Search Unity

Unity, Thank You for Listening to us

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnRossitter, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Martin_H

Martin_H

How about this forum feature? Auto-ban everyone who opens 10+ threads within 1 hour and auto-delete those threads. I feel like I've seen those spambots several times in the last 24 hours.

2. QFSW

QFSW

I second this. Don't know if it work exactly in that way of course but something of that nature

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Suddenly I imagined an actual Unity developer being banned for creating 10+ official threads. :p

QFSW likes this.
  4. Player7

Player7

Exception rules, one rule for you all and another for them :D

Besides probably lithium sponsored spam bots anyway tbh :p

Besides I think given how long this forum has been left stagnant from any actual upgrades (and not just complete board software swap out) like avatars on boardviews /messageindex etc has me doubting any such anti spambot upgrades will be taken.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Shhh. You don't want to complain about lack of upgrades. We might get another one like last time. :p

Teila, MV10 and Martin_H like this.
  6. Martin_H

Martin_H

I've never seen any of them do that.
    The bot is back by the way...

How about this for incentivizing without gamification: Over the reply button write the question "Does your post potentially contribute to anyone making better games?", and rename the reply button to "yes (reply)". I'd love to see if that changes anything. Maybe disable it in certain sub forums where it makes little sense.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Do you know how many people I know who simply click "Allow" when the Windows UAC window pops up without actually thinking about it? After a while that's more or less what would happen with this suggestion.

8. Martin_H

Martin_H

Maybe till then some usage patterns have seen minor but permanent change? Also I don't think the same psychological mechanisms are at work in the two examples. But of course I'm way too lazy to dig for proof.
    I know what you mean though. I just disabled UAC altogether because I thought I'd mindlessly click allow anyway after a short while. Might as well not bother with it in the first place.

9. Teila

Teila

I responded here: Sorry, after writing the response I realized it was a different topic.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/gamification.416428/

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

ooooh.

Martin_H likes this.
  11. Martin_H

Martin_H

How are the chances we'll ever get a "thread-ignore" feature? Would you guys think it's a good idea?

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

A somewhat customizable new/recent posts list would be great.

13. neoshaman

neoshaman

It's funny that the person who invented gamification has move from them to gamefulness. Any talk about gamification want really hard to ignore intrinsic vs extrinsic reward. In fact the PENS measure is a better tool for motivation and rely on autonomy, mastery, relatedness and competence, under those it become clear why xenoferos is the preferred service.

Now let's look at
    https://community.lithium.com/t5/Sc...ewards-and-Their-Differences-from/ba-p/128969
    https://community.lithium.com/t5/Sc...s-Are-You-Intrinsically-Motivated/ba-p/135692
    Compare with that
    http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pink_on_motivation?language=en
    Extrinsic motivation applied to intrinsic motivation can be counter productive, most article that talk about it really want to talk about this, why? Because it's a negative, it introduce noise in the marketing and makes it complex, ie it reduce the perception of mastery of competence if it cannot be reduced to a formula that can be blindly applied, the nuance is just enough to give this idea that you are achieving mastery and competence, so the marketing speak stop there.

The missing piece is that almost no gamification system I have been looking at have something at the biggest driver of intrinsec motivation: belonging. Just look at fanboying, console war and engine war to see how much more powerful it is than mere badge and tally score. Leaderboards (how many badges, or like you have) tend to go against that by creating elite structures, in game design term they have slippery slope, the more you win = the more win, good games actually use rubber band to maintain the fun, see how these nintendo multiplayer game tend to stay evergreen. For a social game design study of that look at the board game starpower https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarPower_(game)

So the question is, how do you create belonging mechanics in a forum? What does rubber bands looks like? How do you integrate the "noob" and the "casual" without intimidating them?

:D

Teila likes this.
  14. neoshaman

neoshaman

And micro$oft lithiumed my former hotmail account ... what's up with this bad trend of:
    - bad minimalist design that don't have any affordances
    - huge useless whitespace
    - unreadable thin police and lay out that don't work on smaller windows ...
    - removale of useful features
    :eek: HELP

ImperativeGames and Martin_H like this.
  15. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm more shocked that Hotmail still exists. I remember using that horrible thing before jumping to Gmail. :eek:

16. Teila

Teila

I think this forum does a good job of creating "belonging" and community. Not sure why anyone thinks it is lacking that at all.

I do think the problem with rewards and badges is that they award those who have the time to post or like or whatever and punish people who might not have the time. Most of us won't care, but the ones who do and simply can't keep up will feel demotivated.

This one issue that is evident in MMO's. One reason people stay so long in one MMO is because of the community, the friends they have made. But once their friends leave, then they tend to play less. The less one plays, the more they fall behind and the easier it is to quit.

I imagine that could happen in a forum. When everyone was saying they were leaving on the Lithium forums, I felt very demotivated to stay. I doubt I would have been around as much without some of the regulars I have gotten to know here.

But..like Bartles player categories, there probably are forum ones too. I am social, but others like achievements. Still others like to "kill" threads, and then there are the ones that like to solve problems.

Like a game, there needs to be a balance. If you cater too much to the achievers, who like the awards, badges and stuff, then some of the others will not be as active.

17. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Yeah, you don't get full on forum rebellions like we got here if theres no community, so I'd say we got that.

Maybe this was some sort of meta strategy to build community by uniting it against a common enemy?

I guess in that respect, the Lithium forum did a great job of building community

Teila, Socrates, MV10 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Martin_H

Martin_H

I'm 100% sure that that wasn't the goal, and I'm also pretty sure that wasn't how it played out. I don't think bottom line the Lithium Incident was good for much except for not taking Xenforo for granted any more. It felt "uniting" to form an angry mob back then, but I don't feel like this forum now is any better than before the incident. If anything people seem to be even more "on edge" imho.