Search Unity

Unity stuck at importing while opening the project

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MeeRule, Jun 4, 2022.

1. MeeRule

MeeRule

Hi,
    Im new to unity and trying to learn it.

To replicate the error:
    I installed with default settings and location.
    Then I installed unity editor 2021.3.4f1.
    I created a project named MyProject
    Opening the project gets me stuck at "importing"
    Sometimes stuck at "initial asset database refresh"

Screenshot 2022-06-05 040956.png

Environment:
    os - Windows 11 (Build 22000.675)
    system - Acer nitro 7
    processor - Intel Core i7-9750H 2.60GHz
    gpu - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

install-log.json
    https://pastebin.com/CwwuVaZr

info-log.json
    https://pastebin.com/ZTndpFTv

I tried to provide as much information as I can. If more info is required, pls let me know.
    First time here, sorry if I violate any rules. pls let me know if I do so.

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Not much to go on I‘m afraid. Can only guess. 3 hours is definitely taking too long even for a notebook. Perhaps not enough disk space. Virus scanner interfering (disable temporarily). Maybe try creating a new project using a different project template. And updating drivers.

3. MeeRule

MeeRule

After reading ur comment, I checked and I had plenty space required to run unity. I also tried disabling the windows security (thats the only antivirus I have). I uninstalled unity completely and deleted all files. I reinstalled it and tried to create a new 3d project and got stuck at the same process every time. I tried like 4 times to repeat the process while selecting 3d as the template and it failed everytime. After reading your comment I tried 2d, 2d sample projects etc to no avail.

It gets stuck at some point during the import process again.

Screenshot 2022-06-05 123029.png

I couldnt get it to work in 3 days now so I have decided to not spend too much time on setting up something that I wanted to learn just for fun.

thank you very much for your help

4. SpinTheDaddy

SpinTheDaddy

I love unity but I also F***ing hate it. Im tired of this random importing assets for an hour bullshit.

PyrokidSosa likes this.
  5. Mori_X

Mori_X

Here is the thing: Unity has problems with its local data as soon as you install a newer Unity version in which you want to migrate your project. I just had the same problem with the latest 2022 LTS migration/import. It got stuck. Reading comments about it everywhere, from here to reddit, stackoverflow braught me to one conclusion, which solved the whole thing and my 200GB of assets in this project were imported faster than usual, and I was like 'huh, how? what?'. Tested my scenes and everything works fine!. And I have tons of custom shaders, all kinds of addons, and all the high res meshes, like trees etc and everything was imported faster than usual. Just the whole cache data needs to be generated again, which brings a clean structure managed by the newer system. Ok, so how did I solved the issue? Simple:

Delete the following cache folders:

C:/users/<youruser>/AppData/Roaming/Unity/cache
    C:/users/<youruser>/AppData/Roaming/Unity/Caches
    C:/users/<youruser>/AppData/Local/Unity/cache

and since cleaning is so much fun, this folder too, which is just the GI-cache xD
    C:\Users\/<youruser>\AppData\LocalLow\Unity\Caches\GiCache

Import now! Should work all fine.

Also, before importing: Right click and close all tray icon apps like crappy skype, discord and all the other tools, that prevent importing unity faster, because of their priority calls they constantly make. I have a very clean system, because I take my work and workspace serious. However, I noticed working with the PC, surfing, or whatever, next to import can cause Unity to halt too. But if you clean all the cache folders, start the import again and just watch and meanwhile make yourself a coffee or something, the editor screen will appear faster than you can imagine.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
    CodeSmile likes this.
  6. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

:eek:

Is that just the contents of the Assets tree, or the entire project folder size (that is: including Library folder)?

Have you also tried deleting the Library folder?

I doubt that Skype and Discord will have a noticeable effect, unless you have very high traffic with these. More commonly it's the virus scanner, or any sort of "live scanner" slash "system protection BS" that's slowing things down tremendously.

Also slowdowns can happen of course if you run low on memory, and of course disk access. My browser happens to eat up 2-4 GB all by itself, and if you have 200 gigs worth of assets I sincerely hope you invested in at least 32 GB of RAM and a fast SSD. ;)

7. Mori_X

Mori_X

This already starts as deconstructive new opinion, that just aims away from the main issue. And no, I did not delete any library, else I would've written that, or not? Read about windows idle management processes, which you can even influence with the right tool, especially when they come to a peak, because one software brute forces other idle processes, plus human interventions with other new processes, which can cause Unity to get a short downtime, which in the end breaks Unity's meta management for a split second, so gets stuck.

And no, I am not interested in any more smart a$$ chit chat. Thank you!

Appendix: I brought my solution on two threads asking for the problem, you don't need to ask the same questions on both of my postings! This alone...!