Search Unity

Utilities Unity --> UE4 scene export.

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by neginfinity, Mar 18, 2016.

1. neginfinity

neginfinity

You need to switch you .NET frmaework level to at least .NET 4.0 or .NET Standard 2.0.

This seems to be happening often, I suppose I'll put it into a FAQ eventually.
    upload_2020-5-15_19-17-27.png
    This is found in Edit->Project Settings.
    (Edit-->Project Settings --> Player --> Configuration --> ScriptingBackend/API Compatibility).

The plugin needs at least .NET 4, and .NET Standard 2.0 should work as well (as it is equivalent to .NET 4.6.1).

2. dannu123

dannu123

Ah ok thanks a lot! I'm away from home for a while, but I'll be testing that as soon as I get back.

3. MedoMelo

MedoMelo

Hello,

I'm trying to export a Unity terrain to Unreal manually through a heightmap. Of course the scale is quite messed up. The terrain is flatten and bigger. I'm tweaking the scale but I'm not getting any perfect/ accurate result.

Someone knows the multiplier?

4. neginfinity

neginfinity

As you're not using my tool, you're asking this question in the wrong forum. The tool should be able to convert terrain automatically.

Kennth likes this.
  5. MedoMelo

MedoMelo

"Terrain currently is not being processed. I might look at this eventually."

So it has been updated since? I'll use your tool then

6. neginfinity

neginfinity

See:
    For the moment try to ensure your scene has no skeletal meshes in it upon export. There's a bug that hasn't been fixed at the moment.

7. MedoMelo

MedoMelo

I succeed to export terrain with the right scale (and bunch of objects). I couldn't bring the vegetation as I used Vegetation Studio Pro but this is already a lot, I'm impressed.

Very well done for this tool, it's so useful.

neginfinity likes this.
  8. neginfinity

neginfinity

Have fun. (^_^)

Kennth, Mark_01 and MedoMelo like this.
  9. OdyseeGames

OdyseeGames

Any updates on when it will work for UE4 4.26? I get tons of errors when even attempting to import it into UE4.

10. neginfinity

neginfinity

I'll be updating it for 4.26.1 during this week.
    If you're getting some specific errors, woudl be nice to know which ones and in which circumstances.

11. OdyseeGames

OdyseeGames

Yeah, I get a ton of failed to import errors. So maybe I am doing something wrong. But, for Unity 2019.4.9 I received no errors or issues.

Apparently I am having issues posting a decent looking picture, so here is a link to the picture.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wtosSRLWAfct6wUm6

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  12. neginfinity

neginfinity

Based on the messages, you've placed source code files into a wrong directory. Contents of <girhub repository>/ExodusImport should be placed into <Unreal Project>/Plugins/ExodusImport. (Or, in other words "ExodusImport" folder shoudl be moved into <UnrealProject>/Plugins. And you have to create "Plugins" if it doesn't already exist).

This is explained in the readme.
    You can't open the repository in Unreal Engine. You have to copy files into your own project.

13. OdyseeGames

OdyseeGames

So don't get me wrong, I am definitely not the brightest bulb. But this is a video of what I did. I've tried the whole ExodusImport folder and also opening the folder and copying the contents of it in to UE4.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KPz9xJWnepC3J9qk9

14. neginfinity

neginfinity

Nope. You're creating "Plugins" within "Content" folder. You need to create it within the project folder. Through the operating system and not through unreal. Because anything you create in Unreal editor goes into "Content". See:
    upload_2021-2-16_14-44-50.png
    upload_2021-2-16_14-45-26.png
    Project folder is the one that contains *.uproject and *.sln files. You need to create "Plugins" in THAT folder.

I believe I made a video about it before. It is in the first post of this thread.
    Folder copying starts at 2:54.

15. OdyseeGames

OdyseeGames

Appreciate that! WI was able to get that part sorted out. I skipped over the video and was just reading the information on the GitHub and figured with how easy it was for Unity I could just drag and drop for UE4. Anyway, I keep getting UE4 crashing when Importing.

Looks like it has something to do with the skeletal mesh. I can send over crash reports if needed.

**Edit: it works so long as I didn't include any of the characters I made. Used Ue4.26 and Unity 2019.4.20**

Assertion failed: FindRawBoneIndex(BoneInfo.Name) == INDEX_NONE [File:D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Public\ReferenceSkeleton.h] [Line: 188]

UE4Editor_Core
    UE4Editor_Core
    UE4Editor_Engine
    UE4Editor_ExodusImport!SkeletalMeshBuilder::setupReferenceSkeleton() [E:\UE4Games\LastBucc\Plugins\ExodusImport\Source\ExodusImport\Private\MeshBuilder\SkeletalMeshBuilder.cpp:89]
    UE4Editor_ExodusImport!SkeletalMeshBuilder::setupSkeletalMesh() [E:\UE4Games\LastBucc\Plugins\ExodusImport\Source\ExodusImport\Private\MeshBuilder\SkeletalMeshBuilder.cpp:575]
    UE4Editor_ExodusImport!std::_Func_impl_no_alloc<<lambda_2c9cc99956be1ccc3b50f64abac2b47c>,void,USkeletalMesh *>::_Do_call() [C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.26.28801\INCLUDE\functional:911]
    UE4Editor_ExodusImport!<lambda_c616991bad6ff9f767dfcd74b295f13b>::eek:perator()() [E:\UE4Games\LastBucc\Plugins\ExodusImport\Source\ExodusImport\Private\UnrealUtilities.h:147]
    UE4Editor_ExodusImport!UnrealUtilities::createAssetPackage() [E:\UE4Games\LastBucc\Plugins\ExodusImport\Source\ExodusImport\Private\UnrealUtilities.cpp:23]
    UE4Editor_ExodusImport!UnrealUtilities::createAssetObject<USkeletalMesh>() [E:\UE4Games\LastBucc\Plugins\ExodusImport\Source\ExodusImport\Private\UnrealUtilities.h:152]
    UE4Editor_ExodusImport!JsonImporter::importSkeletalMesh() [E:\UE4Games\LastBucc\Plugins\ExodusImport\Source\ExodusImport\Private\JsonImporter\Mesh.cpp:100]
    UE4Editor_ExodusImport!JsonImporter::importMesh() [E:\UE4Games\LastBucc\Plugins\ExodusImport\Source\ExodusImport\Private\JsonImporter\Mesh.cpp:130]
    UE4Editor_ExodusImport!JsonImporter::loadMeshes() [E:\UE4Games\LastBucc\Plugins\ExodusImport\Source\ExodusImport\Private\JsonImporter.cpp:134]
    UE4Editor_ExodusImport!JsonImporter::importProject() [E:\UE4Games\LastBucc\Plugins\ExodusImport\Source\ExodusImport\Private\JsonImporter\Scene.cpp:150]
    UE4Editor_ExodusImport!FJsonImportModule::pluginImportButtonClicked() [E:\UE4Games\LastBucc\Plugins\ExodusImport\Source\ExodusImport\Private\JsonImport.cpp:145]
    UE4Editor_ExodusImport!TBaseRawMethodDelegateInstance<0,FJsonImportModule,void __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::ExecuteIfSafe() [C:\UE_4.26\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:469]
    UE4Editor_Slate
    UE4Editor_Slate
    UE4Editor_Slate
    UE4Editor_Slate
    UE4Editor_Slate
    UE4Editor_Slate
    UE4Editor_Slate
    UE4Editor_Slate
    UE4Editor_Slate
    UE4Editor_ApplicationCore
    user32
    user32
    UE4Editor
    UE4Editor
    UE4Editor
    UE4Editor
    UE4Editor
    kernel32
    ntdll

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  16. neginfinity

neginfinity

Skinned mesh export is currently broken and it is a longstanding bug, yes.

Level, static geometry and lights should work properly and it will even try to assemble models according to prefabs too. It won't convert prefabs to blueprints though. At least for now.

17. HanSyuan

HanSyuan

Hi, what a nice tool! Is there any plane for supporting later version of Unity? Like 2019.1? Thank you

18. neginfinity

neginfinity

I believe it should work in later version with a ton of deprecation warnings. If it doesn't, you can post error messages here.

19. khos

khos

Is there a way to go from UE4 to Unity?

milox777 likes this.
  20. neginfinity

neginfinity

No. I received requests for the backward process, I'm not planning to implement it at the moment.

21. HanSyuan

HanSyuan

Hi, it works after I tried. Both Unity 2019.1 and UE4.26.2. Thanks!
    And the other question is, when ue4 import all the assets, the type is Actor in WorldOutliner. When I try to convert Actor to Static Mesh, the rotation of transform since change(-90 on Y Axis). I think is the problem the left/right hand in between Unity and UE4.

Is there a good way to solve it? Thank you for your great tool.

22. neginfinity

neginfinity

Erm... I cannot comment on that, because converting actor to a static mesh (the way you describe) is not done by the plugin I wrote. The person that implemented the "Convert actor to static mesh" is the one you should be asking questions. You could try reporting a possible bug in unreal.

The plugin (Exodus) should be reconstructing the scene as static meshes by default, unless you use a lot of prefabs, in which case each prefab will be rebuilt as an actor with multiple subcomponents. If you want naked static meshes you could try unpacking all prefabs before the export. However make sure to do that on a copy of the scene.

23. HanSyuan

HanSyuan

Thanks for the information. Love your tool!

24. neginfinity

neginfinity

Due to constant health issues and personal circumstances, I'll be no longer monitoring this thread. Please report issues to github. I'll get to them, eventually.

StevenPicard and hippocoder like this.