Search Unity

Unity Stock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlanMattano, May 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No, in the US it is prohibited by law to short for any insiders.

2. giraffe1

giraffe1

Hopefully op did not go long. $32 after earnings in after hours.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Anyone else tempted to pick up some shares in the hopes it skyrockets again?

stain2319 likes this.
  4. LeFx_Tom

LeFx_Tom

Without too much salt: why would it?
    Like seriously...is there anything for unity that you think will hugely impact there adoption or revenue in general for the coming months? Something people have not yet put into consideration and valued properly?

Or is the current stock value maybe more realistic after another disappointing gdc presentation with basically no real roadmap information in critical areas of development and a seemingly increasing discontent in it's user base?

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's past history has had it largely sitting around the $100 mark with occasional spikes in both directions.

https://money.cnn.com/quote/forecast/forecast.html?symb=U

Be careful how much value you place on the presentations at GDC. What we are paying attention to as developers is not the same thing that the investors are paying attention to.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    Antypodish and DragonCoder like this.
  6. LeFx_Tom

LeFx_Tom

Oh you'd be surprised about how untrue that actually is. I know that stock value and analyst value are not necessarily the same things but I also know that plenty of value investors strongly look at the market position that a company is in...and unity's market position is actually not very good at the moment.
    Unreal puts a lot of pressure from the top. Epic has become sort of a real powerhouse beating unity in a lot of highly profitable sectors, where it was in a very strong position before (almost all major automotive companies allow/strengthen the use of unreal in comparison to a majority of them looking towards unity just 4 years ago...believe me, i work in this field)
    Unity is recently noticeably forced to react...be it by things they announce or companies the acquire...rather than being able to act.

Furthermore unity has to feel increasingly pressured from below in the form of Godot becoming a viable alternative for many indies, which unity gracefully neglected in its hunt for a place in the shiny enterprise metaverse.

This, combined with a stock market facing big challenges after years of soaring profits because of immense Investment pressure fueled by basically inexisting interest rates and lack of other options to put your money for any kind of returns, puts the unity stock in a very uncomfortable spot when it comes to future profit estimates.

Being led by a CEO who is seemingly very good in boosting company value short term to create a successful IPO but has proven to run down company value in the long run over the course of his career is..not exactly good either

atomicjoe and stain2319 like this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Agreed, but it's likewise the reason why I expect shares to start going back up. If you look at the chart closely you'll notice that the stock started plummeting around the release of UE5, but we're now more than a month past it.

Just like I wouldn't pay too much attention to GDC, I wouldn't pay too much attention to Godot.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    xjjon likes this.
  8. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Everything's trending down right now. Stocks, crypto, all of it. It's bound to bounce back sooner or later. Perhaps not at ATH levels, but it'll go up.

9. LeFx_Tom

LeFx_Tom

I definitely not disagree here...i just disagree with the idea of it "skyrocketing"

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just getting back to previous levels is more than tripling it's most recent lowest value.

Antypodish likes this.
  11. LeFx_Tom

LeFx_Tom

That is how people around Autodesk spoke about blender for a long time....and now said Autodesk is scrambling to shake up new pricing models (Autodesk flex, 3ds Max Indie, etc) to stop bleeding out users to said "irrelevant competitor".
    Yes...the Autodesk stock is still going quite strong...but that was true for all of the tech world for the last two years. If you were even just loosely related to "digitalization", you were basically bound to profit.

Martin_H likes this.
  12. Ryiah

Ryiah

Blender took a very long time to reach that point though. I think it's easy to forget that Blender started life more than two decades ago. It's only relatively recently that it achieved its popularity.

13. LeFx_Tom

LeFx_Tom

True...and Godot also will need more time. I agree...but the signs are there, the foundation is laid out and if unity does not start to react, it will be put into a very uncomfortable spot, given that it cannot just exit to the upper market segment, as this is basically taken by epic.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not here to argue or preach. I just wanted to point out how I see things. Stock evaluation is mostly guesswork, if we're honest here. I appreciate your opinion and I completely accept that I might be very wrong with mine. I just wanted to add my evaluation to the mix.

Martin_H, Shizola and stain2319 like this.
  14. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

i think autodesk apps in direct competition with blender are a very small percentage of their income. Just repeating something I've read somewhere before.

15. chingwa

chingwa

This post needs an award, not just a like.

frosted, Ruslank100 and stain2319 like this.
  16. neoshaman

neoshaman

17. PutridEx

PutridEx

It's down by 14% to $34 (After hours trading). around half what it IPO'd for
    Sounds like investors did not like the q1 results/forecast.
    Although this isn't exactly about unity, the market as a whole is going through a phase due to current situation and, thankfully, investors are rethinking positions when it comes to companies that never made any profit..

Can't say I'm surprised. No profit, and they've been diluting the stock big time.
    Only god knows what they've been spending all that crazy amount of money on research for, I haven't seen anything that amounts to anything that big for the last few years.

To top this off they have strong competition when it comes to uses outside of gaming. It's tough to argue for unity when it comes to Archviz, and media uses compared to it's competition (to which it had already lost artists to). Just look at ArtStation, unity is near nonexistent. HDRP (the equivalent graphically speaking) is like a no-name engine.

Unreal 5 has a lot that is a huge help for people that aren't doing games (thus not hindered by performance constraints). Every single feature is helpful there.

Meanwhile unity started from near-0 with SRP.
    SRP could've been good, but for one reason or another it didn't go well.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    Rewaken likes this.
  18. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

This is impossible. this can't be happening. Do these out of touch wall street investors even know Unity changed their logo? How can they miss such important developments? And what about all sale proceeds for a month from the asset store going to Ukraine!? Clearly they don't know good management when they see it.

Kirsche, chingwa, AcidArrow and 2 others like this.
  19. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Wait till those fools see the stellar 2022 roadmap too ;)

20. Frienbert

Frienbert

I mean, all tech stocks have been plummeting the last few days. The major players lost more than a trillion dollars in stocks the last 4 days or so.

DragonCoder and stain2319 like this.
  21. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Unity’s stock is doing much worse than the average tech stock.

22. Antypodish

Antypodish

Maybe finally someone learned, that nothing in a world is certain. Ever growing prices and stocks is jus such bs.
    Even oil/gas once suppose to be stable assets, can drop down "randomly" in price by 30%. Checkout last decade stocks.

Crypto currency is doing this all the time past over decade. Fluctuating rollecoster. Housing estates same.

Artificial bubbles and speculations are norm. People buy things, when prices go up and the one who earns, are these, who drives speculations.

See Elon Musk and Tesla crypto related topics.

For me, buying low, and waiting 2 maybe 3 years is expected, before prices ramps up by few times base value. It is repeating trend on many stocks. Just wait some time, after bubble bursts.

23. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

If I remember correctly, the highest price of U stock I saw was before going public and was around 600U$D the day it launched. So is following down from that because of the tech market crash since September.

Untitled-1.png

I purchase some at 33
    but with a stop loss at 32
    Unity stock does not have a consolidated bottom price.
    I think it can go down much deeper.
    If crypto fails the tech market will follow.

El artista es el y su entorno

24. Frienbert

Frienbert

True but Unity doesnt have the trust and power these other tech companies have with investors. If the big players in the tech field are losing that much money the small players are going to crash even harder. Unity stock will go up again when the tech stocks go up. Rising tide lift all boats, etc. There are multiple reasons that hit all at once which are making investors flee the tech sector.

DragonCoder likes this.
  25. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I look forward to Unity becoming a penny stock so I can get that much closer to my dream of buying a controlling stake and shutting the company down.

NotaNaN likes this.
  26. EricFFG

EricFFG

We really need to see a vision from Unity about the future

Lighting per example has been an issue 10 years ago and still there is absolutely nothing in sight
    Now we are getting Enlighten back, just wow.

This headlessness is really devastating on the trust. A decade and still nothing even at the horizon and no roadmap, no communication about whats happening. This is the case for many things.

There needs to be a vision for this engine. Unity needs to stop selling the idea of making something and start selling actually making something production ready without a 100 plugins which all fall apart at the slightest breeze.

If Unity is not presenting a strong vision now soon, people will leave in droves to Unreal.

Edit: Looking at the 2021 Roadmap content, actually these have been many very good additions to be fair, but many things just haven't moved at all in so long and the goalpost has moved very hard

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    atomicjoe likes this.
  27. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Well, there is this roadmap where you can even submit suggestions:
    https://unity.com/roadmap/unity-platform
    But yeah, there's not a lot truly ground breaking there.

28. pbritton

pbritton

The loss in value is insane. I would still like for Unity to change their monetization strategy to a royalty base one.

29. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

This is funny and it makes all their data driven / survey / analytics approaches recently even funnier.

18ECE4DE-EDB5-4B60-A27E-4AC2B39338CE.jpeg

Also, it doesn’t really matter what they do with the engine. They are an ad company.

GCatz and stain2319 like this.
  30. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'll likely be picking some up at some point but right now my "investment" money is in transit from the crypto market where I was liquidity mining to the company that I trade stock through.

AlanMattano likes this.
  31. chingwa

chingwa

Man at this point just wait till it gets to $1.

stain2319 likes this.
  32. IOU_RAY

IOU_RAY

If you know the engine, or especially the latest LTS and their uh....amazing quality control....I would also like to echo your words....who in their right mind?

Martin_H likes this.
  33. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Fun!

34. Frienbert

Frienbert

apparently unity got bad training data from a large customer for their audience pinpointer tool that serves ads to customers which is estimated to make Unity lose $110 million this year. They actually had a good quarter but that affected their forecast. They gave out a ton of stock option compensation because they probably had such a great quarter but they def should not have knowing they have to retrain tier ad algorithm and the amount of money they are going to lose because of it.

35. Moonjump

Moonjump

A royalty based scheme likely has a lot of extra overheads and issues chasing up non-payers.

The subscriptions for Plus and Pro could do with an overhaul to bring in more customers by offering more value. An asset store discount and an allowance of free Unity Ads would be simple additions, and would likely lead to more spending on both, so a win for Unity.

PanthenEye likes this.
  36. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

It boggles the mind why they're not adding any value to their subscription service. People subscribe for three reasons - to remove the splash screen, mobile analytics features or they have to because they exceed the yearly revenue threshold.

There are potentially hundreds of thousands if not millions of users all over the world that don't exceed the revenue threshold but would subscribe to get speedtree, artengine and all the other acquisitions if they were bundled in an Adobe style package. Yet Unity keep all these tools segregated in numerous 3rd party subscription services that are targeted at high end industry people who are comparatively smaller in numbers. It's such a low hanging fruit...

Kirsche, IOU_RAY, Moonjump and 6 others like this.
  37. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

Unity's revenue strategy is fine.

They need to cut the fat parasites leaching off of the engineers, and hire more engineers.

They need people who QT based on reports of people about bugs, instead of telling people to file a bug report, and handing them a long form. It's like "crud, Unity has a bug, that just cost me tons of time" and Unity is like "We can afford tons of marketing, we can afford to give money to the Russians once they take it from the Ukrainians, but we cant afford to have somebody look into that for you, please package up a sample project and send us a bug report" What?

And this is coming from somebody who has not run into many bugs, or just works around them, rather than do Unity's QT work for them. They are a multi-billion dollar company... (or they were XD )

They need to make a game, not start to make a game, and then quit halfway through like 99.9% of gameDev noobs, because "we learned enough".

They need to make making a game almost as fun as playing a game, which they could do. They need to release beginner "make it yourself" packages, that make it simple to make a cookie cutter game, and effortless to integrate 3d models or sprites from other packages. Did I say other packages? I mean Packages made by Unity and sold at the EZ-Bake Unity asset store for cookie cutter games.

Blender is open source, they need to work with the people at Blender to make these things happen, if 3ds max and Maya don't want to. It's been 17 years, and Unity should have made model import from these packages WYSIWYG. And I know, "it's really complicated". Kind of, but hey, your engineers are 6 figs, so make them six figure it out.

They should also make a publishing house, so they can promote games made by these EZ-bake game-ovens, so people can easily make money off the games they make, if the game is good. And this is just simple Web 2.0 business modeling. Where would Youtube be if they were all marketing, and hyper technical super 65,000p resolution video hyper speed uploads, (with three different scriptable editing package in a state of flux for years) if they made the upload and livestreaming process require c#, and monetization require starting a studio and all the business hassle that comes with it?

With all that money they handed to Ukraine, they could have put together a team to make a do-it-yourself FPS and do-it-yourself Shmup and a do-it yourself platformer for noobs. And lets not even get started on all the cash they just handed to EA CEO. IS he really that important? IS he really worth $400M worth of engineers? HOW'S THAT WORKING OUT FOR YOU, UNITY?

But instead, they bring in a CEO from EA who obviously cares more about buddying up with Luxury car dealerships and marketers, and who turned EA into a lifeless corporate husk, and blame their marketing metrics for their failures. If they made great, innovative, easy to use products, they would not need to market, Web 2.0 would give them all the marketing they need.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  38. frosted

frosted

chrome_bITFyTKNtR.png

+20% this morning. Anyone buy yesterday? What a killer couple hours.

Antypodish and chingwa like this.
  39. chingwa

chingwa

LOL

frosted likes this.
  40. Antypodish

Antypodish

I did, 34% gain :)

frosted likes this.
  41. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

+1

PanthenEye likes this.
  42. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I think those at top of the parasite class either know the ocean is soon to swallow most of us so they are hoarding for their bunkers, or they are just greedy and lazy so robbing a company is more attractive than leading a company.

43. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I’m hoping ya all sold, because it’s going back down.

AlanMattano likes this.
  44. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Hope yes because @AcidArrow is scalping in a SHORT position ;) :p I'm joking

How soon! @EricFFG realize this. He entered the forum in 2021 and is his 16 post:

No vendas la piel del oso antes de cazarlo! ("don't sell the bear's skin before you have killed the bear.")
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/non_vendere_la_pelle_dell'orso_prima_di_averlo_ucciso

These gamma stocks are going down harder because it also goes up much faster.

There are two types of investors with different mentalities. The intraday trader trading also short and the investor long term 5yr.

I purchased at 29 went to 37 and held 33...o_O and thinking to switch to the SHORT side.:mad:

45. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I thought long term investing meant more like 40 years.

AlanMattano likes this.
  46. Antypodish

Antypodish

Long term can be anything from months to years.
    Depends on the strategy taken by a trader.

BIGTIMEMASTER likes this.
  47. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Bought 90 shares at market open this morning. That position is up over 15% already, so can't complain so far :p

AlanMattano and Antypodish like this.
  48. Martin_H

Martin_H

Funny how talk about gambling is fine here as long as you're gambling on unity stock :p.

49. Antypodish

Antypodish

Is not gambling, is investing and supporting in Unity :cool::p

Joe-Censored and AlanMattano like this.
  50. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Last edited: May 13, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.