Search Unity

Unity Studios new Demo.

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by holmeren, Apr 27, 2010.

1. holmeren

holmeren

Hi folks

Im please to share this video showing our recent work.
    The videos shows an MMO prototype developed by US (Unity Studios) for Scalify Pty Ltd. The demo is built on top of Scalify's Badumna Network Suite.
    All art asset, code and sound was made by US.

Hope you like it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56kSBMiCK3Q

2. TwiiK

TwiiK

Looks excellent.

I guess you can make WoW with Unity. This is bound to clog your inboxes with "I saw your demo and it's exactly what I want to make, plix help" messages. :)

Is that two people playing simultaneously? Kind of hard to tell because only one seems to be active at a time. :)

3. kondrup

kondrup

Very nice artwork. I think all the different colors and effects creates a nice atmosphere in the game. Well done!

How long did it take you guys to get this far?

4. Filto

Filto

Very nice. Good work! But lay of that blue troll, how many times to you have to kill the poor bastard :cry:

5. WebWolfRussian

WebWolfRussian

very cool
    I hope that we in the future will receive a lesson Metal Cavalry or this ... how car tutorial.

6. crockett

crockett

Nice work, and looks great for just 3 people. Just shows that a small team can make a nice game given the time and tools.

As far as this demo goes is it just a tech demo so to speak or will it be used as part of a tutorial in the future?

7. holmeren

holmeren

thanks people
    :D
    Its a demo not going to be a tutorial.
    It took 3 guys 3 months with some on and off.

Great project and a great customer.... and a great development tool ;)

8. expressionforge

expressionforge

We like it, too.
    Will the project files be avaiable to see how the Badumna Network Suite works?
    Or some Scripts?

9. Discord

Discord

Very cool! How many players can it handle at a time?

10. half_voxel

half_voxel

Looks good!

I also wonder about the number of players.

11. DarkSoul

DarkSoul

Good works!, it's very cool!

12. Ethan

Ethan

Looks like a solid base, but i didnt see the massive thing from MMO anywhere?

At the moment it looks like a RPG prototype ;)

13. Cyril

Cyril

Nice Work!
    -some animation needs a rework.
    just compare it with r/l motions :wink:
    that guy with the shield... if he is slaying hes sword
    he should take a combat state left foot in fron right foot in back .... something like this

14. perversonality

perversonality

For those asking for Unity examples, the documentation on the Badumna site has a section on their Unity plugin and takes you through how to set up multiplayer games, including example projects and coding guides

http://www.badumna.com/badumna/documentation.html

Looks like it could be pretty awesome, but there's no pricing guide yet and the free download "only" supports 200 users

15. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Wow, this is amazing.

16. Fishypants

Fishypants

Wow, I want to play this! Would love some examples of the coding that went into it. Great job!

17. -Bol3D-

-Bol3D-

WOW!!! yes.. exactly

even the music is a little WoW

That said.. WOW! awesome work!! :D very impressed

18. FunnyRobot

FunnyRobot

I'd really love to know what kind of price tag is on this system. Also someone in the comments to that youtube video mentions that it's being integrated into Unity, but I imagine it's some kind of misunderstanding. Which makes me sad because that would be amazing.

19. dart

dart

The animation of the enemies needs some work, but the rest is really good. Are you using only Unity API for the network handling?

Good job. Just tell if you need testers :D

20. Dreamora

Dreamora

This is the Badumna Demo game, so its close to granted that only Badumna is used for networking at all

21. DavidB

DavidB

Forgive me if I overlooked some info on the website...

(Firstly, amazing product, this looks really slick).

I just had a quick question regarding the actual technology behind it....

It appears to operate off of a P2P system (which is really cool), but how is cheating avoided? Can it be avoided? I'm assuming only non-essential systems are delivered via P2P (such as chat), but the site does mention state synchronization as well... would this not be a more sensitive system that could allow users to mask themselves, or make themselves appear in different locations, have different names etc?

Great job, the tech looks really slick though. I'd love to see some benchmark data regarding how many players you can pack together on a single shard.

Well done!

22. duke

duke

It's neat, but it would be good to show off more capabilities. From what that shows, it's good for a small mob of trolls and 2 players.

23. FunnyRobot

FunnyRobot

I've been thinking a lot lately about how cheating can be prevented in p2p system, so I also wonder about how they go about it. They mention arbitrage server that resolves interactions between players, and I'm a bit worried if this would be a choke point for this system.

Myself I've been thinking about selecting a few unrelated peers to check on situation in a certain zone and then compare their world-states formed on the basis of inputs they got from players in that zone, by exchanging hashes of world-state data. Then we could be sure no-one is cheating as long as there's at least one non-corrupted peer among a few randomly selected from the network.

Another thing I'm worried about is amount of data each player has to send out. Without central server everyone will have to send their updates to all other players within visibility range, and with a lot of players that can add up to a lot. Might be not a problem for broadband users, but it will be for those on ADSL.

Anyway, I'm excited about this technology and can't wait to see more data.

24. peshwa_prince

peshwa_prince

Hi all, I am from team Badumna and even I am excited about the game. The guys at Unity Studios have done a great job for us. All those dying to play the game don't have to wait too long. We are in the final testing phase and the game will be out very soon.

To technology section on the website will answer most of your questions regarding the technology: http://www.badumna.com/badumna/technology.html

25. TastyPoisonGames

TastyPoisonGames

I checked out the you-tube video...and wow looks very cool indeed!!

I am not going to crit atall, just simply say great job..keep it up

2 artists and 1 programmer...u mind me asking how long the project has been taking with a small team of 2 and 1?

Keep well, and good luck for the final stages of development and testing

26. Fishypants

Fishypants