Search Unity

Bug Unity toolbar greyed out using KDE global menu's

Discussion in 'Linux' started by DarkZek, Mar 3, 2019.

1. DarkZek

DarkZek

KDE has a global menu feature baked in, tldr; its like the mac toolbar where its on a panel on the screen instead of on the window. The options for unity show up but they are greyed out and unclickable.

This makes unity very hard to use, and whenever I use unity I must now remove the global menu then re-create my desktop again after i'm done which is frustrating

DimitrPapas likes this.
  2. septN

septN

I guess it has something to do with KDE's implementation for global menu. I was using Kubuntu and had similar issue with their global menu. I gave up and ended up switching to Ubuntu MATE seems to work flawless

3. Keltozak

Keltozak

You can force Unity to use it's own menu even on KDE, simply set the environment variable UBUNTU_MENUPROXY to nothing, for example:

env UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= ./UnityHubSetup.AppImage

hiphish, senkal_, DimitrPapas and 2 others like this.
  4. LordOfKspModding

LordOfKspModding

Where do I change this variable?

5. Risal-Fajar

Risal-Fajar

I'm sorry but it doesn't work, nothing changed.

6. csaratakij_unity

csaratakij_unity

This is what works for me. (workaround)
    I'm using Manjaro KDE
    You can try either "Disable global appmenu in gtk app" or "Blacklist appmenu-gtk-module in UnityEditor":
    To disable global app menu in gtk app:
    - just remove 'appmenu-gtk-module' package
    (all gtk app will not have a global menu for now...)
    To blacklist appmenu-gtk-module in UnityEditor:
    - you can use either gsetting or dconf-editor (I use dconf-editor).
    in the 'org.appmenu.gtk-module' append the blacklist string "Unity" (found by xprop)
    (Toggle 'Use default value' to off, if you use dconf-editor)
    (This way, other gtk app will have a normal global app menu (except the app in the blacklist) as you can see in the image. transmission-gtk works fine)
    Please fix this..... app-menu-blacklist.png app-menu-blacklist-transmission-gtk.png

ddddjent, orhan_kara, Tyreg and 6 others like this.
  7. DimitrPapas

DimitrPapas

Hi, this worked for me but I used it on UnityHub.appimage instead of UnityHubSetup.appimage.

8. unity_sPLVfr_WVqCPnw

unity_sPLVfr_WVqCPnw

Thank you so much, honestly this has bugged me about so many kde apps, this should really be built into the kde settings as a gui option somewhere in WM settings or application settings.

DomiZone1 likes this.
  9. moranBoar

moranBoar

Thanks a lot! It works well for me!
    Archlinux+KDE
    launch unity editor from unityhub.

10. heitorzorah

heitorzorah

This worked for me too. Unity should fix this annoying bug.

11. hiphish

hiphish

This has worked for me. For those who might not be as experienced with Unix, please allow me to elaborate:

If you want to start the Unity Hub directly from the command line you can simply invoke the code from the shell:

Code (csharp):
    1. # Like this
    2. env UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= /path/to/UnityHubSetup.AppImage
    3. # Or like this, they both do the same
    4. UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= /path/to/UnityHubSetup.AppImage
    Make sure to replace the name of your AppImage file if necessary. Note the space after the "UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=", this set the environment variable to the empty string. The environment variable will be set to this value only in the context of the process which will be run by the shell. This means the global menu will work for other applications, but it will be disabled for the hub (which does not have a menu anyway) and its child processes, i.e. Unity editor instances launched from the Hub.

If you want to launch the Hub from a menu you have an XDG .desktop entry file. It was either created for you or you created it yourself. In my case I had to write my own. It's just a plain text file which resides in "~/.local/share/applications" (here is the specification). Open it in any text editor and it will look somewhat like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. [Desktop Entry]
    2. Type = Application
    3. Name = Unity Hub
    4. Exec = /path/to/UnityHubSetup.AppImage %u
    5. Categories = Development
    6. Icon = com.unity.UnityHub
    7. MimeType = x-scheme-handler/unityhub
    Yours might differ somewhat, but that's not important. We want to change the "Exec" line to match the above:

Code (csharp):
    1. [Desktop Entry]
    2. Type = Application
    3. Name = Unity Hub
    4. Exec = env UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= /path/to/UnityHubSetup.AppImage %u
    5. Categories = Development
    6. Icon = com.unity.UnityHub
    7. MimeType = x-scheme-handler/unityhub
    Note that we have to use the "env" variant from above. Make sure to quit the Hub if it is still running, then restart it and open an editor instance through the Hub.

Attached Files:

12. BIGBEASTISHANK

BIGBEASTISHANK

just uninstall appmenu gtk module, "sudo pacman -R appmenu-gtk-module" i dont need it, global menu work fine without appmenu module and unity also start working properly with global menu