Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Sprite support Sprite Dicing

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by yuewahchan, Feb 19, 2017.

1. yuewahchan

yuewahchan

ppoirier_sem likes this.
  2. ColossalPaul

ColossalPaul

Unity Technologies

We looked into this. It's on the list of stuff that we *could* do. Honestly there's not a lot of request for this. What is your use case, more info would help us decide... thanks.

3. pep_dj

pep_dj

This would be great! It will help to save texture memory, and it's very important on mobile devices.

ppoirier_sem likes this.
  4. ppoirier_sem

ppoirier_sem

Another cool feature the sprite dicing could allow, is to detect reuse in a texture (verify if there's already a block that can be reused for every block of a texture, so we wouldn't add a second identical block). It's a simple feature that helps to save even more texture memory. This is a crucial feature when developing 2D games on mobile.

5. ZimM

ZimM

39thstreet likes this.
  6. 39thstreet

39thstreet

Color me bewildered that a use case needs to be explained, but here goes:
    Mobile.

I guess more is needed? Heh. If you are at all concerned about texture memory, and have a game which involves larger animations/backgrounds, the savings from sprite dicing is significant. For example, 2400+ pixel wide backdrops (required for current top line phones) can at be packed into 2048x2048 atlases. That's an extreme example, but even just regular sprites used in game end up taking way less texture memory. This is not an issue for tile based games in general, but those are not the only kind of 2d games made.

This is one of the handful of features that's had me stuck with 2dtoolkit and unable to move to unity's sprite system after years of waiting.

7. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

Interesting feature. Especially for the optimization purposes.

But I think Unity Team should do Smart Sprites first, yeah, Unity Team?

8. Elringus

Elringus

I've happen to need this kind of functionality in one of my projects and assembled an open-sourced project: github.com/Elringus/SpriteDicing

Hope it could be helpful, until Unity implements the feature into the engine.