Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Terrain Ridging / Stepping?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by andrewtaylordev, Sep 2, 2021.

1. andrewtaylordev

andrewtaylordev

Hello!

I've been stuck on this issue for a while now -- I when I use the smooth brush, it creates 'steps' in the terrain. The brushes were working perfectly fine for about 1 week in this scene. It just started today, and I've tried everything I can think of to solve it. I have played around with various settings, such as increasing the resolution. This only makes the stepping higher resolution. Has anyone encountered this before?

Unity_Terrain.PNG image_2021-09-02_105555.png

Here are my terrain settings that I am using for each tile.

image_2021-09-02_105653.png

Thank you for your time!

2. andrewtaylordev

andrewtaylordev

Solved: Changing Desktop Graphics API to Direct3D11 solved this issue.

3. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

This issue is generally to do with your height resolution under the Texture Resolutions (on terrain data).

Unfortunately, this section is destructive, so if you change it, it resamples the whole terrain which would introduce, banding, stepping and all sorts.

in general, it's not something i feel works as you would normally think ( make large strokes with a low res, then increase the resolution for finer detailing as you go.

i would do my best to at the very least have double the resolution of your tile, so 128 x128 on your terrain size, be 257x257 or even 513x513 might be good for you.

because of the resampling though, that's why you have the stepping, there's just not enough resolution there to make it how you want,if you upscale high, it's just sharpening the pixels from the texture and giving you more triangles to sculpt with.

Attached Files:

unityunity