Search Unity

Unity Stuck On ProjectBrowser.Repaint After Opening Without Internet Connection Using PlasticSCM

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Phaaze1, Dec 16, 2021.

1. Phaaze1

Phaaze1

Hello, Every time I open Unity after opening it once without an internet connection, the editor gets stuck on ProjectBrowser.Repaint indefinitely and I am unable to access the project.

When I open without an internet connection, it repeatedly asks me to log in but still lets me use Unity briefly before asking again. When I close Unity and reopen after that (once the internet connection is restored), it gets stuck as shown here.

upload_2021-12-16_17-48-15.png

I am using PlasticSCM in the project. I tried deleting the Library folder and reopening Unity to no avail. The way I ultimately fixed it was deleting the entire project folder and re-downloading it from PlasticSCM. Obviously, this should not be happening so I'm posting here to try and figure out why and what I can do to solve it without deleting everything.

Unity version is 2021.2.5f1 Personal and the project is using URP.

facucan likes this.
  2. spicygyro

spicygyro

3. spicygyro

spicygyro

Hey, for what it's worth, I solved this by creating a new project from Unity Hub, adding the PlasticSCM window and log-in in, then opening my other project.

4. TSR_Rajput

TSR_Rajput

Thank you so much for this suggestion. Finally my project is back to life. Thanks again :)

5. Renegade_Wolf

Renegade_Wolf

I'm running into this problem now. This is a big issue.

ericpug likes this.
  6. facucan

facucan

Had the same problem here. Solved it with spicygyro method.

Huge issue. Hope they fix it soon enough.

7. dark_vulcan

dark_vulcan

Same issue, But I am already logged in to Plastic. Now i cant open my project. Damn!

8. TSR_Rajput

TSR_Rajput

I did upgrade my Unity Editor and tried upgrading the project, maybe it works that way. My project is working fine now.

9. Kartoffel_ce

Kartoffel_ce

10. Kartoffel_ce

Kartoffel_ce

I solved it: Loggin alone is not enough, you need also to creat a workspace in the new project.
    Thank you spicygyro.

FenixShadow likes this.
  11. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi everyone! I'm sorry that you've been experiencing this issue. I opened a bug for this Editor hang and passed it along to the dev team. I'll update here when a fix is released.

In the meantime, please continue to use the above workaround until we can release a proper fix.

12. SilverEmber

SilverEmber

What worked for me was opening the SCM application and logging into my plastic from there, then restarting Unity Editor.

13. Nicholas-Dannenberg

Nicholas-Dannenberg

my big project that Ive been working on for months is gone thanks to this

14. codebiscuits

codebiscuits

This worked for me too.
    My internet connection was fine, but I had restored my PC to a backup from a week and a half ago (I'm not sure if I'd changed my plastic password since then) & since the restore, Unity was stuck on ProjectBrowser.Repaint. I think I had a newer version of Unity (2021.2.19f1 instead of 2021.2.18f1 or 17f1) too since the restore.
    Logging into SCM app and then relaunching Unity fixed it for me too.

15. dani7803

dani7803

Thanks spicygyro for the solution. It saved a lot of time of mine along with others having this issue.

Steps, which I tried but failed to solve the issue.
    1- Deleted Library folder and re-opened the project but this did not solved the problem.
    2- Upgraded my project from 2021.2.10 to 2021.3.0 but still issue was there.

Note: Do not upgrade or delete library folder to waste your time, instead us spicygyro's fast workaround till the fix from Unity team.

16. Bakakami

Bakakami

Its worth a whole lot, thank you very much, you saved my bacon :D

17. gliealonso

gliealonso

Worked for me too

18. canerozer44

canerozer44

I couldn't make spicygyro method. I removed VersionControl addon from packed manager and installed Plastic SCM client. Now Unity works normally and when i need to push, i connect my pc to phone internet and push from plastic client.

19. craftsmanbeck

craftsmanbeck

I was getting the issue even with an internet connection, and none of the above solutions worked for me, but what did was manually removing the Collab Proxy entry from the manifest.json file, opening the project, then re-installing the Version Control package

20. rangwath

rangwath

This problem happened when I joined two different Organizations in PlasticSCM. One project from one Organization repo worked fine and the second one was stuck on the mentioned step.

The solution for me was to go to the Plastic Gluon application and try to access the project that caused problems, when I logged into the repo through this app, it fixed it for me also in Unity.

21. Speedomon

Speedomon

You definitely saved a few lives here :)

22. kris_enteryes

kris_enteryes

I had the same issue and I resolved it by copying the project folder to an external drive then opening the project on a different PC with the same editor installed - This obviously this is no help to someone working from one machine, but if you have access to another machine or are part of a team I found it the quickest solution. (I panicked for a minute because I didn't push loads of work to Plastic before shutting down prior to issue).... Good luck

23. nobluff67

nobluff67

This is an absolute embarrassment that this has not been officially fixed yet. How on earth are you supposed to test your code for not having an internet connect, when you cant actually work on your project if you don't have an internet connection and your project hangs?

@Ryan-Unity is this an active bug or has it been place in low priority? This is over 6 months old now.

FYI - 2020.3.36f1, using plastic and testing remote config (which is why I want to test without internet connection)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  24. touly

touly

Same issue here, the new project solution didn't work, so I DL Plastic and log on to my cloud repository and it solved the issue. It should be solved really soon now as I found many solo developers with this issue being stuck in their dev :/

nobluff67 likes this.
  25. Nicholas-Dannenberg

Nicholas-Dannenberg

This is honestly ridiculous, plastic has been such a pain in the ass and causing errors for no reason... downloading the actual app and needing to do extra stuff temporary fixes blocks and errors from your project.

nobluff67 likes this.
  26. mtbbk46

mtbbk46

Trash

AgileSlothStudios likes this.
  27. WeirdBeardDev

WeirdBeardDev

I ran into this problem today and unfortunately spicygyro's fix didn't work as I don't have perms to create a new workspace in Plastic. So I manually updated the package file to point to the latest version control package, which at the time of this writing was 1.15.18 (there are other higher versions, however, this one is the recommended release version).

For those interested, close the project and then:
    1. Open up the main folder for your project
    2. Go to the Packages folder
    3. Open the manifest.json file in a text editor
    4. Find the "com.unity.collab-proxy" line
    5. Change the version number to read "1.15.18" (or the highest recommended version)
    6. Save the file
    7. Open your project
    At this point Unity should update the package as part of the project loading.

nobluff67 likes this.
  28. MonacoUnity

MonacoUnity

Thank for your advised. I fixed by relogin Plastic SCM.

29. avivoren

avivoren

How I fixed the problem.
    1) in your project directory backup the .plastic folder.
    2) delete it
    3) open the project
    4) recover the folder
    5) press save project(it will refresh up the plastic)
    6) do commit
    7) now if you restart the project you won't have the problem.

30. RealHandy

RealHandy

As mentioned by @MonacoUnity, I was able to resolve the problem by this very quick method:
    1. Kill the hung Unity Editor from Task Manager
    2. Open the PlasticSCM Windows app and log back into it
    3. Reopen Unity Editor and everything is fine

31. nobluff67

nobluff67

But if you want to test how your app behaves without internet connection, you are S*** out of luck.

32. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I'm sorry you've had this issue. Please consider using proper industrial-grade enterprise-qualified source control in order to guard and protect your hard-earned work. Plastic is not considered such a thing.

Personally I use git (completely outside of Unity) because it is free and there are tons of tutorials out there to help you set it up as well as free places to host your repo (BitBucket, Github, Gitlab, etc.).

You can also push git repositories to other drives: thumb drives, USB drives, network drives, etc., effectively putting a complete copy of the repository there.

As far as configuring Unity to play nice with git, keep this in mind:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/prefab-links-keep-getting-dumped-on-git-pull.646600/#post-7142306

Here's how I use git in one of my games, Jetpack Kurt:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/2-steps-backwards.965048/#post-6282497

Using fine-grained source control as you work to refine your engineering:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/whe...grammer-example-in-text.1048739/#post-6783740

Share/Sharing source code between projects:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/your-techniques-to-share-code-between-projects.575959/#post-3835837

Setting up an appropriate .gitignore file for Unity3D:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/removing-il2cpp_cache-from-project.1084607/#post-6997067

Generally setting Unity up (includes above .gitignore concepts):

https://thoughtbot.com/blog/how-to-git-with-unity

It is only simple economics that you must expend as much effort into backing it up as you feel the work is worth in the first place. Digital storage is so unbelievably cheap today that you can buy gigabytes of flash drive storage for about the price of a cup of coffee. It's simply ridiculous not to back up.

"Use source control or you will be really sad sooner or later." - StarManta on the Unity3D forum boards

nobluff67 likes this.
  33. Ryaurezh

Ryaurezh

The problem seems to stem from Plastic trying to check for changes but can't connect, and isn't able to update the window. My internet is down at the moment, and I couldn't get in.

What worked for me was to go to the project file, UserSettings\Layouts and delete the .dwlt files, which removed the Plastic window. Was able to open the project immediately.

nobluff67 likes this.
  34. paxron

paxron

Deleting the .dwlt files does work, although doing any code change will activate the file watcher and the Plastic window is automatically opened freezing Unity. Very disappointing effort from Unity/Plastic.

ArtisV likes this.
  35. Blepius

Blepius

Still exists in 2021.3.11f1, reoccurs often when moving files around.

Does anyone have a link to a relevant IssueTracker?

upload_2022-10-10_17-46-34.png

36. Ryaurezh

Ryaurezh

I noticed that too, after my last post. What I did then was after getting into Unity, I disabled Plastic. It's a pain, since it's hard to tell when I'll lose internet, but at least I know how to get around it.

37. Ryaurezh

Ryaurezh

38. nobluff67

nobluff67

Only solution that has worked for me is:

1. Kill unity task.
    2. Wait for internet connect to reestablish (Cant work till then).
    2. Open plastic locally (not through unity), connect.
    3. Open project.

Projectbrowser.repaint should new be gone.

No other solution works for me as the Projectbrowser.repaint prevents you doing anything on the opened project.

39. paxron

paxron

This is the reply I got from plastic service desk a while back on the issue.

The bug is fixed in 1.17.0 version.

I am not sure why our new package version is not showing for this specific editor version even though it is showing fine for other editor versions. You can manually add our latest package (1.17.1) through the package manager menu:

40. NineWends

NineWends

I dont know if paxron said work. Cause every time I open the unity project, plastic SCM tell me to connect to the server with username and passowrd, which I dont know what it is. And when I try to login with UnityID, it poped "an unexpected error occurred" and I can never login even the pulled up web said I have logged in successfully.

41. jbruce1380

jbruce1380

This worked for me. Appreciate it

42. LilGames

LilGames

This worked for me as well. The problem had only started two days ago after accidentally clicking "login with Unity ID" instead of my usual direct to Plastic login. But then after logging in directly again I also updated the Plastic client/server (the windows app, not the Unity package) to a newer release (v 11.0.16.7649 Nov 24). Among the release notes it says:

- Sometimes a dialog could hang the app, this issue is fixed

I don't know if that's at all related.

43. RealHandy

RealHandy

Yep, my fix is only if you are having the problem and _have_ an internet connection.

nobluff67 likes this.
  44. Ksavery

Ksavery

Same thing bru

45. pachermann

pachermann

For me, it worked creating an empty SCM project, open another Project from hub, then i opened the project that was freezing and everything worked again.
    Takes 2min Time, thanks for the solutions!

46. pachermann

pachermann

For me, it worked creating an empty SCM project, open another Project from hub, then I opened the project that was freezing and everything worked again.
    Takes 2 min Time, thanks for the solutions everyone!

Btw, SCM work best for us when we use the client, It's pretty solid and works super!
    We are very happy with SCM @Ryan-Unity

We still avoid using the palette in Unity Editor, then we have no problem except this little issue.

47. georgezes

georgezes

The problem is Plastic, make sure computer is logged in to the internet. if this doesnt work as well, open Plastic app first, login and then open Unity.

ericpug likes this.
  48. Stephen1701

Stephen1701

Thank you, this also helped me.
    I don't know what Plastic's problem was. It randomly asked me to sign in on the affected project, then gave me the white screen when reloading. But its working again for now, thanks.

49. JLauridsen

JLauridsen

Hey all - I tried all the fixes in here and in other posts, but the issue always returns. Through my testing I've found that it's often because of Unity Scene files probably not being in sync. Here are some solutions I've found that are worth a shot if you get stuck on the ProjectBrowser.Repaint loading bar. Also, I'm using Unity 2021.3.3f1 & PlasticSCM 11.0.16.7792.

• Get the owner of the PlasticSCM license, where you host your workspace, to kick you from the group, then re-add you as a member. Delete the C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4 (do a backup) and restart the PlasticSCM client to log in anew to refresh authentification tokens.
    or
    • Delete and re-download the whole project. Make sure to backup local non-committed files.
    or
    • Delete/Cut the scene & its meta-files that you get stuck loading from the Unity project, open the project, then re-add the scene and its meta-files and open it.
    Hope this helps others out there.

50. jalbracht

jalbracht

This is still an issue in July 2023. I only use the in-editor Plastic SCM tab, but I resolved by opening the desktop plastic scm app for once in my life which had a button to grab a newer version. So silly that this bug was passed to the dev team in March 2022. People like me spin their wheels for hours trying to think "what did I do last in my project that utterly broke the editor" before coming to these threads.