Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.4 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Unity toolbar greyed out using KDE global menu's

Discussion in 'Linux Editor' started by DarkZek, Mar 3, 2019.

1. DarkZek

DarkZek

KDE has a global menu feature baked in, tldr; its like the mac toolbar where its on a panel on the screen instead of on the window. The options for unity show up but they are greyed out and unclickable.

This makes unity very hard to use, and whenever I use unity I must now remove the global menu then re-create my desktop again after i'm done which is frustrating

DimitrPapas likes this.
  2. septN

septN

I guess it has something to do with KDE's implementation for global menu. I was using Kubuntu and had similar issue with their global menu. I gave up and ended up switching to Ubuntu MATE seems to work flawless

3. Keltozak

Keltozak

You can force Unity to use it's own menu even on KDE, simply set the environment variable UBUNTU_MENUPROXY to nothing, for example:

env UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= ./UnityHubSetup.AppImage

DimitrPapas, EQLucky and DarkZek like this.
  4. LordOfKspModding

LordOfKspModding

Where do I change this variable?

5. Risal-Fajar

Risal-Fajar

I'm sorry but it doesn't work, nothing changed.

6. csaratakij_unity

csaratakij_unity

This is what works for me. (workaround)
    I'm using Manjaro KDE
    You can try either "Disable global appmenu in gtk app" or "Blacklist appmenu-gtk-module in UnityEditor":
    To disable global app menu in gtk app:
    - just remove 'appmenu-gtk-module' package
    (all gtk app will not have a global menu for now...)
    To blacklist appmenu-gtk-module in UnityEditor:
    - you can use either gsetting or dconf-editor (I use dconf-editor).
    in the 'org.appmenu.gtk-module' append the blacklist string "Unity" (found by xprop)
    (Toggle 'Use default value' to off, if you use dconf-editor)
    (This way, other gtk app will have a normal global app menu (except the app in the blacklist) as you can see in the image. transmission-gtk works fine)
    Please fix this..... app-menu-blacklist.png app-menu-blacklist-transmission-gtk.png

DimitrPapas likes this.
  7. DimitrPapas

DimitrPapas

Hi, this worked for me but I used it on UnityHub.appimage instead of UnityHubSetup.appimage.

unityunity