Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity site hacked?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ForceX, May 1, 2017.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Too much "S*** happens" not enough "we're sorry we messed up" I think. And the answers are generally evasive and vague.

2. Martin_H

Martin_H

(from the FAQ on the blog)

What is that supposed to mean? Are there sites where I can enter my username and password combinations and they check it against all their known database dumps? If so, to me that sounds like a crazy risky thing to use, because those sites could either be compromised or phishing sites in the first place.

3. r618

r618

yes, there are actually ( without entering password, of course ) - e.g. https://haveibeenpwned.com/

angrypenguin, APSchmidt and Martin_H like this.
  4. Martin_H

Martin_H

Great... all my mail adresses have been in breaches except for the one I meant to be the throwaway gmx address.The Unity breach was not listed, but an Unreal breach was, that I don't remember hearing about. Also I didn't know I have an account on their forum but seems like I do.
    Thanks for the link.

movra likes this.
  5. TenKHoursDev

TenKHoursDev

Its probably good that we now know this has occurred. Many hacks go on undetected for months or the company gets held for ransom and never tells anyone.

Funny, I saw the 2FA and immediately enabled it but I had no idea this had occurred til now. I just checked my inbox but aside from a strange new Unity newsletter subscription, I have nothing from "outmine" at Unity as the Unity post suggests.

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

We only know because they defaced the forums though :)

7. Billy4184

Billy4184

I'm not entirely sure that this has anything to do with it but anyway...

After being prompted to change my password by Unity, I changed it (duh) to the same password as my email. Then early yesterday I have a successful sign-in to my account from an unrecognised device. Also, when I went to log in to facebook, I had to sign manually, whereas I'm usually automatically signed in. Passwords seemed to be unchanged, so I went ahead and changed them without a problem.

Anyway, I don't know if this was a result of the hack, or something else, but it would be a hell of a coincidence. So maybe the site is still dirty.

Martin_H likes this.
  8. TenKHoursDev

TenKHoursDev

D'oh!

9. aliceingameland

aliceingameland

Unity Technologies

I believe it means accounts have been checked against known hash lists from other known compromises, not specifically this incident. You can check yourself via a site like haveibeenpwned.com.

Ryiah and AcidArrow like this.
  10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Thank you, that makes sense. (maybe it should be clarified in the blog post itself? it's very confusing the way it is phrased right now)