Search Unity

Unity Technologies Surpasses 100,000 User Milestone!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Feb 16, 2010.

1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

In the wake of making Unity free we've seen an explosion in the number of people downloading and using Unity and today we shared some particularly exciting news:

Unity Technologies Surpasses 100,000 User Milestone; to Expand Platform Support

A snippet from the above press release:

Read the full release for more, or just know that this rocket ship continues to reach new heights and it's incredibly exciting to be a part of it all!

Rock on!

2. KarelA

KarelA

That is great news. Only the matter of time when Unity takes over the world :twisted:

3. jamie

jamie

wow, would the core unity team have even dreamed that when it was released for just the mac a few years ago?! :)

4. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

All along I think we knew that we were on the cusp of rapid growth, but going from under 10K in October of 2009 to breaking 100K now in four months was simply never something I would have predicted.

"To infinity and beyond!" :)

5. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Not really. But a fuller answer is that a year ago I was trying to brainstorm what an audacious-but-eventually-realistic goal was to have 500K users... I believed that Unity could take off, but honestly nobody had quantified the expectations of going free so nobody could have told with any precision :)

d.

6. dontnormally

dontnormally

Hm, the users-to-tutorials ratio is now 20,000-1.

Just sayin'!

:)

[edit: typo]

7. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

I count six tutorials on our site, thirteen example projects, five extensions that demonstrate how to use various advanced parts of Unity, and some thirtysix video sessions of which probably around half have tutorial content.

And that's not counting http://learnunity3d.com/ and http://unitytutorials.com/ (the latter is down for a few days) and lots of others. Not counting Will Goldstone's book http://www.packtpub.com/unity-game-development-essentials/book.

But it's true, there's a lot of people to consume this content so it's a good thing that tutorials are not a perishable good :)

d.

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

though if you put in the "user that work through the tutorials and understand them, not just missuing them as copy paste blueprint" the ratio looks magnitudes better again ;)

9. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

**copies and pasted dreamora's answer into my own response**

though if you put in the "user that work through the tutorials and understand them, not just missuing them as copy paste blueprint" the ratio looks magnitudes better again ;)

10. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

having many users helped unity to be a better product. i am a user of unity engine. i use the free version but i answer many questions in unity answres. currently i am the 4th guy in users list. i think this is the value that unity gets from having many free users like me. i am not a good user but i try to be like what many other free users do. what i want to say is: having many users itself means users can learn unity in an easier way. in two months later you might see many new tutorials in those sites that DH put their links here. i think they should create more tutorials but the more important thing is to add new features and improve the documentation parts that need improvments like GUI part and editor docs. if they make documentation for example projects, they could be more useful for beginers and people that they are not programmers and unity is their starting point. i don't know how much important they are for UT but i think they are important too. [/quote]

11. Pulsar Coder

Pulsar Coder

12. GamersHeaven

GamersHeaven

Congrats!
    Iam one of the users that recently found unity and loves it.
    The main thing that made me look at unity whas open gl and wii support :D
    And now with ps3 support on the way :eek:
    EVEN BETTER!

13. snoopbaron

snoopbaron

Wow, this and the Unity 3.0 preview have made my day :D Rock on guys!

14. codinghero

codinghero

I'm just curious, since this user explosion happened after going free, what is the ratio of Free to Pro users?

15. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

What more do you want us to do right now? Everything in our store is already 20-35% off normal pricing (exact discount varies across the different licenses), offers you a pre-purchase opportunity for the v3.0 release (so you get v2.x access and v3.0 access once we ship) and you'll get pre-release builds (not all betas but at least some pre-release access). :)

I'm not sure what the exact ratio is but the vast majority of those new users are in fact using the free product. With that in mind a significant number of those that enter via the free product do seem to be upgrading to include iPhone publishing and/or Pro-level licensing. But as I said, I don't have a ratio number to offer in specific.

16. tatelax

tatelax

w00000t :D