Search Unity

Unity Stock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlanMattano, May 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbritton

pbritton

I don't know how much of an overhead there would be but relying almost solely on subscription revenue per seat seems very limiting. Are they making more money from studios like miHoYo (Genshin Impact) from subscriptions than they would with royalties?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Gambling is more than just having the potential to lose something of value. The definition of gambling requires that the "game" being played is one largely based on chance rather than skill. Investing in the stock market can be that if you treat it that way but it likewise can be one largely of skill and knowledge.

Furthermore with gambling there is no way to recover what you have lost aside from more gambling. With the stock market there are various paths available to you such as selling off the assets before losses become great or waiting for said assets to recover their value.

In this case the stock has reached a record low. Since Unity continues to operate normally though it's reasonable to conclude that it won't stay that way forever though it may take a while before it truly recovers.

If investing in a single company is too risky there are ways to invest in the stock market with very little risk. The S&P 500 is a stock market index that tracks the performance of 500 large companies. For it to fail the entire economy would have to fail too.

Aside from missed opportunities due to having funds invested in it the only downside is that it has a very low return for that very low risk. On average it's only 2%. Meanwhile if Unity's stock returns to it's previous averages it will be tripling my investment. If I were to pull out right now I would have already made about 9% in just a few days.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    AlanMattano and Antypodish like this.
  3. Frienbert

Frienbert

Did you not have Unity stock before it crashed?

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. If I were going to go long term in the stock market I would do so through ETFs not individual stocks. Prior to all of this happening my funds were being used to liquidity mine through CakeDefi. At the time I started my return was around 120% annually but it has since dropped to around 50%. Between that and the current state of crypto it was time to withdraw from there. Unity's stock has a far greater return with far less risk.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  5. frosted

frosted

Almost all serious gambling is skill driven.

Poker, horse races, sports betting.

The difference between gambling and investing is generally the expected long term returns. If they're positive then its considered investing, if its zero or negative its gambling.

For example, skilled blackjack players (card counters) have a history of getting outside investment and running groups that are more or less businesses. This is because, when played with enough skill, your expected returns with blackjack are positive.

Poker will always be gambling at core, because at best its a zero sum game, and at worst there's a rake pushing the expected returns negative. A skilled poker player will win more than they lose, but the game itself will always be zero sum or slightly worse with the rake.

JoNax97 and Martin_H like this.
  6. Martin_H

Martin_H

Any recommendations, or rather what would you pick right now?

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

The S&P 500. It's the one I am most familiar with and have watched the longest. It's currently in a dip due to the current state of the economy but it's always had good stability and recovers quickly. It also doesn't dip very far from where it normally sits.

stain2319 likes this.
  8. lmbarns

lmbarns

SPY (s&p 500), QQQ (tech), and not an ETF but MSCI (runs/manages many etfs). Everything is down right now but over time they've done really well. I'd wait for a clear bottom there could be more downside.

9. stain2319

stain2319

An index fund like FSKAX or VXUS is (literally) hard to beat.

10. Martin_H

Martin_H

Are you not worried about the ethics of investing into those companies? S&P500 includes manufacturers of tobaco, nukes, and the weapon category under which landmines, clusterbombs etc. fall. I checked, the German iShares site lists percentages for those. MSCI World SRI excludes companies that deal with these and picks companies with some "best in class" metric in terms of how evil they are, so there's no apple, facebook, adobe etc. included. If I remember correctly the one I invested in was "iShares MSCI World SRI - EUR ACC" (ISIN: IE00BYX2JD69). I wonder whether they would choose Unity or Unreal based on their decision process...

I do admit though, the war against Ukraine is making me reconsider my position on investing in military companies (in terms of ethics). I just had a look at the Rheinmetall stock and damn... should have bought some before the war broke out.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

No, but then I'm not directly investing in them either nor am I investing with the purpose of bolstering them.

Keep in mind too that just because a company isn't doing any of that doesn't mean they're ethical, and even if I were to try to make an extremely thorough analysis of a company before investing in them there will always be things that I would miss or not occur to me to check.

In fact Unity is a great example here as they are currently being investigated on behalf of shareholders.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220513005464/en/

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    Martin_H and AlanMattano like this.
  12. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Brake down a 36 resistance level.
    At 12:30 stop following the market
    And now has lag jumping up.

upload_2022-5-17_12-5-34.png

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  13. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

Venus in retrograde, Scorpio rising, with an ascendant Jupiter!

And U is tanking back down with the rest of the market.

I am not sure if printing more money is gonna solve this "crisis".

More flags and hashtags, and U will be back to its highs in no time.

atomicjoe and chingwa like this.
  14. giraffe1

giraffe1

Google 'Wyckoff Method' if you are going to participate in the stock market. It is essential reading and will save you a lot of grief and $$$. Good luck.

PutridEx and Ryiah like this.
  15. Ryiah

Ryiah

To be honest it looks way too complex for how little time I've spent with the stock market and how little money I have to work with. My current method has been to just buy low and sell high while setting up triggers to sell if it starts to dive and buy if I'm not around when it starts to climb.

My long term goal is to replace the limited triggers of my brokerage (TD Ameritrade) with custom scripts written in Python. I started playing around with them but I don't want to do more than monitor my positions until I'm positive that I fully understand the APIs. If all goes well I think I'll have finally found a use for my Raspberry Pi.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  16. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

At this very moment, SQQQ is crossing a resistance. This means the market can potentially go much deep down.
    Speculation>I will be no surprised if stocks go 50% deeper and Unity stock actually at 32, touch 15 before returning to normal.

[SQQQ]
    upload_2022-6-16_11-47-43.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  17. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

This is what Unity has become.

stain2319 likes this.
  18. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

THIS.

IOU_RAY likes this.
  19. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

20. stain2319

stain2319

I'll reiterate. Selling their stock is how CEO's get paid. It's normal. I'm not suggesting that Unity is a fabulous buy, just that "insiders selling their stock" is not really a good metric.

P.S. right now, everything is on sale. We might not have even hit the bottom yet but for those who are positioned to take advantage, there are historic buying opportunities.

chingwa likes this.
  21. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's stock doesn't pay dividends which means the only way to make money with it is to buy it low and sell it high.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  22. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I mean, if what you are after is making money, then yes, it makes complete sense.
    But that wasn't the primary goal when Unity was founded, was it?
    Now that's what's left.

IOU_RAY likes this.
  23. Ryiah

Ryiah

A company's goals are irrelevant. A CEO has to be paid or he won't stay your CEO for long. He's being paid in stock shares and when the time is right he sells them. It's as simple as that. There is no conspiracy here.

stain2319 likes this.
  24. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Welcome to a basic concept of economy xP

25. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

Has the CEO added $400M worth of value to Unity? Are you still holding Unity? Nobody said anything about conspiracy, but... can you show me that $400M worth of value he added? It certainly was not in market cap.

What is the first interest of the CEO of any company? Would it be basic economics to suggest a CEO's first interest is themselves, as they are human, and every human's first interests are themselves, or would it be the health of the company they are guiding? Do you see any indication that the CEO is interested in the long term health of Unity, or simply boosting share price long enough for his own interest? Is that the conspiracy you are alluding too?

What is his history, and the big riddle for U investors...

..if the CEOs main goal is actually the long term health of Unity, that means he intends to be around for the long term... ...is that a good or bad thing? If he stays long term, and continues to guide the company the way it is going now, what will it look like 5 years from now, with him still at the helm, or 10? Can Unity survive such robber baron robbery? When I invested in the market, I remember a favorite little rule of thumb that did me well; MANAGEMENT IS EVERYTHING. How is the management at Unity? Anybody know? Anybody know how to check the metrics? I do. How is employee retention? And since it is 2022, how is "essential" employee retention? Is that conspiracy? Do you even know?

If his main goal is as much money as quick as possible, and then off to the next company offering him a CEO position, where he can hype up the stock and then dump and earn more hundreds of millions, is that a good or bad thing for Unity? I'd say good. With his sorry ass out of the way, maybe Unity has a chance. Damage is done, but there is hope competence can come to the helm for a very rough storm ahead.

Either way, the damage has been done. (unless you have some conspiracy theory about how his removing $400M of value actually added $400M + profit to the value of Unity, just be sure to have your clown suit ready, cuz I'm ready to laugh), so the real question is whether Unity is better off with him getting the boot now, or later... ...or, is it too late for Unity?

All these corporations were as arrogant as NATO. Let's see how that chip sanction works out without Russian Neon, and nope, I'm not off topic. Even more interesting is how that chip sanction will work when China simply Seizes Taiwan (or "aggressively confirms its one china policy" or whatever the CCP wants to phrase it as)

It was you who was talking about investing, and talking about "chances" of the entire economy collapsing in the same sentence. Talking "chance" while also saying investing is not gambling. You are right, it's not gambling, but you are wrong to use "chance" when talking about economic collapse. Economic collapse is not luck, especially when economies are led by marketers and actors playing war against strategists and "presidents for life" of rising super powers and economies. Economic collapse is exactly what happens when marketers and actors play war against strategists and "presidents for life" of rising super powers and economies.

This isn't about the roll of the dice. Anybody that has seen what is happening for a decade can see what is coming.

So my advice to those who want to throw around terms like to "conspiracy" to mock and degrade well thought out analysis is this... buy more Unity stock and call us conspiracy theorists, cuz I'm proud of what I know, cuz, and nothing is "simple as that".

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    PutridEx and atomicjoe like this.
  26. Antypodish

Antypodish

Thats not exactly true.
    You can buy high and sell low too, to make money.
    It works both ways.

Ryiah likes this.
  27. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Yeah, thanks for lecturing me. I'm off.

Ne0mega likes this.
  28. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yes, it’s basic economics. The stock price was high after they propped it up with a bunch of false promises and pretenses, but insiders know their company is a dumpster fire and they were selling everything off, including their mothers.

Nothing to see here, move along.

IOU_RAY likes this.
  29. pekdata

pekdata

I would hope that the goal is to make great software AND make a lot of money but the two goals definitely can interfere with each other. Obviously once a company hits the stock market the value is all about
    expectations and perceived value instead of the actual concrete product. Most investors don't understand much about the technology anyway at least not in a practical way.

DragonCoder likes this.
  30. stain2319

stain2319

The CEO of the company I work for (which is a very successful and profitable company) was paid $6 million in cash last year and sold $60.6 million in company stock.

So if he didn't sell that stock he made $6 million, selling it means he made $66 million.

I know which one I'd choose.

And I'm not going to mention what company is but I almost guarantee you've heard of it. It's one of the most profitable companies in the world.

But by your logic, the CEO doesn't have any confidence in the company since he sold $60 million in stock? Yeah, okay. If you say so.

Ryiah likes this.
  31. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Nor does Unity, or they wouldn't F*** up their ad data.

32. Ng0ns

Ng0ns

Stock down from 200 to 30ish over the span of half a year. In what world does that merit a CEO even getting paid? I realize its not all on his shoulders, but whatever attempts done to course correct have clearly failed.

33. koirat

koirat

Option 1:
    He needed this money for his own investment etc.

Option 2:
    He knows stock is going to drop so he decided to sell while it is worth it.

What would be the point in selling such a big amount of growing stock just to have it as cash ?
    It's not like this money on his account will be a better investment.

34. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

All stocks are down due to pandemic's after effects and the war in Ukraine. That's not really on Unity's CEO. Although someone did drop the ball on that ad related fiasco recently.

35. You're just accusing someone of a serious crime... or you're just clueless how stock handling works when you're part of the decision making team at a company.

stain2319 and DragonCoder like this.
  36. Ryiah

Ryiah

How do you expect them or anyone else to course correct when they are dealing with the aftermath of one of the world's worst pandemics and a war with a country that has a crazed dictator with nuclear capabilities that people are worried may lead into the next world war?

I fully acknowledge that they have made their own mistakes but if you remove the above factors I guarantee you their stock would not have dropped anywhere near as much as it has. In fact if you look at other companies you'll see it's not just Unity that has dropped massively.

PayPal (PYPL) is down from $200 to $70. Meta (FB) went from $323 to $164. DocuSign (DOCU) went from $127 to $60. Atlassian (TEAM) went from $326 to $178. Microsoft (MSFT) went from $309 to $248. Amazon (AMZN) went from $169 to $106. These are just the companies that I recognize.

Edit: After posting I immediately thought of another factor: cryptocurrency recently crashed by $2 trillion. While that might not sound like it matters the reality is a lot of people had money invested in it including large financial firms that had decided it was starting to make sense to do so.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  37. koirat

koirat

What crime ?

Enlighten me.

38. Ryiah

Ryiah

What you described is called "insider trading" and is illegal. If you want more information go back and read the first page of this thread. We discussed this in detail with references.

39. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

"Insider Trading", aka Using intel of your own company to make investment decisions. That is of course against the law, otherwise CEOs or employees would buy mass stock every time right before announcing a new product, and sell afterwards for example.
    You never worked for a stock-marketed company I assume? They usually brief you in this context when you are onboarded because you very quickly count as an "insider" (for example just by knowing an non-public product launch date - you do not actually need to be a decision maker to be "insider") and then the same limitation applies to you.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1164964/000101968715004168/globalfuture_8k-ex9904.htm#:~:text=SEC Rule 10b-5 prohibits,corporate information to third parties.

40. koirat

koirat

I never said he was using confidential company data.
    He might have analyzed public data.

41. Ryiah

Ryiah

For the record that's not the only rule that has to be followed by executives. Announcing the trade to everyone is another rule they must follow. That's why we even know that it happened.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/02/061202.asp

DragonCoder likes this.
  42. koirat

koirat

I see everybody is IANAL only when we are talking about law regarding the software ;)

43. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

What exactly is your point in this discusion now?

44. Ryiah

Ryiah

I am not a financial advisor but that doesn't mean I can't learn and understand the rules.

45. koirat

koirat

You are talking about my last input ?
    Just made funny observation.

46. Others summed up the basics. Of course you can learn about these things for yourself too, the SEC doesn't keep the rules secret.
    I'm not a lawyer, obviously, but I'm part of a company which is on the stock market and I'm in somewhat decision making position (part of a team) and I own stock of our own company, so I have to know when can I sell or buy stock otherwise it would be an expensive mistake and I would end up in jail for quite long time.

stain2319 likes this.
  47. neoshaman

neoshaman

I wish I knew how to easily invest in stock from france, I know nothing about this domain lol
    But I guess it might a good period to get some cheap for long term investment if everything is down?

AlanMattano likes this.
  48. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Oh well, fear certain people here are not of the age yet to talk about stock market trading.
    The moderation can probably close this thread...

I'm out myself in every case.

49. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

Nobody here is a financial advisor, but... no. Reality is coming.

50. It wasn't 4chan, until you make it. This kind of conspiracy-theory-level stuff doesn't belong here. Hostile PR and all that BS.
    I'm not an advisor, so I won't compel you either way, it is your decision. It is easy to invest in these companies, they are on the NY exchange, I'm pretty sure there are some French brokers who can help you with investment.

Check out UBS (Swiss company), I have an account there (but this is no way an endorsement, you may or may not can find better company to broker for you in France, it is the best for me because they are handling my employer's accounts as well, so we have all kinds of advantages).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.