Search Unity

Unity to import blender file from a mac?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by DanVioletSagmiller, Oct 30, 2017.

1. DanVioletSagmiller

DanVioletSagmiller

I'm running on windows, using collaborate, on a team of members with Macs and Windows machines.

I saved a blender file to my models folder (from Windows machine) and the mesh worked great.

However, none of my team members saw it.
    - From the another Windows machine, they installed Blender on their system, and it just worked.
    - The mac machine installed blender, and it didn't work.

Is there something we need to do differently to get blender files to import when on a mac? is it supposed to work by default, and there is some odd bug we are facing? Any ideas to check for?

- Thanks!

2. syscrusher

syscrusher

Is the file extension ".blend" on both machines?

I've passed a ton of models back and forth in Blender Mac, Blender Linux, and Blender Windows with zero issues, so I suspect it may be an issue in the file sharing environment rather than Blender itself.

I have all three platforms here, so if you want to PM me with a Dropbox link to the file, I can try to replicate your problem.

3. DanVioletSagmiller

DanVioletSagmiller

Found out, that they had to install Blender, and then open a blender file once from Unity, so that it can reference it. At that point it was able to process the files, and not before.

I.e. Unity can't work with Blender files on its own, and has to be "told" that blender is available to wire itself in.

syscrusher likes this.
  4. syscrusher

syscrusher

I never realized that, probably because when I get a new machine Blender is among the first things I install. :)

DanVioletSagmiller likes this.