Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Technologies Sale/Options [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cogent, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ippdev

ippdev

This is BS..but if Sumner Redstone is involved I will be out of Unity on day one. I won't put one red cent in that scumbags pocket. But this is BS.

2. Moonjump

Moonjump

What are you waiting for? The only way rumours of a sale will go away is if they sell. A potential sale is one of those things you cannot prove the absence of.

3. Teila

Teila

Because at this point, there is no reason not to wait. If we were ready to publish, it would be another matter.

4. tswalk

tswalk

I personally don't think that their group is trying to acquire Unity. However, I do believe they're using tactics to persuade investors and developers away from it by using their media channels to swing them to their own platform and tools by manipulate minds.

Just speculation, but I think it is fairly easy to draw some conclusions just by looking at the parties involved.

5. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

My personal opinion on the matter is that Microsoft would be the best option to purchase Unity.
    Microsoft has long been the king of development toolchains and environments (anybody who has used Visual Studio knows this).
    A Microsoft-owned Unity could potentially mean vastly better integration with Visual Studio for, say, debugging.

There's also rumors that Microsoft is moving to acquire Xamarin http://www.zdnet.com/is-microsoft-about-to-buy-xamarin-7000027434/

If Microsoft were to acquire both Unity and Xamarin, it would spell good news for Unity. Not only could the Mono team benefit from the actual Microsoft .NET code (and thus bring Mono up to par with full .NET), the latest and greatest Mono would certainly be integrated into Unity free of the licensing cost which is currently limiting UT.

You've gotta admit, having the latest and greatest .NET features available to Unity would be amazing.

EDIT: Additionally, if the rumors are true and Microsoft is moving to acquire Xamarin, the only reason I could see them doing so is if they plan to support Mono (otherwise, they already own .NET which is practically by definition ahead of Mono, so they'd have no reason to acquire Xamarin if their intent was to make it MS-exclusive).
    Thus, it stands to reason if MS were to support Mono in all of it's multiplatform glory, they would also support Unity in all of it's multiplatform glory rather than make it MS platform exclusive.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  6. ippdev

ippdev

MicroSoft would purposely hobble iOS and Android and add stuff to Windows Phone exclusively in yet another of hundreds of attempts to force their platforms on everybody..like it or not.. I have no doubt in my mind..and they would push their schtick down everybody's throat.

JAKJ likes this.
  7. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I wouldn't be so sure.
    Hobbling the multiplatform nature of Unity means hemorrhaging customers.
    Take a look at the mobile hardware stats for Unity (http://stats.unity3d.com/mobile/os.html)
    70% played on Android. 26% played on iOS. A teeny, tiny 2% played on Windows Mobile. Effectively, if Microsoft were to make it Windows Mobile exclusive, they'd be hacking off a whopping 98% of the market.
    It's a stupid business move no matter how you look at it. Effectively they'd be paying 2 billion just to purchase 2% of Unity's customer base. There's no way they could justify that purchase.

8. ippdev

ippdev

It would not happen all at once. They would... as always... stealthily introduce stuff that only works on their crap. You want an example of recent? They now use something they bought that was named UnityVS and incorporated it in VisualStudio..but they give no support at all for UnityScript hobbling 30+ per cent of developers from using that tool if on Windows. There is no OS X version of VS. Is UnityScript not a part of Unity? Yet they already ignore it and said they will not add support for it. How ya gonna justify this??

AutoDesk is moving all their applications to a subscription model in 2015-2016. See here the reactions from the CG Community... http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=1223109 Won't be much different here if they acquire Unity..Outrage will redline and folks will bail en masse. I will.

Google will rape every app made with Unity if they acquire it by sucking up user data pissing people off.

JAKJ likes this.
  9. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Good god you're a cynical fellow.
    The UnityScript example hardly works in your favor - UnityVS never did support UnityScript, its only purpose was to add support for debugging between VS and Unity. And since VS does not support UnityScript (because it's a Unity-specific language - and a somewhat hobbled one at that).... you get the picture.

EDIT: herp derp pulling facts out of my butt. Apologies.

VS not being on Mac is a pretty weak argument as well.

EDIT: And before the Unityscript flame war erupts over my use of the word "hobbled"... when I say that, what I mean is that there are very rich features of C# that don't exist in UnityScript, thus it's a somewhat hobbled second-class citizen.

EDIT 2: I'd also like to say that, if you are fluent in Unityscript, then you can definitely learn C#. Actually, it wouldn't be very much trouble for you at all, as they are syntactically not that different.
    For instance:
    Code (csharp):
    2. var something : Transform = null;
    Becomes:
    Code (csharp):
    2. Transform something = null;
    And:
    Code (csharp):
    2. function myFunction()
    3. {
    4. }
    Becomes:
    Code (csharp):
    2. void myFunction()
    3. {
    4. }
    To give a handful of examples.

10. zenGarden

zenGarden

We can see the strong point of the subscription model of UE4 : after cancelling a subscription you can still use the software as long as you want and make a game. That's not the case with Autodesk or Adobe Photoshop.

You will always find open source software and 3D engines, or non rental alternatives software.

11. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Both of those statements are false. UnityVS previously added new project types to VS which allowed VS to open UnityScript projects; it also added some stuff like syntax highlighting. The support wasn't as rich as C#, but it was most certainly present.

12. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

A-whoops, there I go spouting stupid crap on the internet... :oops:
    That said, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with removing UnityScript support. IMHO everybody should just use C#, but that's my personal opinion.

13. goat

goat

here

FB, app store search, and smart phones are what most people use to 'surf' the net. Niche 'Magazine' style apps eliminate the need to Google/Bing some bizarre web address. You can bet the owners of the 'niche Magazine apps' are the ones raking in advertising dollars from place ads if they are sensibly managed. FB on the iPod touch / smart phone is pretty effective at weeding out all the interruptions to productive thought from Google, MS, FB and other advertisers through shear lack of screen space.

That said, I dislike even surfing the Asset Store, let alone an App Store.

14. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

That is not the way Microsoft views things. Microsoft always assumes they can force everybody to use their latest OS release regardless of what users actually want and regardless of what the statistics say. Microsoft would love to hack themselves off from 98% of the market on the off chance a few users might switch to their products. I honestly could see Microsoft paying top dollar for Unity and then gutting the massive multi-platform advantage that Unity has.

Microsoft would not do it directly. They will do it in slow, subtle ways through a bunch of different seemingly trivial incompatibilities and dependencies. But eventually, Unity development will require the absolute latest version of Windows plus the absolute latest Microsoft development tools and we will no longer be able to fully target other platforms when building games. We'll all have to install Visual Studio Pro plus SQL Server. Even though nobody would need SQL Server, Microsoft will make some other piece of the software puzzle require SQL Server because that is Microsoft's constant pattern in the IT industry. Microsoft makes sure everything requires more Microsoft software in order to work. Eventually, Unity would require thousands of dollars worth of Microsoft software and require several hours of additional software installs on the latest Microsoft OS in order to work.

Ask anybody in the IT industry about how Microsoft operates and you will get a clear picture of what Microsoft would likely do with Unity if given the chance.

resequenced and JAKJ like this.
  15. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

We going to convert an thread about sale rumours into one about c# vs JS? Let's keep on track or we'll have another "omg Unity shut down a thead about sales rumours" problem to solve.

16. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

There's absolutely zero evidence to support those claims.
    I, for one, would actually welcome support with other tools. For example, integration with Visual Studio Online (previously Team Foundation Server) could be a neat alternative to the current Asset Server.

tango209 likes this.
  17. GiusCo

GiusCo

From a business perspective, iOS and Android are a total waste of time today. MS Unity would be good for devs and make sense, on paper. One other option could be some hardware powerhouse looking for their own interactive media creation and streaming tool, say Sony or Samsung maybe?

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've been waiting to press stuff.

19. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I think however you look at it, somebody looking to buy Unity for its customer base needs to maintain Unity's wide reach in order to maintain that customer base - and that includes iOS and Android which is arguably where Unity really shines (although that may change soon - Unity 5, anyone?)

Moonjump likes this.
  20. GiusCo

GiusCo

Yes you're right, I was taking an indie perspective in saying that mobile market is dead as a business plan, at least at Western world hour rates. In fact, Pros shoot higher (Mac, PC, console, web) and then eventually dumb down for mobiles.

From the engine perspective, the free mobile licenses for indies make marginal profit from the Asset Store, but for how long? Money is big where you meet the rich, not the hobbyists, the skint and the many from poor or developing countries.

UT have democratised game development in 2010, now it's a completely different scenario and they need to adapt (making Unity 5 compete with UE) or cash out. They know what, the effort may be too much.

21. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Didn't they already do that? Look at the addon costs for Unity... :/

22. malosal

malosal

Seems to me more of a tabloid like article than anything.

23. malosal

malosal

Wouldn't a microsoft take over be a threat to the ios developing side?

24. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

25. zenGarden

zenGarden

They can take very bad decisions, remember Xbox one announcement stating you must stay onnected to play a game or kinect for everyone. Finally they changed all that and try giving indie support, because PS4 was more interesting in these points.

MS could buy and just keep MS products related to Unity , all people wanting Android , ios would have to find another solution. No one knows or can say what could change or arrive later if MS would buy UT.
    If it happens and turns bad, you'll still have a great alternative as UE4 low price and mobile support growing.

26. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We always wanted to make a game engine that is accessible to everyone - to give customers an equal chance to develop great games and compete with larger players.

In other words, democratise game development.

The role we now have in the gaming industry has been noticed by other companies. And today we have partnerships and collaborations with many of them. And these partnerships have enabled us to make it even better for you guys. For example offering you access to even more platforms in Unity at no extra cost. Sometimes when we talk to our partners, discussions turn to talk of acquisition.

Our response has always been that for Unity it is best to be an independent company.
    This has been true for the last 10 years, it is equally true today.

So to sum it up: We have no plan to sell Unity.

Mark_01, spark-man, twobob and 78 others like this.
  27. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Is Pro a requirement for your app? I use Pro for iOS and Free for Android... If my Android market expands, I'll eventually purchase Android also... Best rule of small business - don't spend until necessary!

Gigi

Cogent likes this.
  28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You heard it from the top folks. Joachim has said his piece, so it's time to put the thread to bed :)

29. adamhill

adamhill

I will gladly trade F# support in UnityVS for UnityScript any day of the week :)

30. Teila

Teila

Yeah, it is necessary, unfortunately. :) But Joachim's post has made me happy. Thanks. I do rather wish they would give a break for those of us using PC exclusively rather than just to app and console users and also discount multiple purchases. In my mind, that would really be democratizing. ;)

31. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

This should surprise exactly nobody.

inafield and rockvider83 like this.
  32. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

PC only? That's not too bad at just $1500. As I only develop for mobile, the first $1,500 just unlocks iOS & Android pro. :(

Gigi

33. Toad

Toad

Very glad to hear it.

34. Cogent

Cogent

Whew!
    *wipes brow*

Well that is about as official as it can get.

Thanks for the response Joachim.

Cheers :)

35. Teila

Teila

It is all relative, right? ;)

Gigiwoo likes this.
  36. angel_m

angel_m

Thanks Joachim.

37. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Thanks for the clarification.

38. Krahgnatokz

Krahgnatokz

Can't give more likes to this. Unity forever independent!! And thanks for keeping it that way guys

39. BeefSupreme

BeefSupreme

Good to hear!

40. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

Thanks for the response! I don't think that leaves any question unanswered. Really I think we should all take the increased demand for Unity by other corporations as a good thing. It only signifies its continued success.

41. ZJP

ZJP

That clear and limpid. Modo, close the thread. :p

42. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I dunno, people may want to respond to Joachim's post or just say what they're feeling, but no need to drag the topic of what-ifs out any more :)

Gigiwoo and JAKJ like this.
  43. ZJP

ZJP

Better, much better... ;)

Gigiwoo and Guile_R like this.
  44. JAKJ

JAKJ

I feel like one of the best pieces of evidence in favour of the truth of Joachim's statement is the statement's existence. In other words, what other company on the planet the size of Unity would ever give enough of a crap to even have the CTO posting on the message board, and would even make a statement in the first place?

The three stages of "getting big" are as follows: 1) Become too big to have time to respond to people; 2) Become too complex to be able to safely respond to people; 3) Have your PR department start telling you what to do instead of the other way around.

I think UT never got CC'd on that memo.

45. Meltdown

Meltdown

Yay :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

46. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

They didn't "allow" Bungie to do anything, since they don't own Bungie anymore and are in no position to allow or disallow them to do anything.

--Eric

TylerPerry likes this.
  47. malosal

malosal

Thank God! Thanks for the announcement Joachim. It really eased my mind.

48. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Cleaned up. Trolling is not welcome. Left eric's post though since it corrects some inaccurate claims. This thread is winding down as the original concerns & point of the the thread were addressed by the co-founder of Unity, which I'll quote here:

mcroswell likes this.
  49. Cogent

Cogent

50. Cogent

Cogent

/agree

Hey, I did my part with the [solved] tag...

:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.