Search Unity

UNITY UI issues

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Sauron1234, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Sauron1234

Sauron1234

you know a system is bad when you need to delete everything you did multiple times because of one small change and it all goes wrong and cannot be undone.
    Why is the UI so badly done? the positioning is so buggy and nothing seems to work. You never know what you will get when you change something...

my current issue is this:
    I have a Horizontal Layout Group. inside this is a list of buttons. when the mouse hovers over these buttons, I want the buttons to become bigger.

changing the order is NOT an option, since the buttons need to stay in the same order.

I read somewhere that adding a canvas component and checking "override sorting" is an option. I tried this and it seems to work, but suddenly my script with "IPointerEnterHandler" stopped working. removing the canvas component did not solve anything. I had to re-do my entire UI from scratch. again! Its not the first time. everything is just so broken in this system!!

After this, I added the canvas component and confirmed that this is where the IPointerEnterHandler stops working. I tried many different things without results.

all I want is a list of horizontal images that I can hover and click and they grow and change color upon hovering.

why is this so difficult? Why does it take hours to do simple things with this UI system? and one change breaks the whole thing. Alignment and design is the same. I cant believe how broken this is. major fail for unity!! cant get the basics right....

2. Laperen

Laperen

You can have your hierachy be something like this

-canvas
    - layout object(contains layout group component)
    -button parent
    - button
    -button parent
    - button
    -button parent
    - button

This way, you can animate or manipulate your button transform without interfering with the layout group.

Just out of curiosity, what are you comparing Unity's UI system to?

3. Sauron1234

Sauron1234

now i have a weird bug. when i first open the menu, half is missing. the second time it's ok. It only happens some times.

Im comparing to HTML. i thought HTML was bad and difficult to design. I cant believe it, but this is even worst!!
    buggy and not functional. its very bad!

4. Sauron1234

Sauron1234

even visual studio is better than this. and that is pretty glitchy too....

5. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

If you really want to discuss UI and not Scripting then using the dedicated UI forum would be better.

6. Sauron1234

Sauron1234

android and mobile development has it's issues too but they are pretty good. Iphone development on xCode has been the most stable and easiest experience ive had so far...

7. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Please note that this isn't a chat system, you don't need to keep posting one-liners, this is a forum. The forum system does allow you to edit your posts.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.