Search Unity

Official Unity support for OpenXR in preview

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by rickmus, Dec 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tech-Labs

Tech-Labs

At the moment I've run into yet another issue (Unity 2020.3, XR 4.0.5, OpenXR 1.0.3) using my Vive Pro Eye and using the eye tracking functionality.
    When I call the eye tracking calibration (runs in SteamVR) the calibration runs fine, but when done it returns to the default "Waiting for application" screen of SteamVR. This looks like a new issue as I've never run into this before. Other projects (pre 2020 and OpenXR and XR plugins) all ran fine. The "Waiting for application-name" only occurred when initially starting the application. Switching to the calibration utility never posed any problems on returning to the Unity app.
    It also seems to happen more often using a build version of the project. Some instances work fine in the Editor which do not work (ie showing the "Waiting for application" pop-up) in the build version.

What I do is:
    - At the start of my scene I check if the XRDevice is running, if not I Initalize and start the Subsystem.
    - So the scene starts fine in the Vive
    - Then I wait for a key press (new input system) and call the SRanipal.Eye.LaunchCalibration method
    - The calibration program runs fine
    - After calibration (the calibration program quits automatically) I end up in the SteamVR limbo environment (in my case a blueish sky) with the "Waiting for <apllication name>" pop-up in view. The Unity scene is actually active on the background (I can hear the audio).

That is in the Editor. If I build this (64 bit ofc) and run it directly the whole application hangs at the start with the pop-up "Waiting for <application name>". So the scene doesn't even start properly.

Any ideas?

Marco

2. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

I'm using the latest OpenXR plugin (1.20), Action Based (which is working fine with Oculus XR plugin), and Oculus Runtime. HMD is tracking, but controllers will not track or move.(Rift S)

Could not recreate input device 'Oculus Oculus Touch Controller OpenXR (XRInputV1)' with layout 'OculusTouchController' and variants 'Default' after domain reload

Cannot find parent 'devicepose' of control 'devicepose/istracked' in layout 'XRInputV1::Oculus::OculusTouchControllerOpenXR'

In the previous version of OpenXR the controllers worked, the position and rotation was just off but explained by Unity's explanation in the post above. I checked using the SteamVR runtime and same thing happens.

wm-VR likes this.
  3. FishStickies94

FishStickies94

So with OpenXR on Quest, how do we set the framerate?

edit: 1.2 has really wrong offsets for the Oculus Touch Controllers. They were spot on with 1.1 so will have to rollback until you have fixed them.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  4. dgallego

dgallego

Are OpenXR and Quest / 2 hand tracking working today? We're planning to move to OpenXR as soon as possible if theses features are available in the next few weeks

5. emrys90

emrys90

I'm having a slight controller position discrepancy with Oculus Quest controllers on Oculus Link when running on Oculus vs Steam as the default OpenXR provider. They seem identical in position/rotation between the two, except they are slightly off on the z axis position by a finger joint or two.

How can I resolve this, or do I need to wait on some OpenXR update to fix it?

6. emrys90

emrys90

Also, I don't have any controller input in a standalone Windows 64 build. In editor it works fine. This is for an Oculus Quest 1 over Oculus Link. Anyone have any ideas on why that would be?

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  7. alloystorm

alloystorm

It can't be just me but I couldn't find anyone else reporting the audio output issue apart from another post in this forum back in Feb with 0 response.

The audio output is channelled to the computer rather than the headset in both Oculus & SteamVR runtimes, which suggest that the problem might be in the OpenXR plugin itself. The only workaround is to set the audio output to the headset in the windows mixer, which isn't really nice to ask your players to do every time...

Are you guys experiencing the same? Or am I missing something?

Also another less annoying issue is that the VR doesn't seem to start at all when leaving it at default. I had to use the OXRS workaround to set runtime json path to reliably get VR to start properly.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  8. dpcactus

dpcactus

I found that there is a different default position (not 0,0,0) on Oculus Touch Controller when using OpenXR with SteamVR and SteamVR beta. Is that intentionally?
    Is there any way to get the used SteamVR Version so I can apply different offsets via code when I use OpenXR?

9. alloystorm

alloystorm

I created a new project with the URP sample scene, added OpenXR plugin and a loop sound in the scene, nothing else. And experienced exactly the same issue. Audio is not heard unless changing the audio output to the headset from the windows audio mixer. And the warning sound that reports my controller battery low is heard without problem, only the game audio is not there. Both Oculus & SteamVR runtime have the same issue.

To look at it positively, it's good to know that it's not a problem with my project...

But I still can't believe such an obvious issue not getting picked up within a few months... Or is it some thing wrong with my system then? The above is tested with Oculus Quest 2 on Air Link. Unity 2021.1.5f1 + OpenXR plugin 1.1.1

Please can someone from Unity repeat what I did and confirm if this is also happening to you?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  10. manuelgoellnitz

manuelgoellnitz

Since when is "- In Window -> Analysis -> Input Debugger, is "Lock input to game view" enabled?" required?
    I added VR support to our project 1 week ago and everything worked.
    Then today i tried it again and this error appeared:
    "Lock Input to Game View in order for tracked pose driver to work in editor playmode."
    With no explanation what that means. It is not mentioned in the documentation.
    If I had not fount this post I would have never found it.

11. FishStickies94

FishStickies94

Can a dev please provide an update on this rediculous offset sitatuion with OpenXR.
    Pre - 1.1 Oculus controllers badly offset.
    1.1 - Oculus controllers now spot on
    1.2 - Oculus controllers offset again

I don't want to fix these offsets (which I will have to do on every controller type) for the devs to just changing everything again and redo them.

12. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

Did you read this post? #291

13. FishStickies94

FishStickies94

I did read that, however it doesn't changed the fact that what was once fixed, is now broken again. If it's going to stay like this, then fine I'll add the offsets to fix them myself however ifit would be good to get warning if they are going to mess with this futher. It's just annoying that it was spot on and now it's off by some arbitrary amount.

14. dpcactus

dpcactus

Have you checked if SteamVR beta is causing this? When I went back to the normal SteamVR branch, this issue was solved (for now)

15. emrys90

emrys90

I'm having this same issue. SteamVR just updated to a new version, 1.17.12, and I'm not on the beta. Now my controller positions are screwed up when they were correct before with being similar to Oculus positions. Now it's a rotation offset that is different from the normal. My understanding is OpenXR is supposed to report the positions in a similar way to get rid of all this weird offset issues.

16. dpcactus

dpcactus

Yep, I went around it by making a custom offset when Oculus Controllers are connected. It's not 100% in the center but at least it works... for now...
    With SteamVR 1.16.x there wasn't any issues. Funny enough, that in the SteamVR 1.17 release notes it reads "Match Oculus grip and aim poses for touch controllers".

17. emrys90

emrys90

I bet they fixed it for OpenVR, which broke it for OpenXR.

18. dpcactus

dpcactus

Well, then why does work fine when I use OpenXR though Oculus insteadt of OpenVR?

19. emrys90

emrys90

My guess is there's logic in SteamVR that they fixed a rotation offset that affected OpenVR, but unintentionally it affected the OpenXR implementation when ran through SteamVR. This is just a guess on my part, I am not affiliated with Steam, I just hope it gets fixed soon.

20. FishStickies94

FishStickies94

This is with the Oculus OpenXR runtime.

EDIT: There is an offset different between Oculus Controllers on the SteamVR runtime and the OpenXR runtime....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  21. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

I've just switched to OpenXR, but it seems like the haptics still aren't working. I can't get them work with this workaround either. I'm on 2020.3, using the OpenXR 1.1.1 package. Can anyone weigh in who got the haptics to work?

22. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

With 1.1.1 or 1.2.1 you should not need the workaround. What device are you using?

23. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

Updated to 1.2.2, tried on both the Knucles and the Quest 2's Touch controllers, with both device.SendHapticImpulse() and SendHapticImpulseCommand.Create() + device.ExecuteCommand().

24. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

Can you post the entire code? Haptics should work without issue in 1.2.2 so likely there is something just missing.

25. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

Code (csharp):
    1. var command = UnityEngine.InputSystem.XR.Haptics.SendHapticImpulseCommand.Create(0, Amplitude, Duration);
    2. InputSystem.GetDevice(CommonUsages.RightHand)?.ExecuteCommand(ref command);
    Code (csharp):
    1. controller.SendHapticImpulse(Amplitude, Duration);

26. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

Is it finding the device and what are your amplitude and duration set to? I assume that ExecuteCommand is getting called as well.

27. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

Yes, it is called. I've tried both at 1, I've even tried the amplitude up to 50 in case it's not a normalized scale (I've not found any mention of what these functions actually expect in the documentation).

28. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

The amplitude is per device so there is not really a generalized expectation, but for OpenXR it is between 0 and 1. I am not sure why the haptics are not working for you, would you be willing to share me a project in a private message to try out? Have you tried the controller sample that you can install from PackageManager -> OpenXR -> Samples -> Controller Sample to see if the haptic fires when you press the trigger?

29. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

When I try to run that sample, all I get is a long list of null reference exceptions related to the input actions not being able to bind properly. Not entirely sure what is going on.

upload_2021-6-8_17-39-52.png

30. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

What version of unity are you using?

31. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

2020.3. Those first two errors I also get in my own scenes (always 17 iterations). They seem to be of no real consequence, since the controllers do track fine.

32. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

Can you try something (if you havent already). Start a new 3D project, install OpenXR package, enable it and fix any validator issues, and set up which ever controller profiles you need. Then install the controller sample and run it, does that work?

33. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

Just tested it in a clean project, and there it does work, without any of the errors. Could it be somehow related that my project was updated from 2019.4?

34. EdEddnEddy

EdEddnEddy

35. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

Which runtime are you using? Also can PM me your editor.log file or player.log if running standalone?

36. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

It is possible. I am able to reproduce it locally by changing code in play mode in 1.2.2 and it does not happen in 1.1.1. We suspect a bug we fixed that was causing the device layouts to no be registered and thus not show up in the InputSystem binding dialog may be causing this issue. It does seem to be benign but it should not happen, we will continue to investigate it further.

37. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

Unity must be in a good mood today, because I'm no longer getting the errors within my project, and it's not crashing every five minutes. The haptics in the OpenXR sample now worked, and using that code (XRControllerWithRumble.SendImpulse()), I have my haptics back!

the_real_apoxol likes this.
  38. DominiqueSandoz

DominiqueSandoz

We are also suffering from the ~45deg up-rotated poses. We are using Oculus Touch controllers, and observing with OpenXR 1.2.2 and xr interaction toolkit 1.0.0pre4:

- using Oculus OpenXR runtime: all good, ray is aligned with aiming of controller

Debug View shows, that pointer Rotation and device Rotation are different:
    Screenshot 2021-06-09 163122-oculus.png

The OpenXR ControllerSample shows that aim and grip poses are different (how it should be, off by that good 45degrees):
    Screenshot 2021-06-09 162913-oculus.png

- using SteamVR OpenXR runtime (SteamVR 1.17.12): no good, laser's are rotated ~45deg up (if based on pointer direction)

Debug View shows, that pointer rotation and device rotation are equal:
    Screenshot 2021-06-09 163218-steam.png

The ControllerSample shows, that aim and grip pose are identical (no nice offset of 45deg):
    Screenshot 2021-06-09 162252-oculus.png

Is this only us or are others having the same?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  39. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

I was seeing the same thing with the most recent beta yesterday and reported it to valve. Do you know which version of SteamVR you are using?

40. DominiqueSandoz

DominiqueSandoz

That's SteamVR 1.17.12, i'll add it to my post

41. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

Ok we did get other reports that they were having issues with .12 but I have only seen it on the beta. I will try it again to see if I can make it happen.

42. EdEddnEddy

EdEddnEddy

Re-tested again and the issue is gone, sorry for the trouble. Turns out I had not enabled OpenXR as I was switching between branches.
    upload_2021-6-9_18-17-35.png

the_real_apoxol likes this.
  43. jamie_xr

jamie_xr

I have noticed lots of issues with oculus touch controllers and different behaviours depending on which device, We have Quest 1 & 2 via oculus link, then different behaviour on a rift and different on a rift S. This is on the latest SteamVR beta and OpenXR plugin 1.2.2

Quest 1 & 2 seem fine.
    Rift S we see the right hand is fine, the left hand is incorrectly positions and the grip/aim pose are the same
    Original Rift, we see both hands are incorrect (same issue as Rift S left hand)

Additionally there seems to be different offsets on different runtimes. Oculus vs SteamVR runtime are different. We are gonna publish to steam and enforce SteamVR runtime, which is a bit of a workaround, but isn't the idea that it will work on any runtime in the same way. This is supposed to be production ready right? I don't see how anybody could release a game using this tech stack right now.

I realise a lot of these issues lie with SteamVr. Is there a decent channel to report these issues directly to them and track their progress? The steam bug report system through their forums is the only way I know of but that feels more user facing, rather than developer/api facing.

44. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

Valve is actively looking into and resolving the Quest controller pose issues, I would imagine a beta fix will be out soon.

45. jamie_xr

jamie_xr

Great, that sounds good. @DominiqueSandoz. It's not only you having this issue.

We tweaked all our controller offsets for each device to try and provide a consistent experience across devices. As many others will have done, and as many other reported that in a recent beta, those poses changed. They decided that this new pose is now correct. It appears they only "Fixed" it for specific devices.

For clarify and thoroughness, I tested all the oculus devices (Quest 1&2, Rift & Rift S) using the latest beta (1.17.16 edit: I noticed they just released a new one, although patch notes do not indicate any further fixes for this) and OpenXR plugin 1.2.2.

All screenshots are taken with hands in a relaxed natural position (aiming forward to the horizon, my head looks at them from ~45 degrees yaw)

Oculus Rift S
    Left: Left hand, grip pose and aim pose are identical and incorrect. Fix has not been applied
    Right: The fix has been applied

Oculus Rift
    Both Hands
    : Grip pose and aim pose are identical and incorrect. Fix has not been applied

Oculus Quest 1 (via Oculus Link)
    Both Hands: Grip pose and aim pose are identical and incorrect. Fix has not been applied

Oculus Quest 2 (via Oculus Link)
    Both Hands: Grip pose and aim pose are identical and incorrect. Fix has not been applied

46. AndreasWang

AndreasWang

I'm experiencing some discrepancies between the Oculus and SteamVR OpenXR runtimes that are causing a fair amount of headaches in the process of porting an application to the OpenXR plugin.

The first of these is that when using the Oculus OpenXR runtime it seems like all cameras in Unity stop rendering unless the user is considered as present (i.e. having the HMD on the user's head). The game loop still runs fine in the background though, its just rendering that seems to stop. With the SteamVR OpenXR runtime, this never happens and everything seems normal when the HMD is idle. The render pausing is rather problematic as we have cases where we want the user to interact with UI on the desktop for a short period of time.

A similar issue happens whenever we try to make use of InputDevices.GetDeviceAtXRNode(XRNode.Head). The isValid property of the output is always true in the SteamVR OpenXR runtime while on the Oculus one, it is only true if the user is considered present.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var head = InputDevices.GetDeviceAtXRNode(XRNode.Head);
    2. Debug.Log(head.isValid); // Always true with SteamVR OpenXR runtime, Only true in Oculus OpenXR runtime if HMD considers user to be present
    I've been testing this with an Oculus Rift S so I dont know if it works any different for other HMDs, but some of these differences are pretty fundamental (especially the rendering pausing bits!). Has anyone experienced similar issues or found workarounds for preventing rendering from stopping when there is no user presence?

47. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

The issue already starts in the editor - until the headset is properly initialized, the game view is just entirely black, even in a scene with no cameras rendering to the headset.

48. FishStickies94

FishStickies94

It would be great if Unity could stop messing with all the offsets, it's honestly driving me insane.

I updated the latest LTS and OpenXR plugin (1.2.2) and now in OpenXR Oculus Runtime the controllers are completely offset both positionally and rotationally. I tried an old build from previous LTS w/ OpenXr (1.2) just to make sure it wasn't an Oculus update and nope, everything is as it should be. Hop back into the updated build and controllers completely offset. I tried updating to the latest OpenXR but it made no difference, now in Unity Oculus controllers are completely offset even in the Oculus OpenXR runtime.

OpenXR needs to be put back into preview till it doesn't break every single time something change.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  49. michagree

michagree

I use Unity 2020.3.11, Oculus XR Plugin 1.9.1, OpenXR Plugin 1.2.2, XR Interaction Toolkit 1.0.0-pre.4 and XR Plugin Management 4.0.6.
    I get the following error messages when testing with Oculus Quest:

Could not recreate input device 'Oculus Oculus Touch Controller OpenXR (XRInputV1)' with layout 'OculusTouchController' and variants 'Default' after domain reload
    UnityEngine.InputSystem.LowLevel.NativeInputRuntime/<>c__DisplayClass7_0:<set_onUpdate>b__0 (UnityEngineInternal.Input.NativeInputUpdateType,UnityEngineInternal.Input.NativeInputEventBuffer*)
    UnityEngineInternal.Input.NativeInputSystem:NotifyUpdate (UnityEngineInternal.Input.NativeInputUpdateType,intptr)
    UnityEditor.EditorAssemblies:processInitializeOnLoadAttributes (System.Type[])

and

InvalidOperationException: Cannot find parent 'devicepose' of control 'devicepose/istracked' in layout 'XRInputV1::Oculus::OculusTouchControllerOpenXR'
    UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceBuilder.InsertChildControl (UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputControlLayout layout, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString variant, UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputControl parent, System.Boolean& haveChildrenUsingStateFromOtherControls, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputControlLayout+ControlItem& controlItem) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.2/InputSystem/Devices/InputDeviceBuilder.cs:557)
    UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceBuilder.AddChildControlIfMissing (UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputControlLayout layout, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString variants, UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputControl parent, System.Boolean& haveChildrenUsingStateFromOtherControls, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputControlLayout+ControlItem& controlItem) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.2/InputSystem/Devices/InputDeviceBuilder.cs:508)
    UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceBuilder.AddChildControls (UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputControlLayout layout, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString variants, UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputControl parent, System.Boolean& haveChildrenUsingStateFromOtherControls) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.2/InputSystem/Devices/InputDeviceBuilder.cs:337)
    UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceBuilder.InstantiateLayout (UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputControlLayout layout, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString variants, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString name, UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputControl parent) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.2/InputSystem/Devices/InputDeviceBuilder.cs:193)
    UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceBuilder.InstantiateLayout (UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString layout, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString variants, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString name, UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputControl parent) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.2/InputSystem/Devices/InputDeviceBuilder.cs:102)
    UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceBuilder.Setup (UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString layout, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString variants, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceDescription deviceDescription) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.2/InputSystem/Devices/InputDeviceBuilder.cs:51)
    UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputDevice.Build[TDevice] (System.String layoutName, System.String layoutVariants, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceDescription deviceDescription) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.2/InputSystem/Devices/InputDevice.cs:678)
    UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputManager.AddDevice (UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString layout, System.Int32 deviceId, System.String deviceName, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceDescription deviceDescription, UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputDevice+DeviceFlags deviceFlags, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString variants) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.2/InputSystem/InputManager.cs:1033)
    UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputManager.RestoreDeviceFromSavedState (UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputManager+DeviceState& deviceState, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString layout) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.2/InputSystem/InputManager.cs:3420)
    UnityEngine.InputSystem.LowLevel.<>c__DisplayClass7_0:<set_onUpdate>b__0(NativeInputUpdateType, NativeInputEventBuffer*)
    UnityEngineInternal.Input.NativeInputSystem:NotifyUpdate(NativeInputUpdateType, IntPtr)
    UnityEngineInternal.Input.NativeInputSystem:Update(NativeInputUpdateType)
    UnityEditor.EditorAssemblies:processInitializeOnLoadAttributes(Type[])

Is there a fix for this?

50. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

There is nothing in 1.2.2 that should have changed any offsets as those offsets are handled by the runtime not Unity. However I will look into why you are seeing a difference between 1.2.0 and 1.2.2 right now and see if there is something we can fix on our end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.