Search Unity

Unity through HUB which is only way now!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by junctionboss, May 20, 2019.

1. junctionboss

junctionboss

My project at one time was using 2019.2.0b2, but if as seems, is a 'beta' version, I'm not so inclinced to use it anymore, I prob.never should have.

How do I stop the HUB from forcing that ?

Or, does unity team consider it stable enough ,now, for everyday ?

thx

2. chris_gamedev

chris_gamedev

I believe you can get standalone versions of Unity without the hub still.

But if you have hub installed, I do find it overall better as an interface for doing updates/managing projects.

If you're using the new version which looks like the below, then click the "Installs" section:

upload_2019-5-20_17-23-24.png

Click "Add" and then choose the version you want to install. Generally, avoid anything with an a or b suffix. I assume f stands for "final" so stick to those.

Once it has added that version, to use it for a project click the "Version" by the project and select the version you want that project to use going forward:

upload_2019-5-20_17-25-4.png

Once you have confirmed your project(s) are working correctly with the selected version you can remove the beta version.

3. junctionboss

junctionboss

'Working correctly' is VERY hard to even ascertain, as I"ve tried nearly all tutorials I can find, and so far I'm coming up utterly empty- I"m an artist, who is enjoying learning to code and doing just fine,its not hard once you apply yourself, but what I 'need' atm, is a working 3rd person charcter controller-- I need to test my level or its irrelevant ;)

I've tried tut after tut, on youtube, several of them, and nothiing works but one but it wasn't sufficient nor can I find itagain to re-try/use it.

the characters on store which are nice, do not come (that Ican find anyway) with any DOCS on how to get it working. I"ve searched for 'characters, nothing useful that is free and Im on disability--- so I"m not about to buy anything- I can't. 3d game kit is a joke, so I can't go there either, though I tried hard once,asked on forums, nothing worked as my terrain is not a cube- character in 3dgamekit will not work with normal terrains..I asked,maybe got bad advice I'm not sure,,but at any rate=-dead END.

I'm enjoying, the coding experience, but I"m growing weary fast, of doing the coding, and nothing is working-maybe BAD tuts, always , OPs never answer, they are too old so I'm stuck with nothing, the store, where there again are no DOC--doc unity has nothing either,not enough to get me from code to WORKIng,,trust me I"ve tried,for literally DAYS--and unrealengine is looking mighty GOOD now- my project of a few yrs is going very strong, but I want to get this working b4 I pull all my hair out ;)o_)

There are many , as noted, youtube tuts out there, but many are old, and the ones somewhat current dont' work right- I get weird errors on play and I've posted about themhere , with nohelp of anykind.

SO- having said that and proven my utter frustration,,I"ll TRY going back to 0b2, maybe I missed it,i'm fairly new totheub.- I just never noticed the version tab as they are usually greyed out, so frustrated by not being able to setup any 3rd perso nchar no matter how hard Ive tried..for me ,learning to code was a leap and I'm there, but this mess...makes it all seem futile ;)

I'll get back to 3f1 which is where I 'was' then thought beta program might be a good way to go--mistake.
    I prob/. would have gotten past all this nightmare if I"d chosen one of the " learn' projects but they were all TOPDOWN, and I need a 3d character/game,,,can one of those be applied, easily to a 3d person game ? Thats what I need desperately :)

THIS is where unity fails us, UE4 has it nailed, and frankly I'm perplexed why unity doesn't just give us a working 3d person char out of the box and prefent frustration like I'm going through. I want to design, not be forced through this horrible nightmare;)

Unity is wonderful, partly whyI"m here, i have a great WIP, but OMG.;)

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  4. junctionboss

junctionboss

Btw, while I have vs 2019 chosen, and restarted unity, I still cant' bring vs 2019 up by double clicking red warning line in console..what am I missing now ? lol

Yes also, visual studio 2019 IS chosen in Edit>preferences.Also and not directly related to this, when I click my name top of page, and click watched, it comes back with :

Watched Forums

You are not watching any forums.

I"m logged in as the person who made the post.

Any errors in current unity system ?

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Not all "red lines" will launch VS. What if you double click on a script (.cs) file? I trust that VS launches on it's own, when you launch it directly. And you're likely not watching any forums. A post does not generate a "watch".

6. junctionboss

junctionboss

I am watching at least one, bc it shows 'unwatch' at top ;),,I can launch VS on its own so its fine there, and clicking on > Assets/SampleAssets/Characters/ThirdPersonCharacter/Scripts/ThirdPersonCharacter.cs , does not open VS 2019 , which again is chosen in Edit >prefs .

7. Antypodish

Antypodish

Always use tutorials with matching Unity version.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  8. junctionboss

junctionboss

What are you talking about, that has nothing to do with my point.
    Always good advice, but sometimes when we cant find fixes for issues we need, right away, there is that nagging tempation to find what 'available'.

Maybe unity should just give users a character that works , like ue4 does, or make it crystal clear what to do, in what order--beginner need some hand holding, kinda like what ue4 does. Just a thought.

9. Antypodish

Antypodish

As far I am aware, character controller works completely fine in 2018.

Also, there are tons of characters controllers, many of them are already updated to 2018.
    Some even 2019.
    https://assetstore.unity.com/?q=character contoller&orderBy=0
    But I wouldn't assume, if something work before 2019, will work on 2019 as well. At least not yet.

People work with them, so they must work. Also, you can look Unity FPS sample, if you desire.
    But that may be far beyond for you at this stage.

10. junctionboss

junctionboss

Ty anty ,

I already had chosen one, given my budget which is almost zero , the :
    Third Person Controller - Basic Locomotion FREE
    I found looks acceptable , for now at least. If I can't get it to work, I'll go back to 2018 I guess. or maybe 2019.1 perhaps, we'll see.

cheers

11. junctionboss

junctionboss

Yes I've tried a few but had a hard time setting up, who knows maybe beta had something to do with it- but as you note, tuts for a given unity version is always wise.

Atm I'm only doing 3rd person game, but ya.
    Current: I'm going through the free basic locomotion and included character hoping I don't have to look any further ;))

TY for your aid.

12. junctionboss

junctionboss

None of the controllers , free ones anyway, on store work at all- cinemachine that I was recommended to use, squat- no idea what to choose next. IF only I could find that ONE youtube video I found once, worked if non ideal- I"m about out of idea and tired of trying, wasting time. I GOT CLOSE today with ethan but try as I did, I can't get rotation to work , on Y axis so no up/dow movement, and the TOP of play is cut off making it impossible to usel and ya my CAm is setup correctly. It shouldnt take this long to setup a character just to test a level. SIGH-I"ve checked ALL the free ones on store, nothing is working and its not bc of my programming, I"m getting tons better at that and fixing some errors thx i part to MS VS 2019--HM too much. TIred of this , going to UE4 for awhile and get something DONE ;)

13. Have fun and let us know how it works out for you.

tcmeric and Antypodish like this.
  14. junctionboss

junctionboss

I'm using Invector animator for now but camera goes through terrain ( you can see other side of terrain ruins reaism, and I know there is a script for that from unity, but its having no effect--any ideas ?