Search Unity

Unity Starter Kits, what do you want?!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by willgoldstone, May 18, 2017.

1. junestone

junestone

RTS game! A complete RTS demo would be great help!

willgoldstone likes this.
  2. Guedez

Guedez

An actually good character controller that is fully open source.
    This is in my opinion, the ONE THING that is very hard to make, newcomers have no idea where to start and, depending on the type of game, the most important aspect of the game (think super mario)

And although the current character controller is serviceable, since it's not open source, you can't make head or tails on how it works. This was the hardest thing for me to figure out when I was starting with Unity.

Alverik likes this.
  3. Maulwurfmann

Maulwurfmann

What happened to the Tower Defense Starter Kit? I cant find it in the assetstore.

4. Gold_Rush

Gold_Rush

Maybe off topic. Sometimes I'm need free fonts, good quality textures and maybe music which I can use in my developments.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  5. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone

Long time no speak - my bad.

We've had a bunch of organisational changes that caused delays in keeping this project going - so apologies for the radio silence on this front, and for my lame excuses now - but I'm thrilled to say we finally have the Tower Defense Template project, and it's written manual ready for you to enjoy!

Download the Project on the Asset store-
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/tutorial-projects/tower-defense-template-107692

Visit the Learn website for the manual on the project -
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/tower-defense-template

Keep in mind that this project is for more experienced users already up to speed with the concepts of Unity and wanting to understand how to make a Tower Defense game of their own. You can take this template, extend it, replace it with your own artwork - do as you wish! I know it's a fruitless endeavour to ask you not to just ship it verbatim to the app stores as someone always does ;) so look forward to this appearing on a mobile device near you soon no doubt :p

Feedback
    For feedback on this template, please see the dedicated forum thread here -
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/tower-defense-template-project-feedback.513222/

And for future templates we will keep you posted on the next genre we'll be working on.

Thanks for your patience all!

Will

ps. you'll note I'm calling these template projects as the previous name 'starter kits' may have implied 'beginner' which these are not aimed at.

Moonjump, Supergeek, Baste and 3 others like this.
  6. rob8861

rob8861

Hi @willgoldstone
    Any updates you can provide about the new Unity Hub/Launcher? is it going to help users manage multiple installed versions of Unity as well as updates to currently installed engine versions?
    I find the current way of upgrading/patching Unity super outdated and inefficient.

Cheers,

7. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

DizzyWascal likes this.
  8. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

A quick update on this - we are using the team to work on new standard assets controllers, so the next thing you'll see to coincide with 2018.2 is a release of a new character pack.

Next we'll move on to a 2D match 3 template game, and a simple RPG template based on our current plans.

9. neoshaman

neoshaman

No open world yet ? Just jest, I bet you will not make a streaming terrain and streaming asset game up until terrain and job system are mature. Let's see what the 3d game kit evolve into too, that's meaty too.

10. Baste

Baste

Any details on what those standard controllers will consist of? first person, third person, physics-based, navmesh-based, etc?

11. GarrettDR

GarrettDR

I would like a 2D board game starter kit. There use to be one but it is no longer available. The second and most important to me is a 2D Pseudo Car racer. I dont want a 3d track in 2d perspective. I want one like exhibited here : http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/ I wish I was smart of enough to translate, but I am not.

12. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Please a starter kit with procedural planets that you can land and walk on.