Search Unity

Unity suddenly sluggish on MacBook Pro (2010)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Nic-Cusworth, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Nic-Cusworth

Nic-Cusworth

I have a bad feeling my Mac is on it's way out - but before I panic buy a new one has anyone had any issues recently with Unity and their MacBook Pro?

It's running okay when I set the video card to the Intel Integrated but running on the Nvidia it is immediately unresponsive (even on an empty scene) and I have to force quit the app.

Just wondering if it's something to do with a system update/unity update or my ageing Mac didn't like the journey from Singapore to London :(

BTW - so far everything else seems fine and games built in Unity run fine.

2. Jaimi

Jaimi

There have been some complaints of speed with Unity 4.1 and the latest firmware update. I'm hesitant to update since I read this thread:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/174671-Unity-constantly-freezes-since-the-update-to-4-1

3. Cecilie

Cecilie

Unity Technologies

Yes, there are some profiler related issues to certain graphic cards on osx:

-NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory on 2.4GHz and 2.53GHz configurations; or 512MB of GDDR3 memory on 2.66GHz configuration
    - Intel HD Graphics with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory5

We've sent a ticket to apple to please fix the issue but when or if this will happen we cannot say.

4. Nic-Cusworth

Nic-Cusworth

Following the thread from Jaimi it made me realise it wasn't my Mac :) I deleted all the unity files in the library/preferences and deleted unity and installed again. It fixed the issues I was having and things seem okay at the moment. Will report in if things deteriorate.

Thanks for the help!

5. Jaimi

Jaimi

Thanks - looks like that won't affect me then, I'll download and install the update (If my OCZ vector ever comes back to life, that is)

6. Cecilie

Cecilie

Unity Technologies

I've recently learned that another user had the profiler issue with the following graphic card as well: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT