Search Unity

Unity to iOS

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by MrBlack3d, Mar 6, 2019.

1. MrBlack3d

MrBlack3d

New to Unity (tho animator for decades), can't seem to output a vr project to iOS.
    Already downloaded xcode, paid for the apple developers license, followed every tutorial I could find, but I keep getting the same error. Feels like I've got some very simple switch out of place somewhere. Prob an easy fix, but I can't find it for the life of me! This should all work! Ported the project to android and it works fine so I know it's not the project.
    Any ideas? I've been searching the forums and haven't found anything yet...

Cheers
    Jeff

Attached Files:

2. MrBlack3d

MrBlack3d

...should mention.. I don't have an iphone or ipad to test with. I'm hoping I can still push it up to applestore without one.

3. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I'm not sure if its a good idea to release a project without having tested it on at least one real iOS device. It should be fairly cheap for a used iphone 6 (which I wouldn't go for the older ones than that), but ideally you would get something newer than that.

JoeStrout and Ryiah like this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Apple's App Store guidelines make repeated mention that you need to test your app before you upload it. Apple will review the app before they upload it. If they feel that the app has not been tested, and it will stand out to them if you haven't done any testing on it, they will reject it.

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/

MD_Reptile likes this.
  5. MrBlack3d

MrBlack3d

The whole idea of uploading it to test flight was to have a partner check in on their iphone. I can understand apples stance, (don't want to be associated with S***e programs) but can we address the immediate errors I'm seeing in the build first? The initial error where it can't find a device is obvious, it's the second one I really need guidance on...
    Cheers
    Jeff

6. MrBlack3d

MrBlack3d

Should I be seeing provisioning profiles here?

Attached Files:

7. Schneider21

Schneider21

Development provisioning profiles are tied to specific device IDs. This allows the test app to ONLY be deployed on those test devices.

If you're trying to build for distribution via Test Flight, you need to build an Ad Hoc Distribution provisioning profile.

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

VR on iOS? What VR platform are you using?

9. MrBlack3d

MrBlack3d

@ Schneider21 To be painfully honest (and still learning) I only leaned about provisioning profiles this morning! I was working under the rational that just opening xcode and buying the license was all of it. Foolish human.. Found the rest of the instructions after much poking around. Many versions of the instructions as well. Hopefully one will work!
    Suppose I need to pick up some kind of iOS device... Good thing they're soo cheap! :(

@JeffDUnity3D For the VR I'm using the Unity/Vuforia combo. Already got it to work for android, just need to add iOS to the toolbox. Any issues with iOS that you've seen?

10. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

11. Schneider21

Schneider21

The only part of iOS development I absolutely hate is messing around with certificates and provisioning profiles. I'm no true software engineer, but it feels like there's got to be a simpler way to handle all that stuff.

The good news is, once you do it a few times, it gets less confusing. You'll still fudge things up here and there and have to do 6 builds in a row to get things right at times, but you'll also have days where you get it all right and can be super proud of yourself.

Also, you pretty much have to have a device to test on yourself. Test Flight is fine for later, but each time you upload a build it takes a bit to process before it's even available to internal users (people on your developer account). If you're trying to push it to external testers, the fastest I've seen it process is 24 hours. That's no way to go about development.

Pick up a used iPhone 6 on eBay or something. If you're targeting tablets, buy the previous generation's iPad. It's not an insignificant cost, for sure, but game development requires a bit of up front investment on your part, as I'm sure you're already aware.

Good luck!

Ryiah and MD_Reptile like this.
  12. MrBlack3d

MrBlack3d

Thanks much for the intel! I'm an animator/special effects artist by trade, so this particular ar project is an outlier for sure. Can you use an iphone that has no service contract as a test platform? Target is ipad so I might pursue that..

13. MrBlack3d

MrBlack3d

14. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yes, that should be possible, just use WiFi.