Search Unity

Unity signs "multi-million dollar" contract to help U.S. government with defense

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zapan15, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Zapan15

Zapan15

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

3. xjjon

xjjon

Speaking of defense contracts, maybe they can continue/revive AA with modern graphics :cool:

4. neginfinity

neginfinity

And make it use visuals from the simpsons?

Martin_H likes this.
  5. Kirsche

Kirsche

The bad news around Unity just never seem to end.

6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Not new at all. The size of the deal is all that makes it noteworthy. People have been buying Unity licenses and using them for non-game stuff basically from the start, and that has definitely included defence projects. I vaguely recall in 2012 or so that Unity was one of the first engines to be officially vetted for certain types of use by some part of the US military.

7. xjjon

xjjon

Isn't it good news that more people want to use Unity to make real projects?

Joe-Censored and Claytonious like this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    chingwa and Claytonious like this.
  9. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

That's the nature of code and versatile software. It can be used for all sorts of things...

Joe-Censored and Claytonious like this.
  10. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes just the software being used and having direct contract is the difference. I'm not just talking about the licence.

11. xjjon

xjjon

Americas Army was one the first exposures to Unreal Engine for my gaming group back in the day. It was great fun for us but also provided lots of exposure for the new game engine.

The article doesn't say what type of 'simulation' programs might it be used for but given how gaming have only become much more popular and AA has been shut down...hell, it's about time :D

Joe-Censored likes this.
  12. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's very likely training simulations including stuff involving XR. Don't get your hopes up.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  13. Claytonious

Claytonious

What is bad news about unity being used for serious simulation work? Sounds like great news to me.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  14. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'm thinking that Tencent, a Chinese company, having a 40% stake in Epic Games would make the US military uneasy about going with Unreal. Unity is the most logical alternative.

Yeah I was wondering if we'd see a Unity release of America's Army after this announcement :)

MadeFromPolygons, Ryiah and spiney199 like this.
  15. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Microsoft did a hololens contract with the military a while ago now. Almost all hololens content is built using unity (I know as I used to be a hololens developer working alongside multiple major govermenment agencies etc at the time).

So unity has been used for military for ages now both directly via contracts for usage of unity itself, and indirectly via contracts for platforms that use unity almost exclusively as their tool for content generation (such as with XR platforms or mobile) - none of this is new.

If the military want to make content, they will get the industry standard tools to make said content. Nothing really good or bad about this, its just part of having a content creation tool that does what they need it to do - if it meets their requirements they will use it.

Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  16. derkoi

derkoi

Just need these guys to work on the simulation now and America can sleep safe at night. :D