Search Unity

Unity Technologies signs a multi-year deal with LEGO!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Feb 8, 2010.

1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I'm happy to announce that we've signed an exciting multi-year deal with LEGO to help them bring even more top-quality 3D content to the browser! From the press release:

Building on the success of LEGO® Star Wars: The Quest for R2D2 and BIONICLE: Glatorian Arena, Unity Technologies, the provider of the market-leading Unity development platform for 3D interactive content on the Web, PC, Mac, Wii™ and iPhone, announced today a new three-year deal with the LEGO Group, in which the company will standardize on Unity authored content for 3D contents on www.LEGO.com.

As one of the world's leading manufacturers of play materials for children, the LEGO Group recognizes the need to offer an innovative online environment for consumers to share their passion and creative flair. To do this, the LEGO Group is developing its web strategy to deliver an online consumer experience to match and enhance the real world fun and invention of LEGO products.
    The LEGO Group identified Unity as the best 3D platform available to fulfill its short-term and long-term requirements.

"We've invested a great deal of time evaluating technology for the next phase of www.LEGO.com," said Claus Toftegaard Matthiesen, Technology Manager of the LEGO Group. "We believe that Unity's flexibility, strength and power will give us scope to create world leading content for our consumers and are looking forward to the cooperation."
    "We're very excited to be playing such a significant part of the LEGO Group's future web plans, and this three-year deal is recognition that the Unity platform and our unrivaled support address the needs of browser-based content creation," said David Helgason, CEO of Unity Technologies. "We're experiencing rapid growth of the Unity plugin, with around 1 million installs per month, and we anticipate that this will grow exponentially as Unity is adopted by more sites and consumers become more familiar with our brand."
    To get the free feature-packed Unity to create games and interactive visualizations for the Web, PC and Mac, or to get a free 30 day evaluation of Unity Pro or Unity iPhone, go to http://unity3d.com/unity/download/.

Read the full press release using either of the following links:

Lego Group Inks Strategic 3 Year Deal With Unity Technologies
    Unity Technologies strikes multi-year deal with LEGO for 3-D browser games

Exciting stuff to say the least!

2. nickavv

nickavv

Very cool that Unity's getting a big name like this with them. Congratulations!

3. cannon

cannon

Congrats! 90,000 developers now, the growth is impressive :D

4. IPete

IPete

Absolutely great news - well done UT you deserve it.

All the best.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

Great news
    Congrats to this well deserved industry acknowledge :)

6. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

This is indeed fantastic news! Very well done to everyone at UT.

Best Regards,
    Matt.

7. KaelisAsur

KaelisAsur

Exuberation! Great success!

Congrats and wish you luck.

8. galent

galent

I just read the article over on gamesindustry.biz. Congratulations Unity team!

very cool! 8)

Cheers,

Galen

9. Matroblend

Matroblend

Congratulations to everyone at Unity, we look forward to an even better Unity.

10. redd

redd

Very, very cool to hear.

Although, I'm happy to hear that I think I'll manage to beat them to the iPhone :D

Latest dev video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fFxU_iAk7g
    (Made with Unity. Hopefully ready for, oh... March-ish)

Still, I'd like to give Lego a friendly, "Hi! Welcome to the neighborhood!"

11. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Congratulations Unity!

12. HeadClot

HeadClot

Congrats UNITY!

I am Glad that You got a 3 yr. Contract with lego. I still Have my legos from when I was 15.

13. cannon

cannon

I still have my legos from when I was... 31...

14. Bones3D

Bones3D

Hmm... Any chance we'd see this extend into the Lego "Mindstorms" line, or is this mostly just the games segment?

(I could see Unity having potential for rapid prototyping of Mindstorms creations before going to construction on a highly complex mechanism...)

15. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

As noted in the press release this is about their games in particular. Of course this is also the start of a deeper ongoing relationship with LEGO so who knows where that might lead in the future. :)

16. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

This is amazing, Unity keeps getting bigger and bigger :D .

But can you guys handle all that attention?

17. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Good question. It's sometimes tough, and some things have been dropped over the years.

But most important thing is that Unity Technologies works as a business, which means that we can scale with the new attention and that we can catch up with all of this as we grow. We've got an awesome team (around 40 new people in the last year), and as these new guys (and girls, albeit sadly not many) pick up speed and learn the ropes we catch up in a big way.

:)

d.

18. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Good to hear. :D