill

Thanks! I will try this. I had added a Sprite Renderer as a child of the object I wanted the sprite to appear on - and this seemed to work fine. However, is this a wasteful way of doing it, or perhaps a bit hacky?

I am a decent coder, but new to Unity and 3D - so still trying to figure out the best practices.

7. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

It depends if you want the SVG sprite to be "attached" to the 3D object, or if you really want to the SVG sprite to deform and wrap around the 3D object. Your solution is fine for the former, but I think you need a texture for the latter.

8. hitwill

hitwill

Great! I just wanted it to attach on the surface, and actually not wrap around! Fatastic!!

9. haywirephoenix

haywirephoenix

Is it possible to add the 360 radial fill setting to the inspector? I haven't been able to extend the class to add this.

10. dyawitz

dyawitz

Has the SVG support for UI elements been rolled out to a Unity release yet, or still in development? Thanks.

11. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

If I understand correctly, you want to control the radial gradient from the SVG importer inspector? This is not possible, the gradient data is read from the SVG file itself.

12. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Not yet, we're working on it.

13. dyawitz

dyawitz

Then what am I seeing here in 2018.3.12 that, after adding the Vector Graphics package, I have SVG image as an option under UI to add to a canvas? Thanks.

Attached Files:

• SVG.PNG
      SVG.PNG
      File size:
      35.5 KB
      Views:
  14. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Ah, I thought you were referring to UIElements support: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/04/16/introducing-unity-2019-1/#uielements

The SVG support for the UI canvas is part of the vector graphics package, not part of Unity.

15. dyawitz

dyawitz