Search Unity

Feedback Unity Shader Graph Feature Request

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by FGPArthurVII, Apr 22, 2020.

1. FGPArthurVII

FGPArthurVII

Good Day Everyone,

When working with shader graph I noticed that If my nodes are connected to the Master, everytime I update it in some way, adding more nodes, properties, anything the more effort I put in the slower and slower It gets, so I have to stop, wait for Unity to come back from it's faint so I can go back to work again. Well It would be normal If I was making a monster shader with mindblowing effects, but It seems more like something inevitable, the fact is, my shader is not that PC killer stuff, In fact, It seems to be more related to the number of nodes Itself. It also happen when creting new properties If you have many, input the property's name, hit enter and prepare for having to wait for Unity to finish Its seizures. My PC has 8GB RAM, a core i5 and a GTX 1080, so It's not that bad to have trouble that easily.

I imagine It may be related to the fact that Unity has many systems and sub-systems all working to provide all f It's features, so when It tries to update the shader It ends up having to make a lot of effort and takes time. If that's the case, a solution would be to make Shader Graph a separate program, make It standalone. Let it import your mesh in, maybe entangle it directly to the prefab in Unity r something, let me have a simple model viewer so I can swiftly check the results. Make it in a way that It does not have to deal with many stuff to update, just the shader stuff, In fact, what If I want to close Unity altogether and only have shader graph working? It would be interesting to just open the Shader Graph and work on a shader instead of having to open Unity, open your project, waiting for it to load all of It's thousand functions just to work on that.

Another benefit of that was having Universal shaders, in other words, a shader that works between projects. If I have a project in which I want an especific shader, I could just import It from the new Shader Graph If I have previously made It, instead of having It directly associated to the project files. This way, If I want to make a new project and still have that same shader I wouldn't need to open my older project and export the package or doing the whole shaderwork all over again, I just pull it from my shader Graph library and that's It.

Thanks,
    Arthur