Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity store should update their policy to give money back ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quast, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Quast

Quast

What to do if you pay more than 50$ on add-on that will not work at all on your project ? He mentioned that working on new version of unity but there is no single line inform you that this add-on is NOT supporting LWRP/HDRP !!. And when you messaging him...you just hitting your head with a rock. Why there is no protection for the customer here ? If the information on the page is not matching the function of the add-on in unityEngine, it should at less remove it from the store. Giving unclear information for the customer must be faced with something from unity devs. What if I published a model with 10$ and you as a buyer found that it only work on unity pro version !!! Is there serious steps you guys will take for these issues ?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity already allows refunds if the asset's functionality is misrepresented.

As for no information that SRP is NOT supported, you should be looking for confirmation that SRP is supported since it is brand new. If an asset doesn't confirm SRP support, then you should assume it does not. LWRP only exited "preview" state in 2019.1, and HDRP still is in preview.

The same goes for all experimental, preview, or just released features. ECS/DOTS for example, you should assume every code asset which does not specifically state it supports ECS/DOTS that it does not have such support.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Ryiah, SparrowGS, Socrates and 3 others like this.
  3. Vryken

Vryken

Unless the asset in question here explicitly states that it does work with LWRP and/or HDRP, shouldn't it be implied that it may not support alpha/beta features of Unity? LWRP and HDRP are not fully released yet.

That's not possible as Unity Engine has the same features & functions regardless of what subscription you have.

May we see the asset you're referring to?

xVergilx and Joe-Censored like this.
  4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Contact the store support if you believe the asset is misrepresented. But as @Joe-Censored noted above, preview and beta features are not expected to be supported. It also very much depends on what the asset is.

Ryiah and Joe-Censored like this.
  5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Its funny because all assets released by Unity are HDRP :p

6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

While refunds are already offered, I doubt you would get a refund for this as you have basically not done research yourself before comitting to a $50 purchase. SRP is new, you should be checking if it is supported not expecting it to be by default. Literally only half of SRP is out of preview, its still in development.

7. Quast

Quast

I'm not talking here about experimental or preview. Information is not clear because it says support 2018 and higher version of unity. If there is a tag,head line or icone tells us about LWRP/HDRP will be clear and obvious. Let us say it, Money is gone. No need to let other customer do what I did. It's my mistake..OK. Now there are many asset there not mentioning this point "SRP" may other people do the same thing. Now, LWRP stander released. If I have unity 2030 version I have to check again if this asset support LWRP or not !!! I have to keep searching for SRP letters even if writing on front page it's supporting 2030 / 2040 ver or higher !!
    ....Thank you.
    ....you right. thank you.
    Good news.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Yes you are. HDRP is a "preview" feature in the latest version of Unity.

But "2018 or higher" should have been your clue right there. LWRP became officially supported in 2019.1. There is no version of 2018 with LWRP in anything better than a preview state.

Asset vendors don't often create assets for preview or experimental features, because the API's are subject to change at any time before their official release. This causes big headaches later trying to support both the preview/experimental version of an API and the official version of the API with the same code.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Socrates likes this.
  9. Quast

Quast

Now, LWRP stander released. If I have unity 2030 version I have to check again if this asset support LWRP or not !!! I have to keep searching for "SRP" letters even if writing on front page it's supporting 2030 / 2040 ver or higher !!

P.S. I was editing my reply when you respond.

10. Yes, you need to look for the "magic words" or ask the publisher. From now on, three separate render-pipeline will be available. You cannot be sure what asset support what pipeline. At this point in time you probably safe to think that the original built-in is supported but after a while it won't be that simple. You always need to read through the description and ask questions if you don't find anything about what you're looking for. Do not assume any asset supports anything you think it does.

SparrowGS likes this.
  11. BennyTan

BennyTan

Just curious, what about when i buy an asset and 1 month later it gets deprecated, with a new paid version without warning. This happened like just a few months back and really sucked as i bought it and did not use it, then when i tried to use it a month later, it was deprecated.

When I message the author, the answer i get is to use the old deprecated version which is what i paid for or pay an upgrade fee. To add oil to fire, the discounted price of the new version (it was on sale) was CHEAPER then the price of the old version. So not only was i paying more for the old version, I was asked to pay an upgrade fee on top of that.

If i knew the new version was coming out, I would never have bought the old version... needles to say, I'm black marking this asset store developer and never getting anything from him again.

Velo222 likes this.
  12. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Depending on what's happening with the deprecated version that might be fine. If they're still supporting it but they just aren't updating it with new features then I think it's cool. On the flip side, if their support will just be telling people to upgrade if they run into (legitimate) issues then that's not really cool.

13. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Separately, I have in the past received a refund for something which got deprecated shortly after my purchase. However, the underlying issue wasn't the deprecation, it was the lack of support for an asset that clearly had issues.

14. Quast

Quast

After what happen to me, of cause I will do all what you said. There are people like me out there do the same mistake. Losing their money on things they think is working with LWRP/HDRP. Take a look at first review for this shader
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/flat-kit-cel-toon-shading-143368
    What I'm saying, putting something notable like an icon or tag inform the buyer if this asset working on LWRP/HDRP will be great and helpful for us instead of looking for letters or sending message to publisher.

Velo222 likes this.
  15. kdgalla

kdgalla

Have you contacted the author of the Asset that you bought to see if they have plans for the future? Most assets don't support SRP now, but I think that most authors who actively support shader products will eventually consider porting them to LWRP as time goes by.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Take them to court under your local consumer protection laws.

Companies don't give refunds out of the goodness of their hearts. They give refunds because they are compelled to by consumer law.

Digital goods companies are in particular notorious for flouting consumer law. Steam only offers refunds because they got taken to court in Australia.

17. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you think getting $50 back is worth probably getting blocked from the Asset Store permanently.

xVergilx likes this.
  18. Mauri

Mauri

To be fair, there would have been numerous possible ways to contact the developer of this asset.

Their online manual also says:
    Sure, it would be nice to provide this information right in the asset description (or even the main asset image), but it's not like the dev didn't "warn" potential buyers at all. Just be more careful next time.

19. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That's not how it would go down. At least not if we examine the Steam case. Reprisals against customers for enforcing their legal consumer rights can get companies big fines.

20. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That does assume that there's scope for enforcement of local consumer laws, though. With Steam that was already happening.

21. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I'm not actually convinced any laws have been broken. I'm not aware of any country that requires a refund because the customer did not read the details of what they were purchasing.

Joe-Censored and angrypenguin like this.
  22. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I'm having issues wiht this same asset package:
    Flat Kit: Cel / Toon Shading

It is not working at all on any version of unity and I cannot get a return message from support. Anybody know how to get in touch with these guys? Shouldn't have to wait three days right? Is it a holiday somewhere?

23. Antypodish

Antypodish

Someone may be on holiday. 3 day is not ideal, but isn't bad either, specially if asset is not as popular.