Search Unity

Unity Splash Scene takes very long to transition to the app's first scene

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by gfaraj, Feb 27, 2017.

1. gfaraj

gfaraj

After the Unity logo disappears, the screen stays blank for about 3-4 seconds and then it loads my first scene. This didn't happen before when I was using 5.4. I tried a new empty project with the same content as my first scene and it doesn't have this delay. I tried disabling anything that might be causing a slow-down and nothing has helped. What are some tips to avoid this long delay?

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

in 5.5 we draw the splash screen whilst the first scene is being loaded in the background, this means that if you have a large first scene then it may still be loading once the splash screen has finished. Try using an empty scene and see if you still have the issue. If it is a large scene then breaking it into smaller sub scenes and loading them in asynchronously at the start may be a good way to reduce the delay.

3. gfaraj

gfaraj

I actually disabled every script in the scene and the only thing that remains is my own company's logo as a UI image on the scene. There's nothing else there.

Here's the logcat output. If you notice, there's no output after 02-27 09:12:32.755 for about 6-7 seconds until it prints something about Unity Ads on 02-27 09:12:39.554. That is precisely the moment when the screen is blank. Could it be that Unity Ads is doing something that blocks execution?

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I'm afraid I dont know anything about Unity Ads. Can you disable it and re run to see if the delay goes away?
    You could also ask about Unity Ads in the forum https://forum.unity3d.com/forums/unity-ads.67/ or alternatively file a bug report.

5. ooblii

ooblii

I was having the same issue with our current game and 5.5.2f. The splash color would hang for addition 10 seconds or so after the logo disappeared. My solution was to disable the splash screen and instead create a (mostly) empty scene as a splash/loading screen while loading the main scene asynchronously. Creates a much nicer opening experience. Hope that helps.

karl_jones likes this.
  6. gfaraj

gfaraj

Sorry, it looks like it was caused by a large music track getting loaded. I changed it from "Decompress On Load" to "Streaming" and it seems to be much, much better now. My bad! Thanks for the suggestions though.

nb05 and karl_jones like this.
  7. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Great news. Glad to hear it was the scene size and not a bug :D

gfaraj likes this.
  8. ooblii

ooblii

Now that I think about it, I bet mine was the music track as well. Just optimized the import settings this morning and I noticed my loading scene was loading a bit faster. :D

karl_jones likes this.
  9. DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

I know this is an old thread (sorry!), but how did you optimise those import settings if you still remember?

10. Baste

Baste

It's a setting on the sound file. Just click any sound in your project, there's a "Load Type" dropdown. See what it does here.

11. pollyanne

pollyanne

Hi I know this is old but i'd like to thank this thread. I was able to resolve my issue. :)