Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity solutions for animating faces that may or may not have a face rig

Discussion in 'Animation' started by darshie1976, Jul 7, 2018.

1. darshie1976

darshie1976

Hi,

I have been using external tools that now are getting old and cumbersome, to use audio clips and lipsync them on a 3d mesh. The main issue is that these software are working only with pre-rigged meshes, that has facial rig or blendshapes; so if you do not have that, you have to spend time creating the morphs.

I was looking on the store and found some Unity based products; which is ideal for me so I can work with one environment, compared to now where I need to jump between maya and blender, beside unity. I do recall that Fuse generate facial blendshapes, so that would be a tool that could be feasible, even if it seems abandoned at this point.

What would you suggest for the following workflows:
    - Mesh with face rig/blendshapes; animated using an audio clip to create emotions and dialogues
    - Mesh without face rig/blendshapes; auto-rig the face and then apply animations using audio clips.

I know that there is no one-stop solution; but I would gladly deal with the less amount of software and environments; where possible. Thanks.

2. neoshaman

neoshaman

3. darshie1976

darshie1976

The issue is not the mesh per se; I have that; what I need is a way to auto-rig the face of these meshes, that are not rigged so I can drive the animations using an audio clip.

I could just use meshes that are pre-rigged; although that solution is just a partial solution :(

4. neoshaman

neoshaman

5. darshie1976

darshie1976

Looks like that site is dead. Also the price is quite high...I can pay a guy in China or East EU to do a rig for half the price, on few models :)

I know that it takes time to do the rigging; but what I am looking for is essentially what Mixamo does for the body, but for the face (upload a model, put markers, save the output mesh with the blendshapes on it). I don't mind spend hundreds for a software, as long as I can use it as long as I want, and on all the models I want :)

If someone made it for the body; there must be a way to do it for the faces too... it is just a matter of time probably

6. neoshaman

neoshaman

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  7. darshie1976

darshie1976

Thanks; seems they did up also their prices :) for that price I can totally cover my current artist for few months of work ;)

8. neoshaman

neoshaman

Well the full rig (in maya) is expensive (999), the blendshape collection (which I added the link later) is the same price (499)