Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Technologies Sale/Options [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cogent, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cogent

Cogent

2. tswalk

tswalk

If a Chinese investor picks it up, i'll drop it like a hot rock....

just sayin'

3. Cogent

Cogent

"The feelgood factor that surrounds the company and its tools is unique in mobile history – yes, developers complain about problems and bugs, but few if any give up the ghost entirely and most, if pushed, will admit that Unity is a company that listens to the concerns of the development community even if it can't react immediately."
    Keith Andrew

True?

4. Cogent

Cogent

IPO

Hmm...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  5. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

I didn't like the closing of the previous similar thread, for whatever reason.
    In some cases an acquisition works well for the clients, in other not.

The article http://www.pocketgamer.biz/comment-...le-but-can-you-just-hold-out-a-little-longer/ says it right, Unity is unlikely to keep its multi platform nature after an acquisition.

As a client, one of the major reasons of purchasing Unity 5 Pro license and investing time on it is its multi platform nature.

I would like to see some response from Unity regarding this.

GregMeach likes this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You're not entitled to a response about internal company affairs from Unity unless it's more than rumour. The other thread was locked and this is a continuation of the other thread, so if it grows out of hand and doesn't stay on target, it too will be locked.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    user2678 likes this.
  7. ZJP

ZJP

Because someone was talked about the UE4 price...Again...

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Repeatedly actually. I deleted 5 posts from the same individuals before enough was enough.

user2678 and Dustin-Horne like this.
  9. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Time for the ban hammer? :)

10. alt.tszyu

alt.tszyu

Why?
    If its because you don't want to support the Chinese companies then, you better do your research on the products you buy and use. They have a lock on the components, manufacturing, and labor on most of the products you use.

11. BeefSupreme

BeefSupreme

Not much to do but wait and see, really. It is a wake up call for investing so much time and effort in a single tool, or so the pessimist in me says.

12. alt.tszyu

alt.tszyu

When will they learn. Stop talking about the price!

MoonbladeStudios likes this.
  13. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

"You're not entitled to a response about internal company affairs from Unity unless it's more than rumour."
    I am expecting an official response to this rumour. At some point at Unite, Joachim Ante said about Unity's intention to be more transparent. Here is a good chance to apply that. What I got so far is an unofficial "no comment" from Aras (which is a response btw, thanks Aras).

I am also expecting more sane customers who have invested in a tool more time and money than me to be curious about this subject as well, because a potential sell affects people's decisions. Those decisions involve choosing other engines, so it is not unnatural to see posts regarding this option. Hippocoder, thanks for getting in trouble to explain why you closed the previous thread but I believe that regardless the noise, the info on this topic is important and I need access to it via a thread.

MoonbladeStudios and Zaddo67 like this.
  14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Oh yeah I totally agree with you. I'm just saying you or I aren't *entitled* to a response. We can ask but there's no demand as there's no substance. I too, would love to know more about this situation due to a large cash investment into using Unity. Should it be going a direction I do not like, I need to know more.

I'm still not entitled based on a rumour though :)

MoonbladeStudios and user2678 like this.
  15. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

This type of rumour has come and gone a bunch of times in the past, and honestly... the article this one came from didn't even say a sale was being considered.

In fact, from memory it did the opposite. Two anonymous sources were quoted. One of them agreed that a) Unity had considered options at some time and that b) one of those options was a sale. Those things are both true by default, and in no way suggest that a sale was being pursued (it's always "an option"). The other said something like being unaware of any discussion of a sale, which is actually evidence against the rumor. Though both should be taken with giant grains of salt in any case, since they're anonymous and therefore completely unreliable sources. (I mean, the people themselves may be perfectly reliable, but to us they're meaningless since there's no way to evaluate what they reportedly said.)

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying that anything is or isn't happening. I'm just saying that the article in question doesn't actually inform us of anything useful.

AnomalusUndrdog likes this.
  16. Cogent

Cogent

True.

The only source that can authoritatively dispel / confirm the rumors though is UT, the sooner the better.

17. dbryson

dbryson

Sadly, UT could step up and tell us what they think about this, but they probably won't and we'll be left wondering.

18. Mr.T

Mr.T

I dunno about the ban hammer. Well beyond my user grade

However, it is surprising that people who produce forum software haven't yet introduced a feature that allows forum mods to disable certain users from posting in certain threads.

Some of those posters that derailed the previous thread appear to be reasonable people - they just seemed stuck on stupid in that particular thread(I won't take usernames sorry)

This is less drastic than a ban hammer and allows the mods more flexibility. Probably some forum software already exists with that feature, but I would think this feature should have been more widely available from the start

EDIT: My 2 cents on that. Hope this thread doesn't get derailed too

On topic.
    Impossible to say anything on rumors.
    Just like the previous venturebeat article, this one too seems based on rumors and theories

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  19. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Stop liking your own damn comments!

Sir-Tiddlesworth and calmcarrots like this.
  20. schmosef

schmosef

If it HAS to be anyone, I'd prefer Microsoft be the buyer.

MoonbladeStudios and Cogent like this.
  21. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

As Aras said, I doubt you're going to get one. There's a reason why almost no company comments on rumours like these ones - it's because any comment, whether it's to confirm or deny, can impact both current and future negotiations.

22. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Some troll with the username hlppocoder. Notice the "l" instead of "i".

hippocoder likes this.
  23. Archania

Archania

He is trying to get as many likes as he can. What people do for attention I tell ya lol

hippocoder likes this.
  24. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I'm going to reiterate Aras's previous point in this thread, we don't comment on speculation and rumour.

25. Archania

Archania

So you are saying your pleading the 5th... lol

26. Aurore

Aurore

I won't lie, I had to google what that meant, I'm british yo.

27. docsavage

docsavage

e not done many posts everyone but as Ippokratis said it is affecting the way I view my future use of UT so I think it's worth posting in a hope that UT see it is a concern.

It is making me think twice about any future asset store purchases I am interested in.

I would think that any asset store devs (whose products permit) would give purchasers a promise to allow their product licence to be transferrable to any other development platforms. This would encourage sales to those customers holding off AND continue UTs revenue stream.

I am tending to agree with this, and for what my opinions may or may not be worth I give the following reasons:

I can't see MS dropping UT in a hurry. Even if things didn't go as well as planned they would probably build some UT integration into other dev products. They have the money to keep up support.

MS now own UnityVS (Is this a precursor of things to come?). Full Visual Studio pro and express integration as standard would be nice.

MS opening up any other dev tools for use with unity users.

From what I can tell MS whilst being still a vast company is becoming more transparent (I may be totally wrong but get the feeling the other big players have made them have a rethink). See link below as an example:

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/why-the-u-s-needs-better-privacy-laws-now/

Out of Apple, Google and MS the first two seem most likely to be less flexible on porting due to size of user base, apple history and company policies in particular point to this. I can't see Microsoft shutting down porting to platforms. This would be madness as they would cull most of there profits from the company in no time by loss of users etc.

I went to one of the unity porting events and the MS guys were excellent (can't comment on the other companies but this was my experience). I am old enough and cynical enough to not be duped by sales and marketing blurb people. In this case I am confident I was not being manipulated. It was business but open and well done.

I still want to be able to use free tools such as blender, which I can't see autodesk being happy with.

I don't want my games to be LOADED with ads to the extent that facebook appear to do with their facebook games - Farmville etc. I like the choice that unity ads allows giving my customers (hopefully many :) ) a better experience.

If it did get sold then to whoever buys UT I would urge them to maintain the cross platform model. If they are really desperate to favour their own products then give incentives. For example MS buys UT. MS states that unity devs can have a FULL pro licence and VStudio pro on prevision that the developed game/app is a windows exclusive for x months (maybe with a reduction in months as an exclusive as more products are released). I for one would jump at this as a strapped for cash solo developer. Otherwise stick to standard or similar model.

Lastly do I want UT to sell up? If UT have the money and don't need to sell I'd say stay as independent as possible. I have spent a fair bit recently for my product in the asset store and don't want to have to change to other platforms as UT is working for me.

At the end of the day they know their business finances better than any of us. They have employees who probably have families that need feeding and bills to pay like most of us. They are responsible for their wellbeing as well as the customers.

Doc

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  28. ippdev

ippdev

But you will post a few thousand words about the speculation about some investor market hucksters article that is merely an attempt to up their investor inside knowledge cachet to sell even more useless articles in the future.

Ryiah and Archania like this.
  29. Cogent

Cogent

UT has every right to refrain from commenting on the speculation and rumors.

I'm sure everyone here would encourage UT to do so.

What are the facts then?

docsavage likes this.
  30. Archania

Archania

Apparently nothing. Everyone else is pulling it out their backside trying to come up with it.

angrypenguin and Cogent like this.
  31. docsavage

docsavage

Speculation is different to the type of sales and marketing blurb I mentioned. This is not just a company telling me how good their product is and how great they are and why I should buy into them.

If it was just some sales bumph I wouldn't be wasting my time.

The point is speculation needs dealing with if it looks like it can get out of hand. Companies can lose value quickly due to speculation if it is not dealt with quickly enough. Creating and exploiting loss of confidence in markets/products is not only a reality but sadly standard business practice for some. Just look at any stock exchange.

I posted because I am enough of a user and supporter of the UT product and culture that I thought this needed comment on. I gave opinions on why I prefer one company over the alternatives mentioned and gave some other suggestions that may be worthwhile to some.

Re the few thousand words comment I didn't do a word count and am not rainman but doubt it goes over a few hundred.

32. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

IMO there must be at least talks, because otherwise wouldn't they just say it's not true?

33. ippdev

ippdev

I read financial news daily. The article was pure hucksterism and a piss poor attempt at financial writers cachet and article portfolio extension. It has nothing to do with reality and boots on the ground. They could have written that Warren Buiffet was going to buy McDonalds for it's real estate holding. That McDonalds has the largest real estate holdings of most any company (except the Queen of England and The Vatican) and Warren Buffet likes real estate and has the cash to make it happen is true. The actual mechanics are just alot of voodoo market fluff looking at some point to divide a fool and their money or disrupt the stock market valuation o some other huckster can make a buy and sell it at some point to profit.

34. ippdev

ippdev

Typically..no.. Companies do not say no to rumors. That would keep their PR folks tied up with BS. They just simply do not comment in most case where they have experienced boots on the ground in PR.

Zaddo67 and docsavage like this.
  35. Cogent

Cogent

Unity is privately held correct?

If they did an IPO could they structure it such that they retain control over it's "destiny" ? :D
    Zynga, Pincus + stock class

Side benefit perhaps is UT may then have funds to pay off the Xamarin extortionists. :D

Would like to keep Unity as our middleware tbh.

36. docsavage

docsavage

Ippdev I like this reply. You are saying that you actually follow the financial markets closer than probably the majority. For people with more knowledge on these things you hold little value in these articles. BUT for customers/consumers who don't read financial news then these articles can be compelling/worrying/whatever.

I would encourage you (I am not being sarcastic) and others to use any financial insight you may have to give good clear and objective reasons on why these articles are rubbish and post them so that some confidence is injected into these threads and ultimately back into the company.

37. Cogent

Cogent

Well, in the future we are going to have to ask you to provide us with an accurate word count or we will have to lock any thread in which you are participating.

We can't afford to speculate on the size of your posts!

Thanks for your cooperation.

:p

38. docsavage

docsavage

My wife would have locked all my verbal threads years ago :)

Very rare I post much anywhere. Good job probably.

Cogent likes this.
  39. Moonjump

Moonjump

It was disappointing that the last thread got closed. There was a lot of noise, but there were still people talking about an important subject. Not allowing discussion about it would be worrying.

Unity is a strong product with a large user base and good industry visibility, so it is a prime target. Therefore there are going to be articles about the possibility. I'm sure there have been good offers, but the most likely reason for not selling is that David Helgason and Joachim Ante enjoy running Unity too much. Long may that continue.

The only platform holders likely to be really good for Unity would be one of the Chinese portals. They get to be another platform option, but see the existing platforms as sources of income rather than competitors.

Cogent likes this.
  40. Cogent

Cogent

/agree

We / they need to control the noise but seeing too many little lock icons on the forums doesn't inspire confidence imo.

41. Aurore

Aurore

Mods deleted several off topic posts and there were warnings but alas it remained off topic which was sad, you are allowed to discuss this though.

Cogent likes this.
  42. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

While some seem to understand this non confirmation or denial viewpoint... I do not. Simply posting a meaningful response of "We have no intention of selling" takes slightly less effort & time than posting "we don't comment on speculation and rumor".

43. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thats an abuse bot, hlppocoder. We've been banning that username, but it appears to also like posts, possibly it's either buggy or just part of a wider plot. It's not me though.

AnomalusUndrdog, Zaddo67 and Cogent like this.
  44. Cogent

Cogent

Just for the record I think this is one of the better managed communities I've ever spammed. ;)

45. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

I really don't get the point of this thread. It just stresses me out because we have all invested a lot into Unity (some more than others) and it would be heartbreaking if the value of that investment was devalued because the company was sold to new owners that were unsympathetic to mine or your needs.

The reality is, no-one posting here has any information beyond what was posted in a couple of highly speculative, not worth the paper they were printed on, articles. Dwelling on it, won't make any difference to the ultimate outcome, except us spending more time worrying about it.

As tempting as it is to read these rumor threads, I for one am just going to try and ignore them.

[Edit]
    PS. I do enjoy the humor aspect of the last few posts.

hippocoder likes this.
  46. Mr.T

Mr.T

The problem with that though, is that people will start expecting Unity Spokespersons to issue denials every time a rumor surfaces.

For the record, here is Mr. Helgason's post on this subject from not a long time back (May 2014)
    from here

"Being approached by big companies about them wanting to acquire you is tricky business: all of them are companies we have to work with on a regular basis, so it's no good to be rude to them and tell them to F*** off. Instead we chat with them, and try to find out how we can help them without them having to acquire us. This leads to good conversations, and in the end we have really great working relationships with almost all the big companies around us.

The negative is that meanwhile rumors flourish, which is frustrating but ultimately meaningless – we've been doing this for 11 years now, and don't intend to stop anytime soon.

So to be clear: some of those rumors are true, but that doesn't mean that we were close to selling."

afonseca, AnomalusUndrdog and Dantus like this.
  47. imtrobin

imtrobin

You should know if companies always sell if valuation are right. The investors in Unity (or other companies) will want to get their money back. If someone offers 10B to buy Unity now, you think they won't sell?

As you can see in Epic case, Tencent bought them and we have UE4. Which is said to be good as UDK was not that attractive..

So stop worrying about Unity being sold..... and be prepared.

48. Enoch

Enoch

The article/articles may be a puff pieces for hits but so what. What excites/concerns most people I imagine is that the underlying assumptions are real. Unity IS well positioned in the space to make a very attractive potential acquisition for a lot of the bigger players. They have been approached in the past. They are at a cross-roads where an injection of cash might be needed to combat a perceived potential competitive threat (though I am not completely convinced UE posses that big of threat yet, but at the very least competition heating up in this space), it is completely conceivable that unity leadership might just be shaken just enough to sell under the right offer. Not to be completely cynical but Unity is rapidly approaching that business position where either the stop growing and die, turn into a big player or get gobbled up by one.

This isn't idle speculation out of left field. The idea is completely feasible, some might even say inevitable. Now is there an actual real offer on the table that is being seriously considered right now? We have no idea, and Unity couldn't tell us if that was the case (offers like that are almost always shrouded in non disclosure). Rumors and leaked shaky sources will be the only insight we will get before any official announcement. Until we have something more solid it is still fun to speculate, just don't place any bets on incalculable odds.

As for the potential buyers I am with you, I still think MS hold the most benefit.

Cogent and docsavage like this.
  49. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Damn, I need more popcorn for this.

Cogent likes this.
  50. Cogent

Cogent

/agree

posted by: GarBenjamin,
    "While some seem to understand this non confirmation or denial viewpoint... I do not. Simply posting a meaningful response of "We have no intention of selling" takes slightly less effort & time than posting "we don't comment on speculation and rumor"."

/agree_strongly

While UT as a corporate entity has the right to withhold whatever information they wish they might want to consider the impact on all of the developers they "democratized" game development for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.