Search Unity

Unity Student Plan for Commercial Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HunGARE, Mar 8, 2020.

1. HunGARE

HunGARE

Hi.

I am a college student who is super excited about the Unity Student Plan! However, I am concerned about the terms of use.

If I use Unity for classes, and in addition create commercial games that I distribute/sell outside of school, would the Unity Student Plan still be allowed for both uses? I emailed someone at Unity and she was helpful in saying that it essentially works like the free plan, where you only need to upgrade to Plus once you reach $100k revenue per year. I just wanted to get another opinion just to be sure. Thank you!

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

edit: (This is outdated info, see later comments)

You should ask this question to Unity support instead of the forum. Though I don't see anything in the TOS for the Student license which restrict commercial use. You could easily though just get an additional Unity Personal license and switch between the two as needed if you were concerned. Unity Pro has hardly anything today which is not included in Unity Personal. The two primary features of Plus/Pro over Personal is the optional dark editor theme and the ability to disable the Unity splash screen in your builds.

https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    HunGARE likes this.
  3. HunGARE

HunGARE

Thanks for the reply!

4. MileSplit

MileSplit

Hey did unity support get back to you? I dont want to bug them if they already answered it :)

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

edit: (This is outdated info, see later comments)

The Unity software terms of use now includes the following. It was updated a couple days after this thread originated. I would assume this part was added, as I had not seen it prior. But I cannot be 100% sure.

https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Aviryx and Ryiah like this.
  6. anaraliyev1010

anaraliyev1010

Hello,
    I'm a student who have just started learning Unity. I just want to make it clear, if I'm planning to include ads in my game - in that case I should switch from my student plan to either personal/plus/pro type, right?

7. crosline

crosline

Every software that has the ability to gain money is commercial.

Also, the educational license is different than the student plan...

Joe-Censored, angrypenguin and Aviryx like this.
  8. crekri

crekri

It seems like students are free to use the student plan for commercial purposes as long as revenue doesn't exceed $100k. (Basically the same as Unity Personal, from an official Unity tweet)

Also "The “Educational Version” stated in Sec 2.2 refers to Grants that we provides freely to schools and instructors. Student Plan is governed by Sec. 1.3. Basically, unless otherwise stated specially in Sec. 1.3, the same rights and restrictions to Pro apply to the Student Plan."

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity may have tweeted it but it's the license that you agree to follow when you install the software.

10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I think Educational Version and Student Plan are different things.

In any case, mail Unity's legal department and get a clear official answer.

angrypenguin likes this.
  11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Not only have Unity specifically confirmed this, but also the license itself seems to have been clarified on this since last time I looked into it. Back then I don't believe the words "Unity Student Plan" showed up in a search at all, hence confusion with the "Educational Product Restrictions" section. Now both things are named explicitly, and they're pretty clear on this:
    Bold emphasis mine. And by my layman's reading the only restrictions laid out in the rest of that section are about who is eligible for the student plan, ie: verifiable students.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021