Search Unity

Unity Shader Complier uses too little cpu resources

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Babybus_Study, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Babybus_Study

Babybus_Study

Hi,

I'm using Linux to build our projects, but I found it takes forever compiling shaders. I check the cpu usage and found unity bearly using any cpu power to compile the shaders.

Snipaste_2020-11-18_18-03-23.jpg

Our Machine spec is like this:
    CPU : intel i9 10900k. 18 cores 36 threads
    Mem: 64G

OS wise is a little complicated: the Editor is running in docker container, and host machine is CentOS 7, but the container image is based on ubuntu:18.04, in fact the docker image is modified from this repo: https://gitlab.com/gableroux/unity3d

Unity Version: 2019.4.14f1

The Unity Shader Compilers use only 100% single core power, that's way too little, Is there a way to optimize the cpu usage? or it's just a bug?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  2. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

@Babybus_Study, can you report this using "Help -> Report a Bug"? Please include your screenshot and other information you included here. It's good stuff.

3. Babybus_Study

Babybus_Study

is it ok to not include project files? our project is huge.

4. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

@Babybus_Study, you do not have to include your project. With something like ShaderCompiler we can find an internal project to use.

When you send a bug report, you can remove files we automatically attach. In most cases, having the repro project helps 1000%. If we can't repro it using an internal project, someone may reach out.