Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity scenes on editor, a talk about how now work and what should be the next step.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Theroxas, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Theroxas

Theroxas

Hi,
    I have been depeveloping with Unity for 4 years for now and one question keeps spinning in my head after all those years.
    Do you think that Unity scenes should have a window to manage them?
    I have been searching for assets that improve the wokflow with scenes and I have found those asset, I know there's some more of them but those 2 explain quite well what I'm trying to explain:
    Right now to manage build scenes is in one window, to manage all the scenes is in Project window and to change and set active scenes in Hierarchy.
    The assets that I mentioned, try to work around this lack of capabilities by grouping all those features in one window. Even the second one allows to improve the multi-scene system for Unity by making collections of scenes to load/unload them all at once.

And talking about scenes, which scenes system do you use normally, the single mode, trying to enforce one scene funcionality or multiple scenes to separate work.

From my point of view Unity needs an alternative of the usage of Project window, Hierarchy window and Player Settings, but maybe is not a prioritary feature. A window with all scenes with capabilities to filter them like project should be fine. Maybe Project window with the filter for scenes is not enough to manage games with a large amount of scenes which ends hidding in a large structure of folders even with the filters.

What do you think, what system do you use on your projects? Do you think that Unity really needs this feature?

*Please notice that I am not trying to make any type of asset promotion, just discussing the actual state of the management of scenes in the editor.