Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity terrain cannot find terrain layers

Discussion in 'World Building' started by BIGTIMEMASTER, Oct 1, 2019.

1. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

In the terrain inspector window, the layers menu is missing and I get this error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.PaintTextureTool.UpdateLayerPalette (UnityEngine.Terrain terrain) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.terrain-tools@2.0.2-preview/Editor/TerrainTools/PaintTextureTool.cs:744)
    3. UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.PaintTextureTool.OnInspectorGUI (UnityEngine.Terrain terrain, UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.IOnInspectorGUI editContext) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.terrain-tools@2.0.2-preview/Editor/TerrainTools/PaintTextureTool.cs:339)
    4. UnityEditor.TerrainInspector.ShowPaint () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TerrainEditor/TerrainInspector.cs:1433)
    5. UnityEditor.TerrainInspector.OnInspectorGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TerrainEditor/TerrainInspector.cs:1867)
    6. UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>c__AnonStorey1.<>m__0 () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorElement.cs:501)
    7. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    It's an issue with the Terrain Tools preview package. Removing it solves the error. However, reinstalling teh package still makes the error.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  2. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Can you file a bug report for me and I'll see if I can figure out what's wrong

BIGTIMEMASTER likes this.
  3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

will do. first thign tomorrow morning i send that out. I will need some time to try and reproduce it, but I think i had figured out that it was somethign to do with either amplify shader editor or megasplat being present in the project along with the terrain tools package. But I gotta go back and try to reproduce before I can say for certain.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    wyattt_ likes this.
  4. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

ok, thank you!

5. JulinoleumOne

JulinoleumOne

Have you been able to reproduce it? I got the same errors in my project when I start a build. The Terrain layers are gone afterward and terrains are not visible in the build

BIGTIMEMASTER likes this.
  6. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Ive been out of town and not able to work in that project. If I remember correctly, it seemed that the reliable way to solve the bug was by removing megasplat from the project.

If you have the same bug but don't have megasplat in your project... well then I dunno. Lol. But I am just working off memory here.

7. JulinoleumOne

JulinoleumOne

Had Megasplat before, but removed it when switching to HDRP. So I dont know if there is a remnant somewhere but it didnt fix the problem !

8. rafindio

rafindio

I'm having the same problem and I added the HDRP recently too.
    Unity 2019.2.21f1

Attached Files:

9. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

are you getting the same error or a different one?

10. N-8-D-e-v

N-8-D-e-v

simply restarting unity fixed everything for me, I am using Unity 2020.2f with URP

dkm likes this.
  11. dkm

dkm

Same here, had the issue with 2020.2f with hdrp. Restarting unity also fixed it.

12. N-8-D-e-v

N-8-D-e-v

unfortunately I get this error very often, and have to constantly restart when using terrain tools

13. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

heya everyone. which versions of the Terrain Tools packages are you all using?

14. N-8-D-e-v

N-8-D-e-v

Version 3.0.2-preview.3 - November 09, 2020

wyattt_ likes this.
  15. Rowlan

Rowlan

Maybe check this thread. Might be related to when stuff gets purple.

wyattt_ likes this.
  16. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

ok. thanks. i will have a look

17. marketlandaliyan

marketlandaliyan

same problem :( using unity 2020.2.2f1

18. Middelbo

Middelbo

Same problem here in: 2020.1.17f1.4949

19. VARtechLLC

VARtechLLC

Are there any updates for this? I'm having the same issue using Unity 2020.2.f3f1 and Terrain tools 3.0.2 preview3

unityunity