Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Turns 5, Happy Birthday Unity!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jun 7, 2010.

1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Today is a special day for all of us as it marks Unity's fifth birthday! To make sure folks are aware of just how special today is we've shared some thoughts/comments with the world via a press release and a blog post (by yours truly):

Unity Technologies Celebrates Five Years of Continual Leadership and Innovation in Making Cutting Edge Game Technology

Unity Turns 5, Happy Birthday!

It's been an *incredibly* exciting ride for me personally as I've been here for 3.5 of those 5 years, I can only imagine what this has been like for David, Joachim and Nicholas. Their baby is growing up, that includes both the tool itself and the company. Unity has gone from three guys in a bedroom with some big ideas to a leading product, a growing company of 70 employees in five offices worldwide and a community that now has a user base of 170K+!

It's been an awesome ride and we're just getting started... Thanks to everyone that's been a part of Unity, from my colleagues to the community to our friends/family that support us in this habit.

On a personal note: thanks go out to Marty Plumbo in particular, not only is he customer #1 in the sales database (not necessarily the first to ever use it, just the first to ever record a license purchase) but he happens to also be the guy that helped put me in contact with David Helgason, a phone call that changed my personal fate for the better!

2. expressionforge

expressionforge

Unity Technologies,

I thank you for five funny, interesting, emotional and - I think that's the best reason to thank you - successful Years. I wish you a happy birthday and I think I speak on behalf of all German Unity users.

Thank you!

http://www.unity-community.de/news

3. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Congratulations on five terrific years Unity team! I'm amazed at what you guys have accomplished in those five years, though I have a good feeling the best is still yet to come!

I can't thank you enough for Unity. It's exactly what I had been looking for. And it's not just your fast, intuitive game engine that makes your company great, but also the way you interact with your customers and your vision for the future of interactive 3d. I'm excited to be along for the ride. Keep up the fantastic work guys!

4. siliwangi

siliwangi

Happy Birthday to unity,hope the following years more great,professional,stable :),reliable,and would be still care about indie market no matter even if you guys goes IPO,please don't forget us and your own philosophy to democratize the game dev world. :roll:

5. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Stellar: I'm personally not worried about us losing focus on, and love for the indie market. Our roots started there (the founders wanted to be an indie firm building their own engine) and now our adolescence has been spent there (the indie market is what brought us to today). There is nothing more exciting to us than to develop tools like Unity, then put it in the hands of the student, the new developer or that indie crew, and watch them do the unthinkable, make that next "great game" or anything along those lines. We're all about empowering the creative and that starts with the indie crowd. Yes, we love customers like EA too but the grassroots end is where our heart lies, hence the drive towards democratization. :)

6. siliwangi

siliwangi

Glad to hear that HiggyB,all the best for Unity :)

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

Happy birthday to Unity and UT :)

8. newbrand

newbrand

9. n0mad

n0mad

Happy birthday, friends :)

10. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

Congrats UT and everyone else behind this wonderful engine!

Looking forward to continuing my support towards the advancement of this great development platform! 8)

-Will

11. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Happy birthday, where do I send the card?

12. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Save that money and go buy something for yourself instead (I know, I'm ritzy like that :p). While today's announcement is suitably about Unity's birthday please know that we are all a part of the product's success. First off, content is king and no matter how good our technology is it would be nothing but bits on a virtual shelf without you folks out there making awesome content. Second, you folks that buy licenses or put out content using our player or otherwise use and showoff your Unity skills are the reason we at UT live our dream of making great software.

So this is a day for all of us to look back on what we've all accomplished and then look forward at all the cool and exciting work that lies ahead. Hopefully this crowd will all be here in another five years saying "hah, remember way back when we had the five year birthday thread?"

13. andeeeee

andeeeee

The old Unity marketing e-mails summed it up nicely:-

;-)

14. Matroblend

Matroblend

Happy Birthday to Unity and to everyone that worked so hard to make it what it is today it is truly a great product and getting better with each release.

I just hope that when I release my game I am able to make you proud.

15. cyangamer

cyangamer

Happy birthday Unity. Here's for an even bigger and better 5 more years! :D

16. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

We shall say this every half-decade :D. We shall then have an unlimited amount of power at the fingertips of our tiny hands.

17. DavidB

DavidB

Happy B-day Unity!

Amazing tool, amazing community, amazing employees. What can I say? 5 years down and already this type of progress? I can't wait to see the next 5 years.

Cheers to Unity, and thanks to all who make it what it is.

18. Merries

Merries

Happy Birthday Team, thank you for the really hard work and the fantastic engine and support!

19. mcorrea35

mcorrea35

Well, its my first post here, and it could not come on a better day.

Happy brday Unity Team!

All the best! :D

Marcos Correa
    www.marcoscorrea.com

20. Silver

Silver

Wishing you guys all the best. :D

21. mikesgames

mikesgames

5 years old!!!

that is as old as my sister :)

well done guys.