Search Unity

Unity Tutorials that are not videos

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by ripsnorta, Jul 14, 2012.

1. ripsnorta

ripsnorta

I've been trying to find comprehensive Unity 3D tutorials that are not video based. It seems that all the really good tuts are video, however I find it much easier to learn by reading.

Can anyone point me to a decent readable tutorial that shows me how to create a game in Unity from A to Z?

JoshTurnbull likes this.
  2. Ramsar

Ramsar

I found this one: http://www.rebelplanetcreations.com/downloads/Other/Tutorials/HowToMakeAGameInUnity3D.pdf (resource links are in the pdf)

I haven't tried it myself though, so I can't say anything about the quality, but I do know they use C# as scripting language (I was specifically looking for written C# tutorials but they seem hard to come by).

Furthermore, from the asset store: "C# Game Examples" by M2H (the pdf is in the unity package). Again haven't tried it yet, but it has been recently updated.

As far as books are concerned, I've just finished the book "Unity 3.x Game Development Essentials" by Will Goldstone and I can definitely recommend it. He lists both JS and C# so you can choose which language you want to script the game in.

Now I'm reading "Holistic Game Development with Unity" by P. De Byl and it seems worthwhile as well. It's in JS however, so I need to convert all the scripts she uses to C# (which is sometimes a bit of a challenge, but helps a lot for my understanding of C#).