Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity UI SVG support script

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by phil-Unity, Sep 5, 2018.

1. amcagurban

amcagurban

upload_2019-1-24_17-24-31.png
    Oh, I use RectMask2D in my game and it works without any problem. Don't you use RectMask2D?
    Anyway, hope you'll solve your problem asap :)
    Bu arada kral Türk müsün? Üstteki postta attığın resmin adı 'Ekran Resmi'

2. hitwill

hitwill

Once I have imported an SVG, how do I change the fill of a path through code? (or even get a reference to the SVG?) I can't find any documentation.

3. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

The way to do this would be to parse the SVG file to get a vector representation of the file (vector Scene), then you can change any properties before tessellation. For example:

Code (CSharp):
    1. string svg =
    2.     @"<svg xmlns=""http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"" xmlns:xlink=""http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"" viewBox=""0 0 216 216"">
    3.        <g>
    4.            <polygon id=""Poly1"" points=""...""/>
    5.        </g>
    6.    </svg>";
    8. // Import the SVG at runtime
    9. var sceneInfo = SVGParser.ImportSVG(new StringReader(svg));
    10. var shape = sceneInfo.NodeIDs["Poly1"].Shapes[0];
    11. shape.Fill = new SolidFill() { Color = Color.red };
    13. // Tessellate
    14. var geoms = VectorUtils.TessellateScene(sceneInfo.Scene, tessOptions);
    16. // Build a sprite
    17. var sprite = VectorUtils.BuildSprite(geoms, 10.0f, VectorUtils.Alignment.Center, Vector2.zero, 128, true);
    18. GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>().sprite = sprite;
    You can have a look here for a more complete example:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...b/master/Assets/RuntimeDemo/SVGRuntimeLoad.cs

Arkade and hitwill like this.
  4. hitwill

hitwill

This is GREAT! I have been looking for sample code for a couple of days but couldn't find the link. Thanks!

One question - is it possible to apply the generated sprite to a 3d object, like a cube? Would the sprite go into the material for the cube? What would be the best way? (A high level response would be great, then I can just do the code myself)

5. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

I assume you want to apply it like a texture? Given that vector sprites are essentially triangle meshes, you won't be able to UV map it to a 3D object as-is. Instead, you could convert the vector sprite to a texture, then apply it to the object.

You can either import the SVG asset as a "textured sprite", or convert it programmatically using the VectorUtils.RenderSpriteToTexture2D method.

6. hitwill

hitwill

Thanks! I will try this. I had added a Sprite Renderer as a child of the object I wanted the sprite to appear on - and this seemed to work fine. However, is this a wasteful way of doing it, or perhaps a bit hacky?

I am a decent coder, but new to Unity and 3D - so still trying to figure out the best practices.

7. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

It depends if you want the SVG sprite to be "attached" to the 3D object, or if you really want to the SVG sprite to deform and wrap around the 3D object. Your solution is fine for the former, but I think you need a texture for the latter.

8. hitwill

hitwill

Great! I just wanted it to attach on the surface, and actually not wrap around! Fatastic!!

9. haywirephoenix

haywirephoenix

Is it possible to add the 360 radial fill setting to the inspector? I haven't been able to extend the class to add this.

10. dyawitz

dyawitz

Has the SVG support for UI elements been rolled out to a Unity release yet, or still in development? Thanks.

11. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

If I understand correctly, you want to control the radial gradient from the SVG importer inspector? This is not possible, the gradient data is read from the SVG file itself.

12. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Not yet, we're working on it.

13. dyawitz

dyawitz

Then what am I seeing here in 2018.3.12 that, after adding the Vector Graphics package, I have SVG image as an option under UI to add to a canvas? Thanks.

Attached Files:

• SVG.PNG
      SVG.PNG
      File size:
      35.5 KB
      Views:
  14. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Ah, I thought you were referring to UIElements support: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/04/16/introducing-unity-2019-1/#uielements

The SVG support for the UI canvas is part of the vector graphics package, not part of Unity.

TeotiGraphix likes this.
  15. dyawitz

dyawitz

16. haywirephoenix

haywirephoenix

Thanks for your reply. I was actually talking about the fill options in unity. The radial option allows you to do a circular progress bar. I wanted to add this feature to the vector version of UI Image

17. haywirephoenix

haywirephoenix

Like this:

Attached Files:

18. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. The radial filling is done by manipulating the sprite's "quad" and its UVs, so this won't work for SVG sprites since these aren't textured (unless you import them as "Textured Sprites" instead of "Vector Sprites").

19. haywirephoenix

haywirephoenix

Ah, that makes sense. That could be why I couldn't get it to work! Thank you. Maybe I can do something with masking.

Edit: Masking works perfectly

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  20. TeotiGraphix

TeotiGraphix

Just filing in for notifications but I am starting to use this vector package for a pretty large app so we will see how it goes.

Thanks for all your work on this mcoted3d.

mcoted3d likes this.
  21. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

@mcoted3d When will the "Keep Aspect Ratio" be implemented? As it should be an easy feature...
    Someone already implemented it but changing it in a package will only keep those changes locally in the Library folder I think. Link

Also creating a material that uses the Unlit/Vector or Unlit/VectorGradient, the canvas will complain in SendWillRenderCanvases method that the material does not have a _Stencil property.

22. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

You can absolutely use the script that you referenced. Drop it in your Assets folder (you may have to change the class name to avoid conflicts) and you're good to go. I don't know when this will be pushed as part of the package.

Thanks for reporting!

23. jason_yak

jason_yak

Hey just chiming in so I can follow along with this thread. Looking forward to seeing the ui support for SVG out of preview. Is there any roadmap available for the SVG plugin with features and unity version breakdown? we found the roadmap that the LWRP team did was super handy for us to plan out what tech solutions, thanks.

24. jason_yak

jason_yak

^ haha nevermind.. I just saw your post in the main SVG thread that said there's no roadmap. No worries =)

mcoted3d likes this.
  25. gromilQaaaa

gromilQaaaa

Hello, I am trying to change the property of a material in runtime. But there is no .sharedMaterial in SVGImage so I guess .material works as shared. Didn't find any normal way to change property of direct material instance. Help :)

26. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

This should work. I tried with this code snippet:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         var mat = GetComponent<SVGImage>().material;
    2.         mat.color = Color.gray;
    What's not working on your side?

27. gbriozzo

gbriozzo

Hello! I am having a problem with RectMask2D when the material is Unlit/VectorGradient, I have implemented a zoom system and when the material is empty the image is correctly contained in the edges of the mask, but when assigning Unlit / VectorGradient it is not properly contained
    attaching screen caps
    Is this a bug or intended behaviour?
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

28. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

This looks like a bug. Can you open a case for this please? (Help > Report a Bug...)

gbriozzo likes this.
  29. tbg10101_

tbg10101_

I'm trying out the UI SVGImage component. Is there any way to enable MSAA just for the UI to help the edges?

30. tbg10101_

tbg10101_

Answering my own question:
    • Create a new camera
      • Configure the camera only render UI objects
      • Configure the camera to clear using a transparent color
      • Have the camera render to a RenderTexture
      • Configure the RenderTexture to use MSAA
      • Add an image effect to your original camera that overlays the RenderTexture
    • Switch the canvas to 'Screen Space - Camera'
      • Assign the new camera
    When I set MSAA to 8x my edges look pretty again and it is only applied to the UI!

(disclaimer: only works for render pipelines which support camera stacking)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    sirxeno and mcoted3d like this.
  31. tristanlbailey

tristanlbailey

32. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

"use" is supported, but it requires the "xlink:href" attributes. The example in the mozilla doc works when specified as such:

Code (CSharp):
    1. <svg viewBox="0 0 30 10" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
    2.   <circle id="myCircle" cx="5" cy="5" r="4" stroke="blue"/>
    3.   <use xlink:href="#myCircle" x="10" fill="blue"/>
    4.   <use xlink:href="#myCircle" x="20" fill="white" stroke="red"/>
    5. </svg>

tristanlbailey likes this.
  33. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

I have a concern about Stroke.

I am trying to get consistency between rectangles and circles. Right now I set both of them to have the same HalfThickness. Yet they both show different size strokes.

VectorStrokeProblem.png

Both are setup identically, only one is a circle and the other a rectangle. I created them using the VectorUtils Make functions.

34. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

This is odd, I have a hard time to explain this.

If there's a different scale transform on one of the elements, that could explain it. Otherwise, can you share the code that generates these shapes?

35. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

I neglected the fact that I added [SerializeField] in my base class to the field that controls that value. I had made the circle class first and made some adjustments. Created the rectangle class, was pretty tired and forgot about adjusting the stroke in the circle class. I kept looking at the base class thinking they are both the same value.

Sorry for taking your time.

36. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

No worries, glad you figured it out.

37. Korindian

Korindian

How is the antialiasing for Overlay canvases coming for Unity UI? With the roadmap session today, I see that Unity has a high interest in using SVGs with UI Toolkit. Just hoping that Unity has antialiasing for all canvas modes in mind for the UI Toolkit as well.

38. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

Yes, absolutely. And this is a feature we're very excited about!

Korindian likes this.
  39. Janko_O

Janko_O

Hello,

Is it possible to get the nested svg by id?
    Like in the code below (I've edited the code posted earlier):

Code (CSharp):
    1.     string svg =
    2.         @"<svg xmlns=""http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"" xmlns:xlink=""http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"" viewBox=""0 0 216 216"">
    3.           <svg id =""a""></svg>
    4.           <svg id =""b""></svg>
    5.       </svg>";
    7.     // Import the SVG at runtime
    8.     var sceneInfo = SVGParser.ImportSVG(new StringReader(svg));
    9.     var shape = sceneInfo.NodeIDs["a"].Shapes[0];
    I can't get it working...

40. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

We don't support nested <svg> tags. If you can get away with a <g> tag instead, that should work.

41. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hello there!

I'm building my game UI at a 4k resolution with PNG sprites.
    Some of the sprites renders very bad when playing in Full HD, especially the outlined ones.
    So I wanted to investigate the possibilities of using SVG for my UI like I do when I'm building a website.
    I wonder what are the best practices to get a neat UI in both 4K and Full HD resolutions?

upload_2020-5-30_19-39-25.png

I downloaded the VectorGraphics preview.12 - 2.0.0 but I don't understand how I can use a SVG image in my UI canvas.
    I don't know how to set the import and how to add this image on my canvas ?
    Is there any guide to learn this workflow?
    Is there any repository where I can download a component to add vector graphics to UI ?

Thanks for your help!

42. Janko_O

Janko_O

Once you've added the VectorGraphics package into your project, Unity should be able to correctly see SVG files (if they are in your Assets folder). Then you can click on the SVG file in Unity and convert it to Sprites or similar.
    I think you can also do it via script (examples above in the post), but this one's simpler in the editor.

Rafarel likes this.
  43. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hello @Janko44 and thanks for your answer.

I found a new object on the UI menu when I right click on the canvas in the Hierarchy.

It's called SVG Images, so I made some tests with it but my icons are still ugly in small sizes
    It's working very well on bize sizes.

I found an old topic on Reddit that advice to turn on mipmaps on my icons, and for now this is the best results I've got by far, it is with High res PNGs with mipmap enabled.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/7066oc/best_practice_for_clean_unity_canvas_ui/

The original icon has been designed in 256*256 resolution, and here is a comparison of SVG (top) and PNG with mipmaps (64*64 to 2048*2048 resize test on a 4K canvas)

upload_2020-5-31_17-44-11.png

44. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

This is an aliasing issue. If you can, configure your canvas in "camera overlay" mode, and enable antialiasing on the camera (Edit > Project Settings > Quality > Anti-Aliasing). The SVG package currently rely on MSAA for antialiasing.

45. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hi @mcoted3d and thank you for your answer !
    This looks much better with the 8x anti aliasing on.
    I guess that the MSAA requires more client side performances.

I know that I can have a camera just for my UI, so that I can have one using MSAA and not the other one ?
    Mhhh sounds that MSAA if for the whole project, oh wait I can disable it on the game camera, but what if I want to different MSAA settings ? Like 2x for game and 8x for UI ?

I tried the two camera setup but without success, my whole game end up to be black and I just see my UI.

Here is my game Camera where I removed UI from culling mask :
    upload_2020-6-3_18-40-36.png

Here is my UI camera :
    upload_2020-6-3_18-41-34.png

Here is my Canvas
    upload_2020-6-3_18-50-49.png

And here is the result ...

upload_2020-6-3_18-34-26.png

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong ?
    Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  46. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

MSAA will require more memory for the backing render target. The memory requirements increases linearly with the number of samples (8x MSAA requires a render target 8x larger). In most cases, 4x MSAA is a good compromise between quality/memory requirements.

The rendering performances should not be significantly affected by MSAA, since it is optimized to only execute the fragment shader once per pixel, regardless of the number of samples.

Yes. The way to do this is usually to render the UI in a RenderTexture with the number of samples that you want, then compose the UI RenderTexture over the scene (this can be done with a simple quad mesh attached to the main camera).

However, doing that will require even more memory, since both cameras will require separate render targets. My recommendation would be to use a single camera with MSAA enabled.

Rafarel likes this.
  47. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hi @mcoted3d , thank you very much for your answer!

I have another thing that is specific to my game.
    I use additive scenes. I have a Game scene for the game and its UI, and I have a Menu scene for the menus that is always loaded because it is used both in game and on the main menu.
    My question is how do you tell the Menu scene canvas wich camera to use ?
    Maybe my additive scene strategy is bad, what do you recommend ?

upload_2020-6-4_18-23-32.png

Many thanks! Have a nice day :)

48. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies

If you set your canvas in "Camera Space - Overlay" render mode, you'll be able to set the rendering camera.

49. Rafarel

Rafarel

@mcoted3d For now I have to main scenes Home & Game.
    Every time a stack of scenes are loaded in additive mode :

Bootstrap + Main + Home + Menu
    OR
    Bootstrap + Main + Game + Menu

Home and Game has their own camera (Game use a ProCamera2D that Home do not need).
    So how I tell to the Menu scene canvas to use the camera located either in Home or Game scene ?

50. mcoted3d

mcoted3d

Unity Technologies