Search Unity

Unity Test Ad still showing in final game, downloaded from the app store (!)

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by JoeStrout, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

We integrated Unity Ads for the first time in our Rocket Plume project, which has just appeared on the App Store.

I thought that once the game was released, and I entered the App Store ID into the Unity project control panel, real ads would appear. But I just tested it on the real McCoy, downloaded straight from the App Store, and I'm still seeing the Unity test ad.

What have I missed? Where's the magic switch to make Unity start serving up real ads?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hmm... perhaps I've found the answer myself, under Settings in the platform control panel:

I'll have to wait and see if that fixes it... but it sure looks like it should.

If I'm still doing something silly, please let me know!

Thanks,
    - Joe

3. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Yes, you should be able to configure this in dashboard. Did it work? If not, also check that you haven't added that device as "test device"

/Rasmus

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

No, it didn't work... still seeing the Unity test ad today, both on my device and on my wife's (which I'm sure I have never used as a test device). Try it here if you want to check for yourself.

EDIT: And there are no test devices registered in the Unity Ads control panel.

Where else could the problem be?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  5. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Hi,

Downloaded your game, and can see that it requests ads for game id 1092763 (which is archived btw). However the game you seem to have configured in your post above is 1092761.

Depending on how you have integrated your game, either relink your project in Services window in Unity (if using engine integrated Ads SDK), or change the game id used for Initialization() call (if using asset store version). That should solve it.

Please let us know if you need additional information.

/Rasmus

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hmm... it must be a dumb mistake, but I'm not seeing it. Here's the code that sets up the SDK:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class ContinueDialog : MonoBehaviour, GameStateChangeReceiver {
    3.     const string adGameID = "1092761";
    4.     const string adZone = "rewardedVideo";
    6.     void Awake() {
    7.         Advertisement.Initialize(adGameID, true);
    I know that true at the end is requesting test ads (and I'm changing that to false for the next build), but the control panel should override that.

But more to the point, as you can see, I'm passing in 1092761 as the game ID. This matches what I see in the project control panel, and what you say I should use... but not, apparently, what your servers are actually receiving. How can that be?

7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

OK, I may have found it. Under Services, Advanced settings, there was the bogus game ID.

I thought I was using the SDK, but maybe I'm not... the two ways of doing things is a bit confusing. But clearly that had the wrong number, and that's the one that was getting to your servers. So I'm going to do a new build, with the right number in both places (and all "use test ads" switches turned off), and hope it finally works.

8. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Argh! It's still showing test ads. This is really frustrating.

I changed the game ID in the Services, Advanced settings panel. I verified that it was already using the right game ID in the code. The code is now passing false for the second parameter to Advertisement.Initialize. And I have the override switch set to force production ads in the project control panel.

What else could be wrong?

And, is there any way I can verify myself what game ID my game is requesting? Having to make a build, submit it to Apple, wait for approval, and then ask you guys to download it from the store seems like a very inefficient debug cycle for all involved. (But yes, you can go download version 1.0.1 today to see if it is somehow still sending the wrong ID.)

Thanks... I'm not quite ready to give up on Unity ads yet, but yikes, this has turned out to be a very rocky launch!

9. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Then I would suggest to disable the engine integrated Ads SDK, download SDK 2.0 from https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/66123 and use that. Then you are sure that you are controlling which game id is being used from the Initialize() call.

And thanks for the feedback. We need to make this simpler, instead of the confusion about game ids, especially if you are changing the Unity cloud project id (which seems to have been the case here)

Please let us know if this helps, and thanks for not giving up on us :)

/Rasmus

10. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Thank you. I removed disabled the engine Ad service, and installed the 2.0 SDK as you suggested. In testing this appears to work — for the first time, I saw real ads on my device.

Version 1.0.2 is now processing over at Apple... fingers crossed!

Maverickyy likes this.
  11. YuriyVotintsev

YuriyVotintsev

Same problem here. I was builded game and published it in test mode and overriden it in control panel to force disable test mode. Before disabling there was test ads, but now there is no ads at all. No test ads nor normal ads. (On any device)
    And now I build game with 2.0 sdk (disabling ad service) and with test mode set to false, and yet no ads.

12. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I would suggest (1) double-checking that the game ID you are passing to Initialize matches the game ID in your Unity control panel on the web, and (2) make sure you are catching and logging all errors from the advertising API calls.

What you're describing isn't the same problem as what I've been wrestling with, as I always saw test ads. But my guess is that the ad calls are returning errors, which you're just not seeing.

13. CryptaGames

CryptaGames

At the initialization you must put false because true means that you are on test mode.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class ContinueDialog : MonoBehaviour, GameStateChangeReceiver {
    2.     const string adGameID = "1092761";
    3.     const string adZone = "rewardedVideo";
    4.     void Awake() {
    5.         Advertisement.Initialize(adGameID, false);

flovo543 likes this.
  14. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

You can go to https://operate.dashboard.unity3d.com and choose to only show real ads for your game, in case you have forgotten the test mode flag when you submitted the game to app store.

/Rasmus

sadsd and h2oiluk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.