Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Unity Splash Screen is Gone, Build and in browser load times way up. 2019.3.11 and now 2019.3.13f1.

Discussion in 'Web' started by anarcheril, May 16, 2020.

1. anarcheril

anarcheril

Tried adding a custom splash screen, build would skip first splash screen, taking ~5s extra to load, and taking from on average 75 seconds to build to 440 (the ONLY change I made was to add a custom splash screen last thing before bed, had done a build less than a minute prior). Removing added splash screen has same effect, but now with no splash screen on build load. I have unity free, updating project versions did not change anything.

Let it be known I am not trying to cheat the splash system, this added build time is already severely gimping my development and testing time.

https://dpsgames.itch.io/precursor

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  2. anarcheril

anarcheril

So I'm explicitly clear, after trying to add a custom splash image, and the default Unity one completely disappearing I have
    +650% build times
    +100% load times (after download)

Please help, this has utterly demolished my prototyping workflow.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  3. anarcheril

anarcheril

Also asm2wasm.exe went from using maybe 1.5gb ram to finish building to over 6gb. I was planning to soon upgrade to Plus very soon once we had the prototype established, and now I feel like I'm forced into that and not even knowing if that will fix my problem.

4. anarcheril

anarcheril

Restarted computer and was able to get errors on build this time, lots of em, all the same (or one variant).
    https://puu.sh/FL7pF/65bb42cf91.png

"TLS Allocator ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD, underlying allocator ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD has unfreed allocations, size 7512
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)"

"TLS Allocator ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD, underlying allocator ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD has unfreed allocations, size 7512"

5. anarcheril

anarcheril

Loading problem appeared to be to some bunk shader variants, just the build time, am very tired will test more tomorrow. Build times still very large and no Unity splash screen.

6. anarcheril

anarcheril

Alright, I have fixed all of my issues but I am still on Unity free and do not have the Unity splash screen, as I said I was planning to upgrade to plus in the near future but would be more than happy to zip and upload my build to a unity representative.

The fix was quite simple, after a good sleep, and searching that error (which I could not get again this morning even after multiple prolonged builds), I simply had to clear what was definitely a corrupted cache,
    "Edit / Preferences / GI Cache / and Clean Cache".

Now my build times are lower than ever, 65 seconds, BUT I also DO NOT have the unity splash screen as previously noted. I'm quite indifferent about this, but this is obviously not the intended function of Unity Free, I was planning to add Unity as a sub icon on the main splash screen when we moved to plus anyway, but I don't feel it is just for me to stop development and public play-testing at it's most critical time or be forced to pay for my three team members to move to plus before we had intended or planned on. If a Unity rep could contact me on this I would sincerely appreciate that, not interested in getting into any trouble.

7. anarcheril

anarcheril

And now unity splash screen is back too after the 2nd build. Build and load times better than they've ever been!

Again, the fix was: "Edit / Preferences / GI Cache / and Clean Cache".

8. anarcheril

anarcheril

And the problem has returned to non-development builds after doing a deep profiler webGL build, will clear cache and check if it returns normal build times to under a minute.

9. anarcheril

anarcheril

I've added Unity to the sub splash icons as was planning to do when I moved to plus since I cannot consistently get it to show up.

10. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Thank you very much for your honesty. Could you please file a bug report? That would allow you to upload the project along with some meta information like logs that might help us to figure out what happened there.

If that somehow doesn't work, you could also PM me.
    Much appreciated :)

11. anarcheril

anarcheril

Will do Martin. Just doing another dev build to derp it up real good before sending it. (With instructions how to 'fix' it, but still have Unity splash screen removed). I've been using Unity for years and did not know the bug report feature was built in, haha, I've generally found an update or quick fix will solve the problem.

Also, fantastic work on the profiler (assuming your signature is accurate :p ), I never thought in a million years we would be destroying our edge case mins enough to have the game in browser!

I'm not sure if you'll be looking at my case, but if so, feel free to take a quick peak if there is anything blatant I've missed, pretty sure I'm getting to the performance bone (perhaps save some of the functionality prototype scripts).

MartinTilo likes this.
  12. anarcheril

anarcheril

Also, perhaps while I've got your attention :p , from my experience with many indie developers and a few serious games, they are under the impression the cloth system is either unreliable or completely dysfunctional. There is a very strange bug that has existed as long as I've used Unity (over 5 years now) that takes the unconverted coordinates from the .fbx as initial values for vertices despite the skinned mesh renderer showing otherwise.

Perhaps there is some documentation somewhere that specifies you have to have your skinned cloth based meshes around the bone root origin that it must be rotated 180s irrespective of the fbx export settings in blender, but I have never been able to find them and I don't think most Unity developers know. Perhaps there is a very technical reason why this is the case, but I can't see a read why with read/write access this can't be resolved. Alternatively I've been too incompetent and/or impatient over the years, but I really think 2020 is Unity's year to shine and would like to contribute as much as I can.Having full body character cloth that takes any indie developer less than an hour to set up and shader permitting can have 40+ characters on screen at a time I think would be quite a seller. (Probably would have taken me 30 mins to set up as originally envisioned, tbh I was fully expecting the new physics update to fix the problems I was used to or find a custom solution, but have getting a CS degree currently and was able to math and tinker it out).

I could not believe how fast and functional the cloth sim was after I thought I had fixed it, only to find my vertices were still inverted but having the location accounted for properly but not the rotation, the final fix legitimately had me tearing up when I saw it working on all my characters at over 150 fps (in editor actual, not projected).

P.S. I'm aware this issue might solely exist from the right hand conversion from blender, but the issue has been the same for several rigs for me over the years at which period only more and more artist moved to blender. (Especially on the indie scene)

13. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Thanks for filing the bug and thanks for the compliment on the Profiler :D. We're doing our best to make it even better ;)

I'll probably not be looking at the bug because we have a share of our own but if you post the issue ID here, I can ping it along :)

Regarding cloth: we are aware of cloth having issues but it'd still be good to get bug reports on them, so that we have as close to a full picture of what's breaking as possible. It had little traction for a while but a close colleague of mine is actively fixing bugs with it. You can ping me those bug IDs as well and I'll forward them.

14. anarcheril

anarcheril

Pm'd you it :)

MartinTilo likes this.