Search Unity

Unity Tutorial

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marty, Jun 7, 2005.

1. marty

marty

I just checked out the awesome new tutorial that DaveyJJ wrote for Unity 1.0 and Wow! What a great introduction to the Unity workflow! You just saved me a couple of weeks of head-scratching and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Thanks for sharing all of your hard-earned experience with all of us, DaveyJJ! And thanks too for taking the time to turn it all into such a slick and polished intro!

I get the feeling that one of the best features about Unity is going to be its community.

2. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Darn, I'm blushing now :D

You're welcome, and I hope I'm going to provide both updates to the first one and maybe more tutorials as Unity progresses. Just as long as people keep helping me with my simple scripting questions, I'll be fine! :wink:

And you're absolutely right, it's going to be the Unity community that makes this a good place to hang out and learn/make/experiment with Unity.

3. Scoo

Scoo

Where is this tutorial?

4. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Look inside the Unity folder that gets installed (normally in your Applications folder). The tutorial is called "Unity Tutorial.pdf".

5. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Yup I just finaly got through the tutorial too. And it was realy helpfull. I actualy used my own graphics for everything so that was the most time consuming part, figuring out how to get stuff into unity corectly from C4D. I'm afraid I can't get the web player to work on a server so I can't show you that way but if you like you can download it from http://games.bluegillweb.com/examples/outcast_marbles.zip

It sitll needs some work as the scale of all my graphics were much larger I had to come up with my own variables for everything and I think the marbles are to light. Also shadows would be good so you can tell when they are off the ground. But I'm happy I got meshes into Unity!!! Jeff

6. Scoo

Scoo

Thanks, this looks REALLY well put together. I look forward to sinking my teeth in to this.

7. Scott-M

Scott-M

Thanks a ton for putting together this tutorial, DaveyJJ. A lot of work went into it and I know everyone appreciates it greatly!

Cheers,
    Scott

8. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

You're welcome!

Wait until you see the next tutorial ... it's going to be very, very cool and much more complete. And way more fun :wink: . It's only in the starting stages but wow!

9. marty

marty

You're a king to do these tutorials on your own, DaveyJJ.

If you need any testing, reviewing, proofing, feedback, etc. on your next tutorial while it's in-progress, feel free to enlist my help.

10. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Any hints about what the next tutorial is about? IMHO it'd be nice to be open about it, so it can be as good as possible! Maybe we could help with game ideas and implementation ideas. :)

-Jon

11. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

It's along the veins of learning scripting in Unity... Basically, all the steps from a blank slate to a finished game in a well-known genre...

(Not sure I want to give away the subject just yet... I think we're releasing it in parts, though...)

12. marty

marty

Sounds great. I think a tutorial couched as a real, live template game is a great idea. Works on all sorts of levels.

As a suggestion, one thing I'd like to see demonstrated is the overall framework for a game in Unity - managing multiple scenes, creating code objects for the various game parts, etc.