Search Unity

Unity UI - Multiple resolution devices (Retina vs non-retina)

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by hellobard, Aug 21, 2014.

1. hellobard

hellobard

So I am coming to this with only my experience in NGUI, and I have not properly tested Unity UI yet, but I am curious, how does it handle resolution switches within a platform in terms of pixel perfection?
    Can you have atlas switching like in NGUI? or does it do it automatically? Or not at all?

2. Dantus

Dantus

The only available solution is to use Reference Resolution. There is no pixel perfect solution for different resolutions and no atlas switching.

hellobard likes this.
  3. Kujo87

Kujo87

Whats the best way of handling different assets then? Say having an @4x asset for an iPad Retina and an @1x for Nokia Lumia for example?

4. Dantus

Dantus

It was suggested to make the UI for the high resolution and to just downscale it. Unfortunately there is no further information yet in the documentation. The "Designing UI for Multiple Resolutions" is empty at the moment with empty sections for "Reference Resolution" and "Physical Resolution".

hellobard likes this.
  5. Kujo87

Kujo87

Looks like its being written as we speak. Reference Resolution as some content now. :D

6. Dantus

Dantus

My bad :)

7. hellobard

hellobard

Alright, thanks for the answers guys! Guess I'll just have to try to work with the highest res assets and use the reference resolution script.