Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Unity Third Person Character - Import Export issue (Unity - 3dsMax)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Marou1, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Marou1

Marou1

Hi,

I am using the Unity third person controller from the asset store:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...sets-third-person-character-controller-196526

The asset works correctly in unity.

However, if I import the fbx in 3dsMax (2022) then export it from 3dsMax, with no modification, it will mess up the character in Unity (2021.3).

These are the screenshots before and after:
    upload_2023-3-4_10-40-18.png
    upload_2023-3-4_10-41-39.png

In game, the character moves and there are no errors, but it's grotesque because the lower parts move like they were legs.
    I should mention that during the export, I had to change the units from meters to centimeters, otherwise the character is 100 times bigger than initially, and messed up.
    Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

There's your problem! If there was no modification, then it would simply work.

Therefore, 3DSMax has actually made modifications.

At least the export scale has changed, which likely accounts for the 100x scale problem.

Possibly other things changed too, such as inter-piece relationships.

Something about how it is AFTER you save it does not jive with how it was BEFORE you save it.

Therefore you may wish to clone it so you can compare before / after and reimport it properly in Unity, which will give you a chance to reason about how 3DMAX (not Unity!) has changed your asset. Unity never changes your FBX file.

3. Marou1

Marou1

I was wondering if it was some basic known issue. Character rigging and animation isn't really my field, but ok, I will compare.
    Thanks for answering.